Pocket Query crashes MobiPocket?

LazyLeopard

Same thing here. m505. It crashes repeatedly after a Find. Not the first find, but after the second find on the same query while the Find window is still open. Fatal error, have to reset.

Is it not possible to use any ebook reader or are these pocket queries specifically Mobi format. Pardon my ignorance... I am new PDA user.

The problem is simple...MobiPocketicon_smile.gif-

Lots of folks are finding out what Palm users have known for a while, Mobi was a great idea once but has since become a bloated pile of dookie that is trying to become the One Ring To Rule Them All for Palm Document reading.

So of course the features get layered on, the bugs become many, the propietary nature starts creeping over the landscape....

Just say no.

With apps like CSpotRun, Plucker, and the like why bother with Bloat and BS?

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by TeamWSMF:

I do not have a clue what you are talking about. Are you making fun at my PDA ignorance?

Perhaps if you clearly explained how one would utilize the applications you quoted to open and view the eBooks that Groundspeak produces, it would be much appreciated.

I have complete faith that Jeremy choose the best reader and format that was available to deliver the Palm readable cache files. As many have come forward with alternate options, as you have done, I wonder what makes you an expert over Jeremy and Elias?

Unfortunately, it has been my very brief experience that the Mobi reader is completely unusable on my out-of-the-box, brand new Palm. This is unfortunate as this was the sole reason I bought it.

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

quote:
Originally posted by TeamWSMF:

I do not have a clue what you are talking about. Are you making fun at my PDA ignorance?

Perhaps if you clearly explained how one would utilize the applications you quoted to open and view the eBooks that Groundspeak produces, it would be much appreciated.

I have complete faith that Jeremy choose the best reader and format that was available to deliver the Palm readable cache files. As many have come forward with alternate options, as you have done, I wonder what makes you an expert over Jeremy and Elias?

Unfortunately, it has been my very brief experience that the Mobi reader is completely unusable on my out-of-the-box, brand new Palm. This is unfortunate as this was the sole reason I bought it.

I think that the Groundspeak folk did the best job they could have in the time they did it in given the constraints they were working under.

I think that now, as always, they should be applauded for the effort they put into it.

I also think that your last paragraph is typical of Palm-OS user's experience with Mobi. Why this is true has been explained in other threads by people more knowledgeable than myself.

I am looking forward to the GPX-derived format and the opportunity to use the results it provides.

I am sure that this will greatly improve pocket-query usability for those people like you and I who bought a PDA to use with pocket-query only to find out that mobi is too unstable to use.

quote:

I have complete faith that Jeremy choose the best reader and format that was available to deliver the Palm readable cache files.

[ ... ]

Granted, it's late and I'm tired, but does anyone else see a problem with that line of logic?

quote:

As many have come forward with alternate options, as you have done, I wonder what makes you an expert over Jeremy and Elias?

An expert over??? Thats an odd way to phrase it.

Simply speaking as an end user I have been able to use the tools crafted by other folks to read geocaching data on my palm for months now.

I have not had to use any one particular reader to use these methods nor have I had to worry about EULAs such as MobiDoc....

An expert over? Jermey's expert nature is in having forged a place folks can share geocaching data to become a community. I have found others "expertness" in using that shared data pretty darn amazing.

I think everyone here can learn from each other, it would be a shame to waster the vast talent that is surrounding us. If any one thing can be seen in the shared community of the net, paths are found around roadblocks.

beep beep.

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

I'm running a Sony Clie' T665C with Palm OS 4.1. I open the prc file delivered to my e-mail, hot sync the unit & I'm off & running. I've had no difficulty or errors yet. The MobiPocket reader runs very quick & trouble free. Played with it quite a bit & have not been able to produce an error yet. Great job,team Groundspeak. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

Works fine on my Palm M125. Used it all last week while on vacation with no problem. Returned home to find additional improvements have been made like the appendix for hints. I may never have to print a hard copy again!

I agree with Gimpy.

quote:
Great job,team Groundspeak.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

Ok, those of you who have no problems, can you please let on a few pertinent details, like which version of which reader you're using on what PDA, and how many caches (on average) your .prc file contains.

I've installed three .prc files so far, each containing listings for 200 caches, and every single one of them has crashed MobiPocket 4.4 within 3 minutes of my starting to read it on my m105. It's paper-clip time every time.

Are there any other readers that'll run on a Palm m105 and handle the .prc files?

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I'm also running MobiPocket 4.4 & loading 200 caches. What Palm OS are you running? I'm running 4.1. Would that make a difference? I'm still having no problem at all. Just got another query for my upcoming Cape Cod vacation, & it too loaded & reads just fine. Don't know what to tell ya. icon_confused.gif

"Gimpy"

I worked through a problem with someone else. It turned out that people who add incorrectly formatted HTML in their cache descriptions sometimes cause problems (though not to the extent of your difficulty, Lazy Leopard). I can't find a requirements list for the Palm on the Mobipocket site to help you further.

One suggestion is to try a sample from another location (like another state). If you can open that one, there may be a local geocacher with horrible HTML skills. I'm working on ways to strip poor html but it's not a fun task.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

It turned out that people who add incorrectly formatted HTML in their cache descriptions

As I mentioned previously, my m505 crashed when searching for a cache.

After reading Jeremy's post, I tried to retrace the exact steps that caused the crash. Sure enough, the search I was doing was always for the same query string which always resulted in the same cache page description coming up on the second find.

I have a few other readers installed on my Handspring that are used for reading *.prc files. I would rather see files that can be used with those other readers rather than MobiPocket.

The other readers cannot read the files designed to work with MobiPocket. One thing I have found is that if you even try to open one of these files with a reader like SmartDoc, the file will no longer be able to open with MobiPocket. The file then needs to be reinstalled to the Handspring.

That's my experience.

quote:
people who add incorrectly formatted HTML in their cache descriptions sometimes cause problems
I'll check that next time it crashes. One of the descriptions that crashed my Palm did definitely have garbled characters (presumably something non-standard, like smart-quotes) in its title, but this doesn't seem to be a guaranteed indication of problems ahead.

Another thing I've tried, with some success, is to split my search into smaller areas. Appears to help.

quote:
I'm working on ways to strip poor html but it's not a fun task.
Good Luck! icon_smile.gif When you get it working, please can you add it to the cache-description editing page script too, so that the bad stuff never gets in? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk