Import Lot Coordinates Into Home Design Software?

gpsgeekoid

This might be a bit off topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask... I have a Garmin Vista HCX. My home design software has a "terrain import" function that allegedly can use GPS data but I can't find much detail on how one is supposed to get from a downloaded track of GPS coordinates to the relative cartesian formats it accepts. They only mention "you may need to use third party software".

The home design software wants "X Y Z" or "Y X Z" data in .TXT, .CSV, .PRN, .XYZ, .AUF or .NEZ format. It can be space or comma delimited.

Is there any reasonably priced (or even free) software that can convert a downloaded Garmin GPS track into cartesian XYZ coordinates in feet? Or perhaps work with GPX files?

If the above isn't realistic, is there any sofware that will manually convert GPS points (i.e. one at at time) to X-Y coordinates in feet? I know the elevation data from a GPS is notoriously innacurate (especially in the northern USA). But I can use a grade pole and laser to measure the relative elevations where they're critical--but I still need the GPS X-Y data to locate the measurement points.

It's a several acre parcel and there's not a straight property line anywhere--it's a very complex shape. Without paying a surveyor $2000+ (I got a quote) it's really difficult to place anything on the property with even modest accuracy.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Up until know I've mainly used the GPS for staying on trails in deep snow, recording tracks for fun, etc. Thanks in advance.

Edited by gpsgeekoid

This might be a bit off topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask... I have a Garmin Vista HCX. My home design software has a "terrain import" function that allegedly can use GPS data but I can't find much detail on how one is supposed to get from a downloaded track of GPS coordinates to the relative cartesian formats it accepts. They only mention "you may need to use third party software".

The home design software wants "X Y Z" or "Y X Z" data in .TXT, .CSV, .PRN, .XYZ, .AUF or .NEZ format. It can be space or comma delimited.

Is there any reasonably priced (or even free) software that can convert a downloaded Garmin GPS track into cartesian XYZ coordinates in feet? Or perhaps work with GPX files?

If the above isn't realistic, is there any sofware that will manually convert GPS points (i.e. one at at time) to X-Y coordinates in feet? I know the elevation data from a GPS is notoriously innacurate (especially in the northern USA). But I can use a grade pole and laser to measure the relative elevations where they're critical--but I still need the GPS X-Y data to locate the measurement points.

It's a several acre parcel and there's not a straight property line anywhere--it's a very complex shape. Without paying a surveyor $2000+ (I got a quote) it's really difficult to place anything on the property with even modest accuracy.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Up until know I've mainly used the GPS for staying on trails in deep snow, recording tracks for fun, etc. Thanks in advance.

Check out GPSBabel - I'm not sure it will do what you want, but it does a lot of converting of waypoints.

Check out GPSBabel - I'm not sure it will do what you want, but it does a lot of converting of waypoints.

Thanks. It looks interesting. I've found another GPS import option that might work as well. Ideally I want to be able to pick a lot stake (i.e. southwest corner) and mark that as "0,0,0" and have all the other GPS points be referenced to it.

GPS Visualizer is a web based front end for GPSBabel that is a useful tool.