RIP Steve Love; Aka Sven.

Stoka

I don't get it.

When it's: "He's posting videos" the threads are full of rage.

When it's: "He's dead" the treads are full of respect.

My point is certainly not to carry the rage into this thread. Maybe we could tone down the rage on others?

I've seen Sven's work and was impressed. I think he did all of us a service by casting what we do in the most positive of lights.There are folks RIGHT NOW getting the same treatment on these forums as what Sven got. Please think before you throw stones at our fellow cachers.

RIP and thinking of another in need...TAR.

edited to add the quotes.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

I don't get it.

My point is certainly not to carry the rage into this thread. Maybe we could tone down the rage on others?

I've seen Sven's work and was impressed. I think he did all of us a service by casting what we do in the most positive of lights.There are folks RIGHT NOW getting the same treatment on these forums as what Sven got. Please think before you throw stones at our fellow cachers.

RIP and thinking of another in need...TAR.

edited to add the quotes.

Glad you brought that up. What do you mean by "treatment"? Disagreeing with someone is "treatment"? I disagreed with Sven on many things. I even had personal exchanges with him, where we only quoted each other. We're both Geocachers, and that was our bond. I was the first poster after the OP. I believe I was almost certainly the first one to go to Twitter and announce his tragic death to the Geocaching Twittersphere. The first two words of my Tweet were "horrible news". I have absolutely no regrets about my online disagreements with Sven. No rage here, then or now, nothing but sadness.

Sad to see someone go

It's inevitable you know

We meet and we greet

And we cache most discreet

But Reaper is an LTF Hound

Though I never met, nor recall discussing anything with Sven, I have taken the courtesy of watching at least one of his videos and following a thread he started. He seemed a genuine sort, greatly motivated to strive for a more interesting caching experience and to seek one for himself. Some new-ish mistakes, sure, I've seen worse and wouldn't deign to critique him now. But its easy to see he was avid about the game and for that small percentage of him we could see, that I could see, he was a good person.

Requiescat in Pace.

That's very simple. I respect human beings and it is always sad if someone passes away so early.

I take the liberty, however, to criticize peoplew hen they are doing things that I regard as wrong and

when they do not pay respect to other people or their work.

The first videos of Sven have been dated with the same date as his found it logs and I was able

to identify most of the filmed caches from that period. It is for me an absolute no go with respect

to geocaching ethics to provide such spoilers.

I've seen Sven's work and was impressed. I think he did all of us a service by casting what we do in the most positive of lights.

He might have done a service to you and others, but please do not talk about me. I neither was happy with his way of spoilering nor with his approach

to make geocaching even more known. I am also against the hype with respect to creative hideouts.

I'd suggest to keep this topic however out of this thread. My point is just that one can show respect for other people while still not sharing their opinions at all.

Cezanne

That's very simple. I respect human beings and it is always sad if someone passes away so early.

I take the liberty, however, to criticize peoplew hen they are doing things that I regard as wrong and

when they do not pay respect to other people or their work.

The first videos of Sven have been dated with the same date as his found it logs and I was able

to identify most of the filmed caches from that period. It is for me an absolute no go with respect

to geocaching ethics to provide such spoilers.

I've seen Sven's work and was impressed. I think he did all of us a service by casting what we do in the most positive of lights.

He might have done a service to you and others, but please do not talk about me. I neither was happy with his way of spoilering nor with his approach

to make geocaching even more known. I am also against the hype with respect to creative hideouts.

I'd suggest to keep this topic however out of this thread. My point is just that one can show respect for other people while still not sharing their opinions at all.

Cezanne

I do not believe you have gone there. You are angry that in your opinion he spoilt a few pieces of hidden tupperware!! He was a family man that for whatever reason has died. Your forum comments are disrespectful, if you can't say anything respectful in acknowledgement of Sven, stay away. If you wish to dredge up the topic of 'Spoilers' then start it on another thread.

You are angry that in your opinion he spoilt a few pieces of hidden tupperware!! He was a family man that for whatever reason has died. Your forum comments are disrespectful, if you can't say anything respectful in acknowledgement of Sven, stay away.

I hesitated whether I should answer at all, but finally decided to correct your misinterpretation of what I wrote. My key point was that one can respect a person and still not share his opinion. When someone dies, this is always a sad event. I lost some relatives quite early. So I definitely know how such a loss feels like. Moreover, my value system puts every form of life and respect for the creatures in this world much higher than any sort of disconsent between people and much higher than an activity like geocaching.

Note there is a difference between disagreeing and being angry. I would have been angry for a few days if one of my caches had been spoilt by Sven which was not the case. So what's left was simply my disagreement with a poster in this thread who spoke for all geocachers. What he wrote was not an issue of respect or disrespect. I am sure that Sven's intentions when putting efforts in making geocaching even more popular have took place in good faith. This does not mean, however, that I or someone else need to agree that such an initiave only has good sides.

I will keep away from this thread from now on. I do not want this thread to become a debate as this would be completely inappropriate to the topic of this thread. I sincerely hope that the pain that Sven's relatives will feel will decrease over the time - it will never diappear anyway.

Cezanne

You are angry that in your opinion he spoilt a few pieces of hidden tupperware!! He was a family man that for whatever reason has died. Your forum comments are disrespectful, if you can't say anything respectful in acknowledgement of Sven, stay away.

I hesitated whether I should answer at all, but finally decided to correct your misinterpretation of what I wrote. My key point was that one can respect a person and still not share his opinion. When someone dies, this is always a sad event. I lost some relatives quite early. So I definitely know how such a loss feels like. Moreover, my value system puts every form of life and respect for the creatures in this world much higher than any sort of disconsent between people and much higher than an activity like geocaching.

Note there is a difference between disagreeing and being angry. I would have been angry for a few days if one of my caches had been spoilt by Sven which was not the case. So what's left was simply my disagreement with a poster in this thread who spoke for all geocachers. What he wrote was not an issue of respect or disrespect. I am sure that Sven's intentions when putting efforts in making geocaching even more popular have took place in good faith. This does not mean, however, that I or someone else need to agree that such an initiave only has good sides.

I will keep away from this thread from now on. I do not want this thread to become a debate as this would be completely inappropriate to the topic of this thread. I sincerely hope that the pain that Sven's relatives will feel will decrease over the time - it will never diappear anyway.

Cezanne

Thank you. Lets remember the positives and move on.

I always enjoyed watching his vlogs on YouTube! Both of his channels, the geocaching one and his motorcycle one! He has some pretty wicked wipe outs on his bike!

RIP Steve, I will miss your videos!

My wishes and prayers go out to his wife and children that he left behind.

What was Steve's geocaching name please? I really loved his geocachespoiler videos, especially the ones that were his, and some friends and I would like to make a tribute cache for him. Thank you.

It's right there in the title of the thread "Sven." with a period after the n. I assume plain old Sven was taken years ago. :)

It's right there in the title of the thread "Sven." with a period after the n. I assume plain old Sven was taken years ago. :)

Hmmm, I think I answered my own question because when I looked up "sven." just now I only found 9 records but when I looked under his brother's profile earlier I found 22 hidden by "sven∪" or "svengalie" so I guess he had multiple caching personas ;)

What I consider to be the world's best Geocaching blog (might as well give them a plug) It's Not about the numbers, has an excellent blog post today with all sorts of information on Sven's memorial service, various tribute caches being placed in his honor, and most importantly, a trust fund being set up for his children. Blog post here

What I consider to be the world's best Geocaching blog (might as well give them a plug) It's Not about the numbers, has an excellent blog post today with all sorts of information on Sven's memorial service, various tribute caches being placed in his honor, and most importantly, a trust fund being set up for his children. Blog post here

I hope is it just my browser but the background is way too busy for me to read the thin font of the text on that page without getting a headache.

