Pocket Querie help

minew

Okay I finally built my first pocket querie. (not sure why I didn't do this before) When I click my querie to add it to my gps a window pops up asking me so run or save the file to my computer. I do this, then try to open the file on my computer and it doesn't work. I followed the help video step by step and I can't seem to get that simple transfer window to pop up at the very end. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Minew

Plug in your GPS to the USB port on the computer. When you do that you should find that My Computer adds one or two new drives to your computer. Each drive should have a Garmin/GPX directory in it. One of the drives will be the GPS and one of the drives will be the memory card in the GPS. Decide which one you want to load the pocket query into. The GPS will have a blue triangle icon. Then double click on your pocket query file that you have saved. It will have two files inside. One will be xxxx.gpx and the other will be xxxx-waypoints.gpx. The caches are in the one without -waypoints on it. Copy that file into the Garmin/GPX directory. If you want the additional waypoints (parking coordinates, trailheads etc) then copy both files into the Garmin/GPX directory.

That should load the caches into your GPS.

The GPX file needs a program to interpret the data and display it.

Not necessarily. With modern paperless GPS units, you can just copy the file onto the unit's storage. There's no need to open it on the PC or do anything else with it.

The OP is trying to open the file not copy it to the GPS.

a window pops up asking me so run or save the file to my computer. I do this, then try to open the file on my computer and it doesn't work

(Bolding mine)

Maybe I'm wrong but I read this that they are trying to open the gpx file like it's a word document. :unsure:

The GPX file needs a program to interpret the data and display it.

Not necessarily. With modern paperless GPS units, you can just copy the file onto the unit's storage. There's no need to open it on the PC or do anything else with it.

The OP is trying to open the file not copy it to the GPS.

a window pops up asking me so run or save the file to my computer. I do this, then try to open the file on my computer and it doesn't work

(Bolding mine)

Maybe I'm wrong but I read this that they are trying to open the gpx file like it's a word document. :unsure:

Yes. But you don't have to do that. You can just not open it and instead copy it to the GPS. At least if it's a proper paperless GPS (and the Oregon 450 is). Doing it this way is much easier and faster than first getting an application for the PC if all you wanna do is load the PQ to the GPS. Going through an application is just an unneeded additional step.

Unless you actually wanna look at the contents of the PQ on your PC, that is. But that's not a very common use case.

Edited by dfx

Plug in your GPS to the USB port on the computer. When you do that you should find that My Computer adds one or two new drives to your computer. Each drive should have a Garmin/GPX directory in it. One of the drives will be the GPS and one of the drives will be the memory card in the GPS. Decide which one you want to load the pocket query into. The GPS will have a blue triangle icon. Then double click on your pocket query file that you have saved. It will have two files inside. One will be xxxx.gpx and the other will be xxxx-waypoints.gpx. The caches are in the one without -waypoints on it. Copy that file into the Garmin/GPX directory. If you want the additional waypoints (parking coordinates, trailheads etc) then copy both files into the Garmin/GPX directory.

That should load the caches into your GPS.

Thanks! I just bought a Oregon 450 and was wondering the same thing of where to put the files.