Does a 'did not find' affect your decision about whether or not to go for a certain cache?

canine.matt

I consider the experience level of those that didn't find it, their logs, the difficulty of the cache...then probably go for it anyway. Hey I've got over 500 DNFs what's a few more?

I'm having trouble finding where the experience level of geocachers is listed.

As you become familiar with the caches and cachers in your area it becomes relatively obvious.

*Sigh* I've been off the forums so long that people aren't recognizing my snarkiness. I guess I'll just stick to geocaching.

I consider the experience level of those that didn't find it, their logs, the difficulty of the cache...then probably go for it anyway. Hey I've got over 500 DNFs what's a few more?

I'm having trouble finding where the experience level of geocachers is listed.

As you become familiar with the caches and cachers in your area it becomes relatively obvious.

*Sigh* I've been off the forums so long that people aren't recognizing my snarkiness. I guess I'll just stick to geocaching.

You've even been away so long that you failed to recognize mine... :)

I was talking to my brother about this yesterday. He said that when the most recent log entry is a 'did not find', he won't look for that particular cache. I, on the other hand, would only avoid a certain cache if the last 4-5 in a row were DNF. So, both of us being relatively new to this, I thought I would ask some of the more veteran cachers here.

How many recent DNF entries in the online log would there have to be before you skipped a nearby cache? And would the time since the most recent entry have any effect?

This is assuming the cache in question is something nearby but not exactly where you're at. Like if you're deciding whether to drive two blocks down the road to find one or something.

Depends on how you want to play the game.

Of course. If you are simply out finding caches, what difference does it make what you choose to exclude? If you are attempting a particular cache then you'll do your research and decide if you want to go for it.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce