Suggestion for Photo Album

Prime Suspect

I just uploaded the 29 images from a cache camera to the cache page. It creates a link on the main page for every image uploaded. It would be nice if cache owners could upload these types of pictures in more of a photo album format, with only a single link to it on the main cache page. The album could work like the existing page for displaying the images that cache finders upload - one main picture, with clickable thumbnails for the other images below it.

PS_sig.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on June 08, 2002 at 08:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by M-D-M Explorations:

Can you post a NOTE instead of a FIND to the cache log and then upload the photos to the NOTE just like photos in a FIND report? Then you would have the thumbnails all on one page.

Yes, but then they are linked to the log entry, and will quickly scroll off the main page.

PS_sig.gif

If I understand correctly, what you are saying is having an album for all the pictures of a particular cache no matter who logged them. This would be a great feature. One of my caches requires a picture and now I have to look at each individual log. All the pictures for one cache in one place (album) would be great!

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

If I understand correctly, what you are saying is having an album for all the pictures of a particular cache no matter who logged them. This would be a great feature. One of my caches requires a picture and now I have to look at each individual log. All the pictures for one cache in one place (album) would be great!

No, that's not what I mean. I want the cache pictures that are uploaded by the cache owner to be organized in the same manner as those uploaded by people who have logged a cache. This gives you the nice thumbnail images and navagation.

It's weird that the people logging a cache have this, but not the cache owner. Yes, the owner can post a log, and upload pictures to it, but that will scroll off the main page fairly quickly.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
I want the cache pictures that are uploaded by the cache owner to be organized in the same manner as those uploaded by people who have logged a cache

I don't understand what you mean..

For me it al works great.. The pictures of a find log are in thumbnails on the bottom of the page..

And for the cache pictures that the creater of the cache has uploaded they are in the right place.. and I see no need to make thumbnails from them.. The text or name the creater has given the pictures are sometimes spoilers to..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

quote:
Originally posted by Irresisti:

I don't understand what you mean..

For me it al works great.. The pictures of a find log are in thumbnails on the bottom of the page..

And for the cache pictures that the creater of the cache has uploaded they are in the right place.. and I see no need to make thumbnails from them.. The text or name the creater has given the pictures are sometimes spoilers to..

Take a look at this cache page and tell me that this set-up, with 29 picture links is somehow preferable to having a single link that takes you to an album-like page with thumbnails.

PS_sig.gif

I understand what you want.

If you have a place to host the pics. it's a breeze. If not...then it's not easy. I can make a template page for you that will have thumbnails of each photo. Let me know.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

While Jeremy COULD spend the extra time to create a photo album, I'd recommend http://www.imagestation.com/

Imagestation is an off shoot of a former site called ZING. They licensed/sold their technology to Sony and later ZING went under but being SONY, imagestation is still going strong.

Some features include:

Public Albums

Nice layouts

Themes

Password protected albums

Awsome printing applet that I've used quite a lot!

Check it out. You may find it to be an excellent option for what you want, then you just post the link!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

While Jeremy COULD spend the extra time to create a photo album, I'd recommend http://www.imagestation.com/

The photo album code already exists. (Is anybody paying attention here?) It's being used to display cache logger's pictures. I just think the same interface should be used for displaying cache owner pictures.

I'm not really sure why this concept seems so difficult for people to grasp.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I understand. You are asking for Geocaching.com and or Groundspeak to do this for you. Until that time (if it ever comes) you have been givin a number of good examples on how to do this yourself.

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by M-D-M Explorations:

Can you post a NOTE instead of a FIND to the cache log and then upload the photos to the NOTE just like photos in a FIND report? Then you would have the thumbnails all on one page.

quote:

Yes, but then they are linked to the log entry, and will quickly scroll off the main page.

Post the note with a date well into the future. Then it will stay at the top for a while.

It would be cool if there was a built-in feature to do this without posting a note...

25021_1200.gif

quote:

It's being used to display cache logger's pictures. I just think the same interface should be used for displaying cache owner pictures.

http://gdbclub.org/GeoCache/PS_sig.gif

Ahhh. I see what your are saying. Adapt the log entry photo album code... good idea!

As for your other comment... most of the time I'm asleep! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

It's being used to display cache logger's pictures. I just think the same interface should be used for displaying cache owner pictures.

http://gdbclub.org/GeoCache/PS_sig.gif

Ahhh. I see what your are saying. Adapt the log entry photo album code... good idea!

As for your other comment... most of the time I'm asleep! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command