I hope is it just my browser but the background is way too busy for me to read the thin font of the text on that page without getting a headache.

Oh gosh. I don't even remember if that's always the background. Hopefully just your browser, the blog text should not be transparent. I stress again, a great article.

Oh gosh. I don't even remember if that's always the background. Hopefully just your browser, the blog text should not be transparent. I stress again, a great article.

Things are fixed now. But something was amiss earlier. Now that I'm seeing the page the way it was intended to be seen it is readable. Before I wasn't seeing the white background and some of the formatting was off. I was seeing all of the text directly on the map background. It's a nice article now that I can read it.

I've been watching some of his videos and you can see his kids in the one did about the Nuclear Bunker.

I was checking some Vids on youtube when I saw that I got suggestions about Tribute Videos for Sven.

This was around 30minutes ago. No I feel realy sad ...

Sven seemed to be a very nice person and I was hungry for every new video on his channel.

Its stange how it can feel to here about the death of people you do not know in person.

My condolences and best wishes are with his family and friends, I can't imagine how it feels to lose a dear friend/family member still so young...

Bumped this thread today to say the email address set up for taking donations for a trust fund for Sven's childrent never set up their paypal account, and the funds were returned about a month later.

HOWEVER, one of Sven's family members, whether they saw my bump or not, posted a link to a Memorial Website Sven's Mother made. On this page on the website I've discovered the not about the numbers blog had and extra "s" in the email address they gave. There is also another paypal link set up by Sven's family on that page.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Bumped this thread today to say the email address set up for taking donations for a trust fund for Sven's childrent never set up their paypal account, and the funds were returned about a month later.

Paypal should never be used for something like this in the first place. Paypal can and will shut the account down & hold onto the money if they feel like it.

Paypal should never be used for something like this in the first place. Paypal can and will shut the account down & hold onto the money if they feel like it.

Oh, it was all good here. It was the email address of the funeral home that held his memorial service. The It's Not about the numbers blog just inadvertantly put an "s" on the end of it, if anyone tried to donate after they read that blog. The correct email addy for the funeral home, and an additional one that belongs to Sven's Parent's are on the memorial website they created.

But I may be totally misunderstanding you, and your issue is with PayPal themselves?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Hmmm. I've been using PayPal ever since it first started and have never had an issue with it. Why would they hold the money?

Well lets hope they don't shut this one down, the money has gone straight to the funeral home who are keeping it until a trust fund is set up, as far as I'm aware no money is being held by Paypal. The funeral home recommended this approach and so we've been led by their advice.

To all those who contributed many thanks. Also many thanks to all those people who have been in touch to offer condolences, I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply to each one. As people can appreciate its been a busy and emotional time.

Chris (Sven/Steve's brother)

But I may be totally misunderstanding you, and your issue is with PayPal themselves?

That's the issue. See what SwineFlew said - PayPal has locked down accounts set up for this sort of purpose on numerous occasions.

If that is the case why do they provide donate buttons and positively encourage you to use them to raise funds? All the donate buttons are available in the paypal account.

That's the issue. See what SwineFlew said - PayPal has locked down accounts set up for this sort of purpose on numerous occasions.

If that is the case why do they provide donate buttons and positively encourage you to use them to raise funds? All the donate buttons are available in the paypal account.

Because they won't take notice unless you raise a lot of money quickly and are classified as a charity account. Collect a couple thousand dollars in a matter of days, and they'll lock you down and start demanding all kinds of documentation.

And don't forget that PayPal is taking a percentage of every donation for themselves.

Paypal also has recently started dictating what people may sell when using their payment services. Imagine if your bank stopped letting you purchase specific items using a credit card at stores because they didn't like those items.

Set up a proper fund through your bank and direct all donations there, without Paypal as a middleman. It's a disgusting operation masquerading as a bank but free of oversight due to some loopholes which should only be used as a last resort, with protections between your accounts and them.

