Member Only Caches/I'm not being allowed in

Murrcat

I am a charter member and the system won't let me access member only pages. Is anyone else having this problem? I am logged in. When I click on "details", it sends me to the page saying I must be a member to view the page. I then re-entered my ID# and it still won't let me view member only pages. What gives? I feel if I just leave it and come back later, this problem probably will have solved itself but I wanted to hunt a certain nearby member only cache today and needed to access the page. Just wondering if it's only me or are others experiencing the same problem.

Thanks Jeremy for whatever you did. I just tried again to access a member only cache page and was able to get in. I haven't a clue what you mean by my browser may be caching my pages. I'm really rather "computer stupid" and only know what I've been able to teach myself which ususally gets me into trouble. So now I'm headed out to try and find this cache I was wanting to find today. I hope my browser doesn't do this to me again. Thanks for all your hard work! You Da Man!

Caching a page: When you ask a web site for a page the very first time, the page is transmitted to you and is displayed on your screen. The web browser program also keeps a copy of the page in its own "cache", that is, its own internal memory.

Just about every page you visit will wind up in the the web browser's cache for some length of time. When you ask for any page, the program will check to see if it already has a current copy of that page in the cache. If it does, it displays it from its cached copy, so it does not have to take the time to download it again. If the page in the cache is not up to date, then the browser will download a new copy. (Thats the way its supposed to work anyway.)

Various things will sometimes confuse the web browser, and instead of downloading a new page that has changed, will instead show you an older or incorrect version of the page from the cache.

This can usualy be cleared up by exiting the browser and restarting it. In some extream cases there is usually a option or command in the browser specifically marked: "Clear all pages from the local cache" or something to that effect.

Things can also get more confused when web sites need to use "cookies" which geocaching.com does. Just like old cached pages, sometimes the cookies can get mixed up too. When wierdness happens, try exiting and restarting your web browser program and see if that helps. If it dosent, then it may be a bug in the web site, especially if its repeatable.

icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

Caching a page: When you ask a web site for a page the very first time, the page is transmitted to you and is displayed on your screen. The web browser program also keeps a copy of the page in its own "cache", that is, its own internal memory.

Just about every page you visit will wind up in the the web browser's cache for some length of time. When you ask for any page, the program will check to see if it already has a current copy of that page in the cache. If it does, it displays it from its cached copy, so it does not have to take the time to download it again. If the page in the cache is not up to date, then the browser will download a new copy. (Thats the way its supposed to work anyway.)

Various things will sometimes confuse the web browser, and instead of downloading a new page that has changed, will instead show you an older or incorrect version of the page from the cache.

This can usualy be cleared up by exiting the browser and restarting it. In some extream cases there is usually a option or command in the browser specifically marked: "Clear all pages from the local cache" or something to that effect.

Things can also get more confused when web sites need to use "cookies" which geocaching.com does. Just like old cached pages, sometimes the cookies can get mixed up too. When wierdness happens, try exiting and restarting your web browser program and see if that helps. If it dosent, then it may be a bug in the web site, especially if its repeatable.

icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

Thanks Centaur for explaining this to me. I now understand a little better what exactly was going on. If it happens again I'll know to exit and restart. Maybe I'm a little less computer stupid now. What would the rest of us do without computer geeks to get us out of trouble?