TOPO 24k or City Navigator

Julz81

I did search and can't really find a good answer..

Tomorrow I'm ordering a Garmin Oregon 450 (without t since I read so much that those maps are not worth it with the free ones). But I do want the routable maps option so my question is which is a better option? I will be using it mostly for geocaching but want to be able to have it for when we go on trips. I can't figure out which to buy.

The other question is for this when I use it to navigate in my car does it only beep or is there a way to make it actually "talk"?

Also I live in Northeastern PA any suggestions on the free maps what would be good for hiking trails Such as when we go to cookforest in pa??

Thanks so much for all the help, I've been researching this for a while and only know what i have been able to find out online.. Hope I don't sound dumb in my questions!!

Thanks so much for the help, want to order it all tomorrow morning!!

It beeps, it does not talk,

I agree the t maps are not worth it, I bought the T model to get the DEM Data.

I would get City Navigator.

My Trails have entensive coverage in PA. If something is missing, you can GPS the trail and I will add it to the map. My Trails is transparent and displays on top of other maps. For a topo map, get the state map by maps4gps

Just know the 24k will not be the entire US, unless you get all versions of the software, and this will cost you several times as much, several hundred dollars. Where CN is a one time purchase for under $100

I would love to have the 24k, but just one section(Like South Central about 4 states worth) is over a hundred bucks.

I did search and can't really find a good answer..

Tomorrow I'm ordering a Garmin Oregon 450 (without t since I read so much that those maps are not worth it with the free ones). But I do want the routable maps option so my question is which is a better option? I will be using it mostly for geocaching but want to be able to have it for when we go on trips. I can't figure out which to buy.

The other question is for this when I use it to navigate in my car does it only beep or is there a way to make it actually "talk"?

Also I live in Northeastern PA any suggestions on the free maps what would be good for hiking trails Such as when we go to cookforest in pa??

Thanks so much for all the help, I've been researching this for a while and only know what i have been able to find out online.. Hope I don't sound dumb in my questions!!

Thanks so much for the help, want to order it all tomorrow morning!!

Try http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl before you pay for any maps.

Try http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl before you pay for any maps.

Probably as good trail data as any, but it will also probably be disappointing. I put a few Pinnacle trails on from my own track logs, but there wasn't much else shown around there.

I don't doubt it's not perfect but it's free and if there's stuff missing or inaccurate you can add it yourself.

Personally I grew rather weary of bought maps that are out of date the moment you install them and have errors/omissions you can't rectify. If I've got a free map that isn't quite right I can live with it, if I can update it myself I can live with it. If I've paid full price for a map and then end up having to second-guess the best way to work around the latest issue I've discovered it does wear a little thin.

I'd also hope the 24k topo maps are more up to date than the 100k version. I've all but given up on the 100k topo maps, having driven along expressways that had been there for 15 years that I know of but weren't on the map, roads marked sufficiently far away from where they actually run that I couldn't be sure whether I was in the right place, and roads marked on my map that showed no sign of ever having existed on the ground.

You cannot update My Trails yourself. But you can send me corrections or additions and it gets in the next version of My Trails. That way everyone benefits from the updates.

My Trails certainly has better coverage than OSM.

I guess that would depend on the area. Where I live I there are hardly any trails that aren't on OSM, not least because they get uploaded by someone sooner or later.

Looks like MyTrails is worth a look, if it can be used in conjunction with OSM maps on a Montana it could be a useful way of getting more data next time we're in the US.