HP Tablet and GSAK

Stripes17

Greetings! This old guy needs some advice. :-)

I currently download PQ's into GSAK (& MS Streets and Trips)on my home PC and then further download to a Palm Pilot via CacheMate and the coord's to our handheld GPSr units.

I have a chance to pick up one of those discontinued 32g HP tablets at a good price. However, I am not familiar with tablets in general. My kids tell me that I won't have icons and programs like I am used seeing to on my PC.

Basically, I am lost.

What I am looking to do is to buy the HP tablet (I think this one uses WebOS), load GSAK on it, and download PQ's from GC.com using WiFi hotspots, etc. while we're out in the field. I plan to leave the tablet in the cachemobile and use my handheld GPSr to find the caches.

I'd appreciate any input on this (will it work? am I really that out of touch technologically? etc.)

Greetings! This old guy needs some advice. :-)

I currently download PQ's into GSAK (& MS Streets and Trips)on my home PC and then further download to a Palm Pilot via CacheMate and the coord's to our handheld GPSr units.

I have a chance to pick up one of those discontinued 32g HP tablets at a good price. However, I am not familiar with tablets in general. My kids tell me that I won't have icons and programs like I am used seeing to on my PC.

Basically, I am lost.

What I am looking to do is to buy the HP tablet (I think this one uses WebOS), load GSAK on it, and download PQ's from GC.com using WiFi hotspots, etc. while we're out in the field. I plan to leave the tablet in the cachemobile and use my handheld GPSr to find the caches.

I'd appreciate any input on this (will it work? am I really that out of touch technologically? etc.)

The WebOS developer community had a non-sanctioned geocaching application that was very slick. Sadly the application was rarely updated and WebOS products will be soon found in the Atari/TI99 section of the dump.

The tablet is a really nice device if you are happy with the installed applications and want to use it as a web browser. Expecting anything else would be making a huge mistake. It will not run GSAK and basically has no future. Don't be lulled into the clearout price - it will not meet your needs.