Oregon 450 Files Aren't Being Saved

I 'sent to my GPS' a couple of caches as per usual on Saturday but when I got to the caching area neither file was on the 450 even though the message I received in both cases was 'File Saved Successfully'.

I came home and repeated the process and once again when I went to 'Find a Geoache' they weren't there.

I read about there being a limit as to the number of GPX files but there was no way I was even close to that and I wasn't choosing the GPX option (unless 'send to my GPS' does that? but why the option? anyway..).

So I went into the disc image, I have a Mac and use Safari, and deleted about 140 GPX files being careful not to delete anything else. In fact I left a few GPX files in there.

But now all I get when I try to 'Find a Geocache' is the message 'No Results Found. Try Adjusting Search Parameters'.

I emailed Garmin and got a reply saying that there is a problem with Mac Communicator Plugin (they say the files are said to have been transferred when in fact they are not) and while they try to fix it I can download GPX files to BaseCamp and export them then to the Oregon.

Thing is when I do this I still get the message 'No Results Found. Try Adjusting Search Parameters'.

So I'm thinking I've screwed up something when I went into the disc image.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get the Oregon back working? Can I reinstall system software? If so, how.

Thanks for your help

I read about there being a limit as to the number of GPX files but there was no way I was even close to that and I wasn't choosing the GPX option (unless 'send to my GPS' does that? but why the option? anyway..).

Send to GPS will write a GPX for every cache to your 450.

I believe the Oregon will only show caches within 50 miles. Are the caches you're trying to look at within that radius? Just want to eliminate the easy problems first before digging deeper.

Couple of questions :

1. What are the GPX files that you left in there?

2. After you deleted the GPX, did you empty your trash? I don't have a Mac, but I recall someone mentioning that you need to empty trash to delete the files from a USB drive.

I'm assuming that you wrote a valid GPX to the correct location on the Garmin. The only other thing I can think of doing right now is to delete all the GPX on your Oregon.

There's some factory reset key sequence that I don't recall right now. Let's save that for when nothing else works.

Have to admit that confuses me. You can save as a GPX or Send to you GPS which you say is also GPX. Is the GPX option just to send it to your computer?

The "GPX file" button produces a GPX file and tells your browser that it's a file to download. So you get the familiar file download dialog.

The "send to GPS" button also produces a GPX file, but doesn't pass it onto your browser as a file download. Instead, it fires up the Garmin plugin and hands the GPX file to the plugin. The plugin locates your Oregon and saves the file to its storage.

Have to admit that confuses me. You can save as a GPX or Send to you GPS which you say is also GPX. Is the GPX option just to send it to your computer?

The "GPX file" option is meant to save to the computer, but it can also be saved to the Oregon if you specify the correct folder. The main difference is # of logs - I believe you get 20 logs instead of the 5 logs if you use the communicator plug-in.

On my Windows machine, I have GPX associated with GSAK. When I click "GPX file", the file is sent to GSAK to add / update its offline database.

The communicator plug-in works with a wide range of units, and depending on the unit, may or may not write a GPX file. For the Oregon, it writes a GPX file. For something like, say, an eTrex Venture HC, it does its own proprietary magic and saves a waypoint into the unit.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the suggestion to roll back and the link for the older version of the communicator! I went nuts while in Anchorage from the village trying to get GPX files to load! I tried to get a Leap Day cache but I guess I just have something to look forward to in 4 years.....

Now it's working again. I love my Cache Community!

I 'sent to my GPS' a couple of caches as per usual on Saturday but when I got to the caching area neither file was on the 450 even though the message I received in both cases was 'File Saved Successfully'.

I came home and repeated the process and once again when I went to 'Find a Geoache' they weren't there.

So I went into the disc image, I have a Mac and use Safari, and deleted about 140 GPX files being careful not to delete anything else. In fact I left a few GPX files in there.

But now all I get when I try to 'Find a Geocache' is the message 'No Results Found. Try Adjusting Search Parameters'.

I emailed Garmin and got a reply saying that there is a problem with Mac Communicator Plugin (they say the files are said to have been transferred when in fact they are not) and while they try to fix it I can download GPX files to BaseCamp and export them then to the Oregon.

Thing is when I do this I still get the message 'No Results Found. Try Adjusting Search Parameters'.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get the Oregon back working? Can I reinstall system software? If so, how.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

I had the same problem this week with the Oregon 450 and the Dakota 20. Apparently I downloaded an updated version and that messed everything up. I reverted back to the v3.0.1 (or the gentlemen at the apple store did that for me) -and I can download again. See Coggins reply above -that's what we used.