FTF Etiquette

FDWhitey

Today I had my 1st FTF. It was very exciting for me. But, is there proper Etiquette for a chache when it comes to FTF?

What I mean is - lets say I arrived at the coords for a cache and there was another cacher searching for the same cache. Being they arrived before I did should I allow them to find it and earn the FTF? Or, is it GAME ON and FTF is FTF?

I wasn't sure is there is an unwritten rule?

Thanks,

FDWhitey

I'm sure this is locally variable.

I'm going to quote a log of Capaldo's on FTF. This from a some years back. One of my favorite logs, ever:

I was happily caching all by my lonesome for nearly a year before I came across a real live cacher and that

was too soon. Until then, other cachers were only messages in log books or tracks in cyberspace to be

deciphered like so much bear scat.

Finally, I encountered Loki and Methos at Horrors of Spider Island . I'd just scored FTF and the most coveted trade

item to boot. When I emerged from a thicket of pepper trees, they were just landing their kayaks, flush with the

excitement of the hunt.

Then they saw the GPS in my one hand and the shiny prize in the other, and their expressions suddenly hardened.

The words we exchanged were civil, but the clicking of cold mental calculations was almost audible as our eyes

warily darted back and forth. Clearly, I could easily have taken Methos, but Loki would have been on my throat

as quickly and viciously as a panther the moment I moved on her mate. We parted under an unspoken, tenuous truce,

with the knowledge that our next encounter would end with at least one shallow grave and unmarked waypoint.

That's how it was back in the day and it was good. And now we have a Disneyfied reenactment of a once noble pursuit.

That's all I got to say about that.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I'm sure this is locally variable.

I'm going to quote a log of Capaldo's on FTF. This from a some years back. One of my favorite logs, ever:

I was happily caching all by my lonesome for nearly a year before I came across a real live cacher and that

was too soon. Until then, other cachers were only messages in log books or tracks in cyberspace to be

deciphered like so much bear scat.

Finally, I encountered Loki and Methos at Horrors of Spider Island . I'd just scored FTF and the most coveted trade

item to boot. When I emerged from a thicket of pepper trees, they were just landing their kayaks, flush with the

excitement of the hunt.

Then they saw the GPS in my one hand and the shiny prize in the other, and their expressions suddenly hardened.

The words we exchanged were civil, but the clicking of cold mental calculations was almost audible as our eyes

warily darted back and forth. Clearly, I could easily have taken Methos, but Loki would have been on my throat

as quickly and viciously as a panther the moment I moved on her mate. We parted under an unspoken, tenuous truce,

with the knowledge that our next encounter would end with at least one shallow grave and unmarked waypoint.

That's how it was back in the day and it was good. And now we have a Disneyfied reenactment of a once noble pursuit.

That's all I got to say about that.

That was one cool log! Love it