Etiquette question regard another geocachers caches

bmsterling

it dependes on if they are still playing or not. sometimes as much as we want to keep up with our caches

life gets in the way. so its not always their fault.

but i always carry extra logs and gaskets stuff like that whith me while im caching.

if i find a cache that needs help ill fix it up while im there. and put it in my log so that

the c/o knows and it may save them a trip out to the cache site.

i look at it as im already there and gas is expensive so if i can save them a trip i will.

also i never replace a container unless i talked to the c/o. unless it is just destroyed

and i have the same type of container. but i never just replace one because i cant find it.

but i do own alot of active caches and if someone emailed me i wouldnt get upset if they asked if they could replace one that

has been missing. or just do some maintenance on it. i would replace the container or logs to them when i saw them at an event or on the trail.

but some people may feel diff. about it.

hope that helps some

While I do not disagree with the previous post, I do feel that if a particular CO shows a propensity for not maintaining their caches, I certainly wouldn't "help" them. It only promotes more of the same.

OP refers to archived caches, but I don't see a problem with that because if archived, they technically do not exist anymore. However, if the OP means disabled, that is a different story.

Log replacement (temporary) is a good thing, drying out a cache is the same, and a few other minor problems. A Needs Maintenance log should also be posted. Continued NM logs without action on the CO's part generally calls for a Should Be Archived log. There are plenty of geocachers out there that will place AND maintain their caches. Enabling a "non-maintainer", is not the way to go.

My 2¢

While I do not disagree with the previous post, I do feel that if a particular CO shows a propensity for not maintaining their caches, I certainly wouldn't "help" them. It only promotes more of the same.

OP refers to archived caches, but I don't see a problem with that because if archived, they technically do not exist anymore. However, if the OP means disabled, that is a different story.

Log replacement (temporary) is a good thing, drying out a cache is the same, and a few other minor problems. A Needs Maintenance log should also be posted. Continued NM logs without action on the CO's part generally calls for a Should Be Archived log. There are plenty of geocachers out there that will place AND maintain their caches. Enabling a "non-maintainer", is not the way to go.

My 2¢

Yes. I agree.

There may even be cachers waiting for some of those locations to become available so they can plant and maintain a cache.

Thanks for the responses.

Just some clarifications, when I say archived I mean when I view their profile of caches some of them say archived. Good point on the "waiting for location", didn't think of that.

I guess I'll go the route of replacing logs and minor clean ups.

Again, thanks for the responses.

My 2¢

I totaly agree with this.

My 2¢

I agree totally!! The cache owners need to maintain their caches - not the cache finders. NM logs to get the 'archival' process moving. Once archived, it'll open up an area for new cachers who WILL maintain the caches.

For the original poster - If you want, you can try to e-mail them and request to ADOPT their cache/s. If its a neat cache, then its probably worth adopting. But if its a plain old tupperware container - you're better off just letting it get archived and come up with your own unique container & creating your own cache page(that's part of the fun!!).

In my area..we have monthly group meetings. We know a lot of the geocachers in this area and everyone helps eachother out with maintenance. I've often changed logs and containers for people in the group. They'd do the same for me if I needed it.

Hello, I'd like to add a second question to this thread as I think it applies. There is a multi cache in my area (in fact the closest cache to my house) and the cache itself is missing. I've posted a "needs maintenance" and I've e-mailed them. No response. They've not logged in in over a year and it's killing me to not mark it as found. What should I do?

Hello, I'd like to add a second question to this thread as I think it applies. There is a multi cache in my area (in fact the closest cache to my house) and the cache itself is missing. I've posted a "needs maintenance" and I've e-mailed them. No response. They've not logged in in over a year and it's killing me to not mark it as found. What should I do?

Submit "Needs Archived" so the Reviewer sees it.

Submit "Needs Archived" so the Reviewer sees it.

Yes this is exactly what you should do. I have done it many times.