Install maps on 24MB GPS? Use smart phone with no data contact?

C.T.A.K.

Hi,

I am wondering how much map data I could fit on an inexpensive GPS that has 24MB of internal storage. (One city block, one town, one state?) I've searched, and simply can't find an answer. I also tried to generate my own maps from some of the free sites to test it myself, but was not successful. It doesn't help that I don't own a GPS yet. I've borrowed a unit, but I'm leaving it entirely untouched so I don't mess it up for the owner!

If someone could generate a topo map for Victoria BC and surrounding area, could you let me know how large the file is?

My other burning question is this: Could I use a smart phone without a data provider? I would use wireless to get data to the phone, and then use the maps "off line" while hiking around. Would this work? I understand that I would have to find/buy/subscribe to a geocaching application for the device.

Thanks,

Colin

Edited by C.T.A.K.

It depends on the map. Some are much more storage intensive than others. Bottom line figure not a whole lot. Here is 23.1 megs of map coverage using Garmin's 24k Topo. It covers about 1/3 of a small US state like Connecticut. You might be lucky to double that if you have maps that don't chew a lot of storage, but that's about it.

135b82fe-94cd-45ca-ba56-297c58623e51.jpg?rnd=0.07662213

First of all, welcome to the Victoria caching scene!

What brand and model of GPS is it? If it's a Garmin, there's an easy way to get maps based on Openstreetmaps. The problem is that even these maps (they don't have any contour lines or anything fancy) will probably be too large for 24MB. You might just barely be able to fit from Victoria to North Saanich, but there may not be any room left for caches! You might have to look for a GPS with more memory.

Thank you for your responses. It gives me a much better idea of what to expect.

I've been borrowing a Garmin Venture HC for a few weeks. I've been looking at lower priced units like the eTrex Legend H and eTrex 10. The ones with more storage or ability to add a SD card really jump in price. I can see how they are very usefull for serious hikers and cachers, I am not sure I'll need it. Thus my questions about storage in these inexpensive models - basically wondering if I could squeak by with them. Based on Brians 24k map example, 24MB would cover (very approximately) 50km x 60km, which would cover my home town and surrounding area, but not much more. I can definitely see how juggling maps depending on where I was traveling (not that I travel a lot) would be a pain.

Is there an easy way to "cut out" a map section to load onto your GPS? Which tool do you use? I've done a bunch of reading but I don't think it is sinking in! Sorry, normally I'm better at this kind of thing.

Thank you for the answers and welcome. I'll check out the Openstreetmaps and gpsfiledepot.com too.

Colin

I've been borrowing a Garmin Venture HC for a few weeks. I've been looking at lower priced units like the eTrex Legend H and eTrex 10. The ones with more storage or ability to add a SD card really jump in price. I can see how they are very usefull for serious hikers and cachers, I am not sure I'll need it. Thus my questions about storage in these inexpensive models - basically wondering if I could squeak by with them. Based on Brians 24k map example, 24MB would cover (very approximately) 50km x 60km, which would cover my home town and surrounding area, but not much more. I can definitely see how juggling maps depending on where I was traveling (not that I travel a lot) would be a pain.

Is there an easy way to "cut out" a map section to load onto your GPS? Which tool do you use? I've done a bunch of reading but I don't think it is sinking in! Sorry, normally I'm better at this kind of thing.

Thank you for the answers and welcome. I'll check out the Openstreetmaps and gpsfiledepot.com too.

Colin

One way is you use Garmins free BaseCamp and select segments you want using that program. You could download it now and then go to GPSFileDepot and get the free maps and see just how much you could load.

Edited by IBcrashen

Colin

I use a Venture HC for geocaching. As others have pointed out just how much map you can shove into your GPS depends on what is on the map.

One of the the good things about Garmin GPS is there are a lot of open-source (free) maps available. NZ is blessed with a particularly vibrant community (NZ Open GPS). They update their street map product weekly and also provide topo maps.

I've found I can fit all of the North Island NZ street maps into the Venture or all of the South island but not both. Topo maps are a different story and just adding a couple of tiles of the Wellington district fill the Venture.

When you download a map from somwhere like the GPS File Depot it will probably be a .img file. If this is too big to fit in your GPS you can open it in GPSMapEdit, select the area you want and saave it as a new .img file. You can then load it into Mapsource using MapSetToolKit. Both these programmes are free to download.

My other burning question is this: Could I use a smart phone without a data provider? I would use wireless to get data to the phone, and then use the maps "off line" while hiking around. Would this work? I understand that I would have to find/buy/subscribe to a geocaching application for the device.

Thanks,

Colin

To answer your second question, yes, what you said is possible. I use the official Geocaching iPhone app, so I can only speak for it. But I'm guessing the Geocaching app is just about the same for Android phones. Using the app & a WiFi connection, you can save caches to your favorites list to be accessed offline later. Keep in mind, due to Google's policies, and recent changes to Bing's as well, neither of those providers allows their maps to be saved for offline use on the Geocache app. The only map capable of being saved for offline use on the newer versions of the app is OpenStreetMaps. Once caches are saved to your favorites, you can access their cache pages, descriptions, hints, a short list of the most recent logs, just about everything you'd see on the website. You can also compose a log from within the app, but without a data plan, you can't actually submit it to Geocaching.com out in the field. But you can create it and save it until you're on WiFi again, then submit it. Just FYI, the free version of the Geocaching app only displays the 3 closest caches to your current location, but there have been reports of some of them not showing up at times. Hope this answers your question.

Well, I've made some progress. I've installed BaseCamp, found a nice Topo map of Vancouver Island and the northwest, but haven't figured out how to put just a portion of the map on the GPS. Looks like there will be room though.

I took my kids out to search for a few caches, but came up empty. We learnt that:

- we should have brought a flashlight and a garbage bag.

- it would be nice if the GPS included the notes to read.

So, we learnt a few things, and discovered a GPS feature that I think we really "need" to have! (The extended notes and comments.) :)

I'm slow, but I'll get there. Thank you for all your answers!

Colin

Edited by C.T.A.K.