Who approves new hides?

budbon

The easiest way is to merely look to see who Published any nearby caches. Looking at one of your two Published Listings, I see the following Reviewer Published one of yours:

High Country Admin

If it concerns a Listing outside your local area, scroll down to the first (usually) log entry that says "Published". Chances are, that would be the correct Reviewer.

When all else fails, you can contact Groundspeak directly at contact@geocaching.com and they can direct your inquiry to the correct Reviewer

Best of luck!

How do you find and contact the person in charge of hide approval?

mtn-man and his trusty sidekick puppymonster.

On a more serious note... HighCountryAdmin published your Colorado geocache (as Touchstone stated) and Prime Reviewer published your Texas geocache.

Since your question lack context, I could also assume you meant to ask who is in charge of them... in which case you should direct an e-mail to contact@geocaching.com if there is an issue you woul like to direct at TPTB. If you have an issue with a cache not being published and you think it should be appeals@geocaching.com (although I see none of your in the queue).

I hope that helps.

Sorry about getting back so late. My post did lack content - my bad. I eas looking to see how to find who approves a casch hide. You answered that succesfully. My reason (content). There seems to be a misunderstanding concerning hiding geocaches in our local National Forest (San Juan National Forest). Although I have found 3 listed caches in the forest my understanding is no more will be approved as there are restrictions against such activities in the San Juan National Forest. Last summer as a result of many phone calls I was finally directed to the Forest Patrol (police) Officer. Ha said "Geocaching id prohibited. and I will remove any found ." When I asked for the particular law, edict or rule concerning the matter, he said he would get back to me. He never did.

In the fall, I happened to attend a disclosure meeting concerning another forest matter. At that time, I had ocassion to bring up the geocaching matter with the Distric Ranger. He said he was unaware of any geocaching restrictions and had not directed any himself. A few days ago (Feb. 15 or so) I once again phoned, and was put in contact with, the senior Forest Patrol officer, whom it seems is new to the area, having transferred from the National Parks. In my discussion with him he indicated there are no such restrictions to his knowledge. Taking my phone number, he said he would look into the matter and call me if such restrictions existed. I have not heard from him.

This is a long post to explain why I wanted to contact whoever is in charge of approving geocach hides in our area and discover if he has information contrary to the above. The San Juan Forest comprises countless miles of hiking trails, ATV trails, Motorcycle trails, 4 wheel trails as well as any number of activities for boats, fishing, etc. It seems a shame not to include the favorite activity of many of us.

Sorry about getting back so late. My post did lack content - my bad. I eas looking to see how to find who approves a casch hide. You answered that succesfully. My reason (content). There seems to be a misunderstanding concerning hiding geocaches in our local National Forest (San Juan National Forest). Although I have found 3 listed caches in the forest my understanding is no more will be approved as there are restrictions against such activities in the San Juan National Forest. Last summer as a result of many phone calls I was finally directed to the Forest Patrol (police) Officer. Ha said "Geocaching id prohibited. and I will remove any found ." When I asked for the particular law, edict or rule concerning the matter, he said he would get back to me. He never did.

In the fall, I happened to attend a disclosure meeting concerning another forest matter. At that time, I had ocassion to bring up the geocaching matter with the Distric Ranger. He said he was unaware of any geocaching restrictions and had not directed any himself. A few days ago (Feb. 15 or so) I once again phoned, and was put in contact with, the senior Forest Patrol officer, whom it seems is new to the area, having transferred from the National Parks. In my discussion with him he indicated there are no such restrictions to his knowledge. Taking my phone number, he said he would look into the matter and call me if such restrictions existed. I have not heard from him.

This is a long post to explain why I wanted to contact whoever is in charge of approving geocach hides in our area and discover if he has information contrary to the above. The San Juan Forest comprises countless miles of hiking trails, ATV trails, Motorcycle trails, 4 wheel trails as well as any number of activities for boats, fishing, etc. It seems a shame not to include the favorite activity of many of us.

Hi budbon. I received your email and will be happy to work with you and the land managers to clarify the geocaching policy in SJNF.

Thanks, HCA

Perhaps a minor point, but one with some major implications:

The reviewer does not APPROVE of your cache, they simply check compliance with the current Groundspeak guidelines and then PUBLISH it.

The reviewer may in no way, shape, or form actually APPROVE of your cache in the least.*

*I have not actually looked at any of your caches, so I have no idea if they could be 'approvable' or not.

Perhaps a minor point, but one with some major implications:

The reviewer does not APPROVE of your cache, they simply check compliance with the current Groundspeak guidelines and then PUBLISH it.

There are actually no major implications. People who go around reminding everyone "The term is 'PUBLISH', not 'approve'" everytime the word is mentioned on the forums need to go out caching more.

Edited by Ambient_Skater