cannot download to Magellan Explorist GC

calligal

I'm having the darndest time with my magellan on my laptop. It was working fine at home, but now I'm in Florida using my laptop trying to download files. I downloaded the Magellan program and installed it but it doesn't show up anywhere on my computer but pops up when I click on the download to gps icon. ( I have a premium membership)

I also downloaded the Dorme program but if I try that, it tells me it can't locate the device, but the device says it's connected to the PC and there's an icon at the bottom right..

any suggestions.. thanks

I don't think it's the device it's not recognizing, neither I.E. nor Firefox can find either of the plug ins.

ETA: I give up

I switched to Internet Explore and got a bit further,

Magellan says additional plugins are required.... install missing plugins, I click on that but it says there are non available. I've re-installed the Magellan plugin a couple of times.

The Delorme plug in is there but doesn't recognize the device

Edited by calligal

The DeLorme programme won't help with the Magellan. Have you downloaded the Magellan Communicator?

For my GC, I had to select it as my primary device in my profile as well. I also had to log out of GC.com....and maybe even out of my browser too.

Be sure that your cord (for want of a better technical term) is firmly in to the GPS and computer. Mine wasn't into the GPS properly this morning, just needed to in another hair's breadth for the computer to "find" the device.

Let us know how you get on - good luck!

How do I manually move the files to the GPS with the use of any intermediary software, and which software? I did think about drag and drop but don't know how I would go about it.

I've checked all connections and re-booted and reinstalled (again).. the GPS says connected to PC

How do I manually move the files to the GPS with the use of any intermediary software, and which software? I did think about drag and drop but don't know how I would go about it.

I've checked all connections and re-booted and reinstalled (again).. the GPS says connected to PC

I made a typo. I meant to say without instead of with.

Just download a PQ or the individual GPX files for caches to your laptop. Then connect your GPS to your laptop and copy the files from where you downloaded them on to your laptop to the geocache directory on your GPS.

Here's the method I use with my GC:

1. Ensure that your PC and GC are powered on.

2. Ensure that your PQ(s) are downloaded, and unzipped into a folder you can find. (I use a folder on my desktop.)

3. Plug the USB cable to the computer and GC. When the option window comes up, select "Connect to PC".

4. A window should pop up in Windows, that gives you options. Choose "Open Folder to View Files".

5. Navigate to the /Geocaches folder on the GC. Copy the PQ .gpx file here.

6. Navigate to the Waypoints folder on the GC. Copy the wpts.gpx file here.

7. Disconnect the cable, and the GC should restart. You should see all of your caches on the list.

8. Also of note, the GC will hold 10,000 caches. I, however, delete all of the gpx files in mine, and do a clean load every time. Easier for me to keep track of that way.

I have never even seen VantagePoint, so I have no clue how it works.

Hope this helps!

I have some downloaded into a folder on my PC, I connect the GPS which now says connected to your PC, and I hear the dinging sound from the computer, but the "Open Folder to View Files" doesn't show up.

I was able to find the GPS unit by going to my computer and selecting it from there, where I was able to drag 'n drop the files. I had two of each, a .gpx file and a .loc file for each location.

Actually, the importing video and pictures automatic file download pops up every time which I have to cancel, as it wants to download every picture etc. from the unit as if it were a camera.

Thank you very much, I guess I have do that for all of them from now on..

I have some downloaded into a folder on my PC, I connect the GPS which now says connected to your PC, and I hear the dinging sound from the computer, but the "Open Folder to View Files" doesn't show up.

I was able to find the GPS unit by going to my computer and selecting it from there, where I was able to drag 'n drop the files. I had two of each, a .gpx file and a .loc file for each location.

Actually, the importing video and pictures automatic file download pops up every time which I have to cancel, as it wants to download every picture etc. from the unit as if it were a camera.

Thank you very much, I guess I have do that for all of them from now on..

You only need the .gpx files. The .loc files are similar to but contains much less info than .gpx files. With .gpx you have all the info that the .loc files plus more.

Once you are comfortable with downloading the .gpx files to your PC then transferring them to your GPS you can try downloading directly to your GPS. First connect your GPS to your PC then when you download the .gpx file select your GPS and the Geocaches directory as the location to download the file to.

I also very highly suggest you create Pocket Queries aka PQ. A PQ is a .gpx that contains all the geocaches in a set of search parameters. You can download hundreds of cache as one .gpx file. If you download the PQ as a .zip file simply click on the .zip to open it just like you would do when you navigate to a new directory. Inside you will find two .gpx files. Just copy and paste them to the Geocaches directory on the GPS.

Also make sure you are marking the caches as Found or Not Found on your GPS as you find or not find them. Your GPS will automatically create a file called newlogs.txt and keep track of the caches you visit for you. Then when you get home you can upload your field notes where you will get a list of all the caches you visited with status and the option to log the cache and write a cache log note. To get to the page where you can upload your field notes go to your profile page and on the right hand side look for and click on "Access Your Field Notes" then click on "Upload my Field Notes" and follow the directions for uploading the newlogs.txt file from the Geocaches directory on your GPS.

Many thanks, I will try the pocket queries although I haven't got that yet..

I was comfortable at home downloading to my Magellan using Windows Vista, It did automatically download, it's my laptop and Windows 7 that is giving me a problem, still can't get it to automatically download, so will continue with manual drag 'n drop.. didn't know I didn't need the .loc files, thanks heaps. When I get a bit more time and the weather is bad, I will try uninstallig then re-installing the programs.

This topic should mention the Vantage Point Software from Magellan. It works well.

It will connect to Geocaching site and show you the list of your PQs. Check the ones you want and they will download, and then you sync them to your GC. It will load images for those caches with images. After you get back from caching, and you connect your GC, Vantage Point will list the caches you found so that you can log them.