Showing DNFs on maps

milfmog

I have seen lots of discussion here about whether folks log their DNFs or not and why. My own take is that DNFs are part of caching so I log them. The other aspect of that is that many of my DNFs are fun and worth a repeat visit for another go.

As my cache count rises, I find it increasingly difficult to remember which caches I've previously DNFd so I'd like to be able to see them on the maps, perhaps as a little blue, unhappy face.

This seems such an obvious idea that I am surprised it is not already implemented. Maybe it's not so easy to do or others just have no interest or perhaps I've missed a preference setting somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Ian.

AFAIK there isn't a setting to simply show your DNFs on a map.

What I do is bookmark all of my DNFs on a hidden bookmark list so I get notified when someone else either finds it or DNFs it, that way I can tell if I was at fault or not.

Then you can create a PQ from the bookmark list and display that on the map, this will even display the location of caches which have since been archived as well.

Sure there is a setting... It would be a not found cache.

Yes, I know that you want to see one that you hunted for and didn't find (an icon showing that you tried), but is it really that much different than one that you didn't hunt for? It still shows as it was before you hunted it. Other than that little fact, there is no distinction.

....just looking at the other side of the coin. That's all.

Please, don't hit me. :o:lol::)

Although, I will often go into my geocaching details and click on 'Did not find it' and have a list of all my DNF's.... There's no 'map it' button or even a 'send to GPS' or PQ button from that list (unlike you can do on a bookmark list).

I could agree...seeing the BLUE frownie faces on the map would be nice to see - you've been here, kinda thing.

I log DNFs, but don't want blue faces on my map. In fact, if this were done, I'd probably delete all of my current DNF logs and just bookmark DNFs instead. The burning desire to return and find the container isn't really there for me. It isn't uncommon for 1.5-2 years to pass before I bother to search again and I have no problem remembering them. The blue frownies would just be unwelcome map clutter. Unless there was a way to easily disable the feature, the non-DNF-logging group will just grow larger.

What I do is bookmark all of my DNFs on a hidden bookmark list so I get notified when someone else either finds it or DNFs it, that way I can tell if I was at fault or not.

Then you can create a PQ from the bookmark list and display that on the map, this will even display the location of caches which have since been archived as well.

Sometimes it is obvious how to do something once somebody else points it out. Thanks for that.

I think I'd still like to have the option of a blue face being displayed, but creating a switchable mapping option is probably more effort than would be justified by the return.

In the meantime your suggestion pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Thanks again.

Ian.

I log DNFs, but don't want blue faces on my map. In fact, if this were done, I'd probably delete all of my current DNF logs and just bookmark DNFs instead. The burning desire to return and find the container isn't really there for me. It isn't uncommon for 1.5-2 years to pass before I bother to search again and I have no problem remembering them. The blue frownies would just be unwelcome map clutter. Unless there was a way to easily disable the feature, the non-DNF-logging group will just grow larger.

So they still will show up as active caches and you are likely to go there again when you really don't want to. Maybe logging the DNF and then putting the cache on your ignore list would be better. I do that a lot.

So they still will show up as active caches and you are likely to go there again when you really don't want to. Maybe logging the DNF and then putting the cache on your ignore list would be better. I do that a lot.

No, there is no need for me to place them on the ignore list. The situation isn't that I try to avoid the geocaches I have DNFed. When I am in the area again, it will likely get another attempt if the container doesn't appear to be missing and if time permits. The geocache density is very high in my area. It just often takes that long for me to return to the DNF's location, especially if I have found all of the other caches nearby.

I have seen lots of discussion here about whether folks log their DNFs or not and why. My own take is that DNFs are part of caching so I log them. The other aspect of that is that many of my DNFs are fun and worth a repeat visit for another go.

As my cache count rises, I find it increasingly difficult to remember which caches I've previously DNFd so I'd like to be able to see them on the maps, perhaps as a little blue, unhappy face.

This seems such an obvious idea that I am surprised it is not already implemented. Maybe it's not so easy to do or others just have no interest or perhaps I've missed a preference setting somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Ian.

I think blue faces on caches that I have visited but not found would help me plan future caching trips. I hope this feature would be implemented.

Duke68

I agree as well, as I mentioned this exact same feature request in another thread (sorry, didn't find this one to simply comment on it). For the same reasons, I'd like to simply view the map of an area and see the blue frowny faces to see which ones I DNF'd...so I can look for them at a later date. Or another option would be allowing a PQ to display DNF's would work as well. In any case, it seems like a very simply request with lots of benefits :).

This would be useful for me too. I hate it when I make a route of ones that I haven't found yet, and then I start to realize "I've been here before" - yup, DNFs from several months ago. Couldn't find it then, can't find it now... bah. If only I'd have known from looking at the map, I would have went another way and looked for different ones.

...Many (or at least some) of the DNF caches gets archived after a short time. Do you think that those still should be visible as a frownie on the map?

You are unlikely to go and look for an archived cache, so it seems reasonable not to show it on the map. Anyway, caches archived after you find them disappear from the maps, it would seem sensible to employ the same logic with DNF frownies.