<Set up a proper fund through your bank and direct all donations there>

That sounds good in theory, but are you sure that would work for accepting international donations? My parents live in Australia, and when they send me birthday money to my bank in the USA there's a hefty fee at both ends for the transfer. We've started using PayPal to transfer the funds now, for this very reason.

Wow.... shocked.

I only just heard of Svens passing. Very sad indeed. He was, like many others, a great inspiration, and showed off some simple yet creative caching hides, some of which I have employed myself, and now have a bit of a rep as a creative local cache hider. I sent Sven a video just over 2 months ago for him to post up,got no reply, and wondered only today what happened to him, after seeing the activity of another YouTube cacher hitting likes on Svens channel. A little investigation and now like many, I have the shock of knowing Sven has passed away. I know he had issues with some people. I was not one and I think he was fair in what he did with his videos. I was also a subscriber to his motorbike vlogging videos.

I will be one who will miss his geocaching videos. I watched everyone of them when they were uploaded.

He will be missed by those of us who could see his purpose in the world of Geocaching.

RIP buddy.

I heard the tragic news today that fellow Geocacher known as Sven sadly passed on the 4th.

His videos on YouTube (Geocache Spoilers) were what really inspired me to try my hand at more creative caches and I for one will greatly miss his work.

RIP Buddy.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9514932.Video__Father_dies_in_house_fire/

I did not know the man or see any of his Videos tried to look up his account but it appears to be gone "sven" RIP

I subscribed to Sven's youtube channel around October-ish and really loved his videos. I thought they were for the good of geocaching overall, bringing many to the hobby and giving many ideas for better hides.

I hadn't heard about his death until yesterday when I wondered why there were no new videos from him in my feed. Ironically I skipped the tribute cache to him in London a few weeks ago as I didn't have time to attempt a difficult one as the sun was setting, not realising it was this Sven. (will ask the cache owner to add more info in the description)

Sven you brought much energy and enthusiasm to the geocaching world. You will be missed by many and the efforts you put in will bring enjoyment and geocaching to the lives of many. I myself so far have brought around 10 people to geocaching (so far), if everyone who was attracted through Sven's videos does the same and they do the same etc, imagine how many lives Sven will have impacted.

RIP Sven.

Edited by Richlotte

I did not know the man or see any of his Videos tried to look up his account but it appears to be gone "sven" RIP

Check out geocachespoilers on Youtube, they are all really, really good. Such a tragic loss. Last time I checked his account on geocaching was still active too, but I think his GC name was sven. with a period at the end. (Or a "fullstop" if you're not American.) I think his brother was in the process of taking over his account with Groundspeak's help.

I also enjoyed Sven's videos but I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his wife and daughter who not only lost a husband and father but also their home. What selfish thing to do.

Well, that was a tough assessment. :blink: I saw this post maybe 12 hours ago, and I'm sure many have read it, but no one has replied. For the record, the house was vacant, and for sale, and he didn't "burn it down".

Hi Everyone,

I am Steve's Mum. I came back to this thread simply to let you all know that Steve also passed on the Geocaching bug to us and I have recently set off a memorial Travel Bug which I hope one day will visit all the memorial caches that have been set up in his memory.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3561820

However, while I am here I would also just like to correct some misinformation if I may, especially that in Geo Jedimeister's post.

I also enjoyed Sven's videos but I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his wife and daughter who not only lost a husband and father but also their home. What selfish thing to do.

He was going through a very, very difficult divorce. He had three houses, his wife, son and daughter lived in one of them the other two were being sold for the divorce. The one he died in, as Mr. Yuck says, was empty, there was no furniture, no possessions, nothing. He was there alone with his thoughts and no one will ever know what those were but we do know that the thought of losing his homes and his children had made him extremely sad.

Please don't judge him without knowing the facts because who knows what goes through someone's mind at a time of extreme stress, I am sure all rational thoughts go out of the window.

If you would like to know more about Steve I have created a memorial website www.svengalie.co.uk