RIP Steve Love; Aka Sven.

Stoka

Please don't judge him without knowing the facts because who knows what goes through someone's mind at a time of extreme stress, I am sure all rational thoughts go out of the window.

First, let me say that I do not want to judge Steve.

As selfishness is regarded, I think however that committing suicide is always a selfish action (I should mention that I have been several times in my life in the situation to consider suicide seriously in order to end life and sorrows for me). Those who really suffer are in almost all cases the relatives, friends and beloveds of the person who put an end to his life (which is the easiest way out of troubles).

If you would like to know more about Steve I have created a memorial website www.svengalie.co.uk

I'd like to tell you that I admire how you try dealing with this tragic loss of your son and I wish you the strength you need to stay positive and be there for those who need you.

Cezanne

Hi Everyone,

I am Steve's Mum. I came back to this thread simply to let you all know that Steve also passed on the Geocaching bug to us and I have recently set off a memorial Travel Bug which I hope one day will visit all the memorial caches that have been set up in his memory.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3561820

However, while I am here I would also just like to correct some misinformation if I may, especially that in Geo Jedimeister's post.

I also enjoyed Sven's videos but I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his wife and daughter who not only lost a husband and father but also their home. What selfish thing to do.

He was going through a very, very difficult divorce. He had three houses, his wife, son and daughter lived in one of them the other two were being sold for the divorce. The one he died in, as Mr. Yuck says, was empty, there was no furniture, no possessions, nothing. He was there alone with his thoughts and no one will ever know what those were but we do know that the thought of losing his homes and his children had made him extremely sad.

Please don't judge him without knowing the facts because who knows what goes through someone's mind at a time of extreme stress, I am sure all rational thoughts go out of the window.

If you would like to know more about Steve I have created a memorial website www.svengalie.co.uk

Ii did not know Steven outside of his videos he posted, but I can tell you I judge someone by their friends and obviously from the amount of friends he had, Steven was a great man, and his videos are very entertaining and brings me a lot of joy. I am truly sorry for your loss. Heaven just got a bit richer.

Well this is obviously a very touchy subject. Many who have never experienced clinical depression could never imagine suicidal thoughts, and consider suicide to be a selfish act. I've never experienced it myself, but have read that many times over the years. We had a high profile suicide of a very famous retired NFL player in the U.S. about a month ago, and many called him selfish. I would never roll with that assessment, only feeling sympathy for himself and his family.

I have only just heard about this terrible news today. My thoughts go out to his family.

I first came across Sven through his biking videos on YouTube which I am sure is how a lot of people came to know him. I can't say I know him because I never met him but he always responded to questions about his videos.

RIP Steve

I only came to know Steve through his caching videos, and I must say his love of caching will live forever on his youtube clips. I thought he was a great individual, which came through in these clips.

Who are we to judge why he came to his sad death? There has been times in my life when I contemplated a similar fate, and it was over a break up as well. RIP Steve, aka sven.

Sven / Steve was my brother. He and Cup got me into geocaching. His death is still horribly raw for the family but I came to check news had reached the Geocaching community, it was such a big part of his life.

Many thanks for all the kind comments. When the time is right for me I will take over his caches and get them re-enabled.

I've struggled to contact so many of his friends who were spread throughout the country / world. If any of his friends want the funeral details they can contact me on here via PM, as you can imagine I have lots to do but will try and respond to any messages I receive, I know Steve made a lot of friends (and a few enemies) in the GC community.

ChrisLuv

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( My deepest sympathies to your family.

Apologies for the very delayed addition to this thread. I like many here came to find geocaching via Steve's YouTube videos, and felt it important to say a few words. It was only yesterday I thought I would dig deeper to try and find out why there hadn't been any videos in quite a while. When I learnt what had happened I was devastated. As many have said, I never had the pleasure of meeting Steve, but having watched so many of his videos he felt like a friend.

If there are family and close friends still reading this thread, you probably don't need me to tell you that Steve touched the lives of so many in a hugely positive way, many of which like myself he probably didn't even realise.

Thank you Steve for giving me so much through your own passion.

Apologies for the very delayed addition to this thread. I like many here came to find geocaching via Steve's YouTube videos, and felt it important to say a few words. It was only yesterday I thought I would dig deeper to try and find out why there hadn't been any videos in quite a while. When I learnt what had happened I was devastated. As many have said, I never had the pleasure of meeting Steve, but having watched so many of his videos he felt like a friend.

If there are family and close friends still reading this thread, you probably don't need me to tell you that Steve touched the lives of so many in a hugely positive way, many of which like myself he probably didn't even realise.

Thank you Steve for giving me so much through your own passion.

Thank you for your kind words, yes we do still read this thread and it means a lot to us that people still remember him, enjoy his caches and appreciate his contribution to geocaching.

We continue to keep his caches going thanks to the help of good friends (Spire67 and Maxhench)they are all now under the caching name of 'Celebrating Sven' - we felt they were far to clever and fun to be lost forever, each week there are dozens of finds and they give lots of people pleasure.

There are lots of memorial caches all over the world too, testament to the difference he made to geocaching and how he touched the lives of others.

Again, thanks for your kind words, we really appreciate them.

Pauline (Steve's Mum)

Very sorry to hear about Sven.

I have been watching many videos by him for almost a year now. It wasn't until today, I noticed on many of them, they were more than 4 years old. And then I had read in the comments section of one of the videos on Youtube, the tragedy that had happened. No doubt that I've stepped up my game in placing geocaches here in the US, from a man I've never met across the pond.

Very sorry for your loss, Svensmum.