Geocaching: More addictive than cigarettes?

seabass777

Recently, I have been finding myself on the geocaching website more and more. So much, it seems it is addictive. I just have a itch every time I see my GPS lying on the table to go out and find a cache, even though I have other things to do. On weekends, I usually just go crazy and try to find every cache in range. There is this adrenaline rush every time I go to find a cache, and when I find one, its like I found a massive treasure, even though it might just be a logbook.

My question is, do any of you feel the same way? That geocaching is addictive to a point?

OK, just looked OP, you've got 10 finds. So yeah, when I was new I felt like you, wanted to geocaching every chance I could get. The first 3 months were intense. It has slowed down somewhat, especially as I've found most of the caches close to home.

That used to be my problem too, before I moved to another city.

I had already found most caches in my hometown (except for some Mysteries-I don't like em)

and all other ones where too far away, even by bike (remember, I'm from europe, so we don't drive so much;plus I don't have a car).

That's why I was happy to move, so now I got a whole new town to explore (and btw, caching really helps if you move to a new town, you get to know it better in three weeks than some in 3 months ;) )

I think geocaching starts out as an infatuation for many. Then the attraction settles down.

It's not addictive in the sense tobacco is for sure - with geocaching a lot of people start, get in big-time and then drift off, or just quit when circumstances change (move, new job, lose job, marriage, divorce, birth of child, death in family).

Pity cigarettes don't work that way...

I was able to quit smoking no problem. My premium membership expired and nearly had a panic attack.

I know that feeling. I think ours expires next week.

MUST figure renewal into the budget :unsure:

OK, just looked OP, you've got 10 finds. So yeah, when I was new I felt like you, wanted to geocaching every chance I could get. The first 3 months were intense. It has slowed down somewhat, especially as I've found most of the caches close to home.

That is why we only go for the ones nearby when we have "only a short time" to look. We usually go out weekly or so, away from home & make a full day of it about an hr from home.

Yes, eventually even those within an hr will be done & we'll have to go even further. But for now it works for us :laughing:

In the course of my regular work I am in contact with persons who have addictive issues among others, it prompted me to think about becoming a Psychologist after retirement and have a second career, so I started looking into the subject. I am no expert, but Flow Psychology seemingly fits the addictive model. There is no doubt in my mind that there are persons who are in fact addicted, they have withdrawl and some I have seen actually need a "fix" or a find and until they do they are anxious and agitated. Look up Flow Psychology and see for yourself.

Some of the elements are:

1.Clear goals that, while challenging, are still attainable.Find Cache

2.Strong concentration and focused attention. Self explanatory

3.The activity is intrinsically rewarding. It is fun

4.Feelings of serenity; a loss of feelings of self-consciousness.

5.Timelessness; a distorted sense of time; feeling so focused on the present that you lose track of time passing. Quick park and grab that actually took 30 minutes

6.Immediate feedback. Bingo , log it , smiley

7.Knowing that the task is doable; a balance between skill level and the challenge presented.

8.Feelings of personal control over the situation and the outcome.

9.Lack of awareness of physical needs.

10.Complete focus on the activity itself.

Flow theory also talks about dopamine flooding and the good feelings that come from that, that is where addictive hold takes place. Look it up for yourself. Enjoy it but don't let it control your life.

course, I know my share of cachers who smoke so they are not mutually exclusive, sadly.

Yes, for me, it is hard to not want to get the newest Wherigo or newest puzzle or even that darn nearest rock wall hide to my house.

:blink:<_<:anicute::laughing:

Love the log.

Edited by jellis

It's better for you than smoking!! GET ADDICTED to Geocaching!!!

When we first started last April - it was all we wanted to do. Get out and geocache!! Had a great time!!!

But, you eventually 'slow down' - more or less because you've already picked through the local caches and you have to drive further and further away to get to them, which requires more time.

When you've slowed down and find your niche (per say), you start looking at goals, looking at puzzle challenges, getting out with your local cache group, or just making PLANS to visit certain areas or do longer hikes, doing a bike trail..etc.

That money you spend on cigarettes....will go towards gas to find more geocaches!!

Recently, I have been finding myself on the geocaching website more and more. So much, it seems it is addictive. I just have a itch every time I see my GPS lying on the table to go out and find a cache, even though I have other things to do. On weekends, I usually just go crazy and try to find every cache in range. There is this adrenaline rush every time I go to find a cache, and when I find one, its like I found a massive treasure, even though it might just be a logbook.

My question is, do any of you feel the same way? That geocaching is addictive to a point?

i'm smoked out. nothing close anymore.