Deleting (NOT archiving) a cache

Team Covalt

Apparently there is not a function to delete a cache from the system (Yes I know that it can be archived, but what if you no longer want it in the system). If there is a way, please post it.

Wouldn't it be nice to delete (Not keep in archives) caches of yours that no longer exist for various reasons and you have no desire to keep them?

Happy geocaching to all

Garmin Vista

Garmin Street Pilot

and a partridge in a pear tree

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Roger:

Wouldn't it be nice to delete (Not keep in archives) caches of yours that no longer exist for various reasons and you have no desire to keep them?

Can't you archive it with the option of not being open for viewing?? icon_confused.gif (Or is that something available only to the TPTB?)

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Why would you want to do that? I like to be able to go to archived caches that were on my list to do, to see why they've been archived. And I like to leave them on my watch list for a while, just in case they become unarchived. Also, I sometimes want to go back to the page for an archived cache that I've done.

Bill

quote:

IMHO, it would not be nice. If I find a cache and it later disappears, I still want to be able to look at the archived cache page. It's part of my geocaching history. I wouldn't want the hider to delete that history.

quote:
Originally posted by mph6563:

quote:

IMHO, it would not be nice. If I find a cache and it later disappears, I still want to be able to look at the archived cache page. It's part of my geocaching history. I wouldn't want the hider to delete that history.

I agree. I don't want my finds and history going away because someone got bored with their cache page.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

I agree with the others - do not delete the records.

Now please explain yourself...why in the world would you want to delete the cache instead of archiving it?

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Now please explain yourself...why in the world would you want to delete the cache instead of archiving it?

I agree that I want to keep archived caches available for postarity's sake (and my find log, too icon_wink.gif

However, I can also see the need to delete a cache IF it was NEVER approved in the first place. I have a suite of 6 from a zoo that were never approved, (the rules had changed, and I understand. I'm not bitter, really!) And yet they remain on my list of archived caches.

There's 2¢, and I got more where that came from! icon_smile.gif

MTGC-bug.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ego:

However, I can also see the need to delete a cache IF it was NEVER approved in the first place. I have a suite of 6 from a zoo that were never approved, (the rules had changed, and I understand. I'm not bitter, really!) And yet they remain on my list of archived caches

To put it a bit too simply, it's generally perceived as very bad form in databases such as this to delete information. You'll not find many database geeks who would even think of deleting archived cache information.

Now, for a completely tangential discussion... The six caches were never approved and so they just sit there doing nothing, *but* there is *nothing* that says you cannot "repurpose" those cache pages. icon_wink.gif All you need to do is create a new cache (or several) and edit one or more of those old, unused cache pages of yours. Put in all the new information and descriptions and coordinates and all, and then request that the replacement cache(s) be approved and unarchived.

I wouldn't suggest doing this with a cache that actually existed and was archived, but if the cache never was approved in the first place, you're not losing anything, and you can get rid of those archived nevercaches that you have bothering you. If they're not *really* bothering you, don't bother, but if they are bothering you, it shouldn't be too much a bother to bother to use them. (Oh, *brother*! icon_biggrin.gif)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Now, for a completely tangential discussion... The six caches were never approved and so they just sit there doing nothing, *but* there is *nothing* that says you cannot "repurpose" those cache pages. icon_wink.gif All you need to do is create a new cache (or several) and edit one or more of those old, unused cache pages of yours. Put in all the new information and descriptions and coordinates and all, and then request that the replacement cache(s) be approved and unarchived.

I have an unapproved cache that I use just for testing the formatting of a new cache page. Once everything looks right there, I can copy and paste to the real cache page.

3608_2800.gif

I have found that if you have an archived cache that has never been approved. You can use it when creating new caches by puting in the new cache coorninates on the unused page you can pull up a topo of the new area and get an idea of what the new cache will look like before submitting it.

You can also use these never approved archived caches to see where a waypoint of a multi cache or a cache that only give the parking coorninates in the title, to see where the cache is located on a topo.

Maybe the answer would be the ability to move it off your "My Cache page". Then it stays in the system, but your page only shows active caches, or travel bugs, etc...

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I'm pretty sure that you can do this with pocket queries.

Please refer to them as pockets with alternative lifestyles.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."