Happy caching,

Ian.

mmm the strange thing is as far as i remember last june when i started geocaching i remeber that those "blue" frown were on the map...

for the moment what i do is go to my profile page to show my logs and select Did not find ... but if found it later still there but by clicking on it i can see i found it..

Could be a "querry option" "that i logged a dnf" added to the "i haven`t found it" would list all the current DNF

We could then do a "that i logged a dnf" and add "found in last 7 days" to create a list of caches to revisit since they are confirmed there..

This could really be usefull... bu i really am sure that this WAS on the map Before... as i remember that i noticed that it was on the map but lacking a DNF icon in the gps... so i am sure it was There somehow!!!

mapideas.jpg

This a visualization of one way DNFs could be shown on the map. A blue halo around the edges of a cache icone shows a DNF was logged. If you click oto view the full-size image you can see it better. This is helpful to quickly see caches that you DNFed sometime in the past, without loosing the cache icon by replacing it with a blue frowny face.

I submitted this as an idea into the old feedback system and it was declined because it represented multiple suggestions.

I was about to post this as a new topic .... glad i used the search button now :)

I would love to see this too, currently i have a local area map in my hall with stickers over the DNF's.

I see DNF's as a challenge, there is one near me that is more like a nemesis and i for one would love to see on the GC map.

It would be great for when away on business/holidays too, if i go back to the same places i've post a DNF on one then next time i return to the area i'd think ahha that little blighter... im going to get him this time :)

I can understand that not everyone would want to see it, so working in the same kind of way as the option of seeing or not seeing your found caches would be good.

...Many (or at least some) of the DNF caches gets archived after a short time. Do you think that those still should be visible as a frownie on the map?

You are unlikely to go and look for an archived cache, so it seems reasonable not to show it on the map. Anyway, caches archived after you find them disappear from the maps, it would seem sensible to employ the same logic with DNF frownies.

Happy caching,

Ian.

Though sometimes I do just that. Sometimes, I see that a cache has just been archived, and I might have insider knowledge, I'm betting the owner hasn't picked up his garbage...

I've also been in an area with several current caches and one cache has been in my GPS for a while, but it was archived and I didn't know it, I went and looked for it, and I actually found it. There was even a pathtag in it!

I think this is a great idea. Especially if there is a way to differentiate between dnf caches that haven't been found since and those that have.

I've really not at all interested in seeing cache that I have DNFd and subsequently found on the map but being able see caches with a DNF log and no subsequent found it log could be quite useful.

Actually, when the beta maps were released without the Google maps layer, and one clicked on a PQ query map preview icon, caches which I had DNFd *did* show up with a different icon, but as soon as you clicked on the Search tab on the map page the icon would change to a regular ammo can icon. At the time it was a bug, but it could have been an unintended feature.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Actually, when the beta maps were released without the Google maps layer, and one clicked on a PQ query map preview icon, caches which I had DNFd *did* show up with a different icon, but as soon as you clicked on the Search tab on the map page the icon would change to a regular ammo can icon. At the time it was a bug, but it could have been an unintended feature.

I remember that, but it wasn't just DNFs. It was caches that you logged ANY log type on, like notes, NMs, etc. Not nearly as useful...

Sorry, I wasn't being clear, I didn't mean caches that I had found after a dnf, but that other people had found, so I can differentiate between caches that may have been muggled/abandoned and ones I was just too dense to find. ie: I would try those ones again, but wouldn't revisit one that hadn't been found by anyone since.

I am in favor of the BLUE DNF smiley on maps. If there is a special icon for premium and owned, then why not DNF. It just makes sense and provides value.

ditto. they could even just leave the graphic depicting the type of cache, but turn the background blue or some other color. that way you could still tell what type of cache it is...similar to how they are greyed out when the cache is disabled.

Edited by J Grouchy

Yeah, a blue frownie would be cool. Not the first time this has actually been suggested, IIRC. I think I've seen it suggested somewhere along the line. After all, the system is intelligent enough to know the ones I did find, why not the ones I didn't?

And, while we're at it, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see where the archived caches were too. Those don't show up on the map at all, yet they're still part of the DB. But, since I can manipulate the data in a lot more ways in GSAK, I don't let this limitation stop me on Groundspeak.

I would love to be able to view my DNF's on the map along with all of my finds. When I first started geocaching I remember being surprised that the little blue faces didn't show up on the map, so I had to make a list of any caches I didn't find so I didn't forget them. Having on the map would be so much better. (Not sure why this hasn't been done already.)

This would be great for me too. I do a lot of my caching by bike, so sometimes I miss one by cycling past. It'd be nice to be able to go back and find one I'd missed - at the moment I can't tell if I visited or not. I'm not that OCD that I need to get every single one in my area - but I do like to know I've tried, and at least I have found the location. Perhaps that's not purist caching. Also I use the map to plan a route to pick up caches - and having ones that I've already visited but DNF simply makes that harder. A simple extension of the logic that reads the found flag would work - and an option in configuration to choose to show DNFs or not.