New Girl needs help with eXplorist 210?

december99

I found a Geocache at Oneata(sp?) Falls by mistake, and it was so cool, that I want to play now. I bought a Magellan eXplorist 210 from Craigslist, and I think it sucks? I found a USB/power adapter on ebay, but is this a bad GPS? If so, can you recommend something more user friendly in a medium price range? Maybe I just need a little direction? LOL

Thank you

I've used Magellan eXplorist 100,200,210,400 and now the 610 and all have worked well for me. The 210 appealed to me as it does have the geocache manager ability. the one issue with it is that the files can only hold 200 caches but you can have as many files as you have memory and with an SD card, that can be alot. the more files the longer it does take to load on startup but still a worthwhile unit.

Well, probably because I got it from Craigs List and there are no instructions/documentation with it, software or USB/power adapter. I would like something easier to input coordinates into, and save, and go. I did download the instructions, ordered an adapter for 10.00 from Ebay. I guess I would rather have someone show me, than read the documentation.

I've used Magellan eXplorist 100,200,210,400 and now the 610 and all have worked well for me. The 210 appealed to me as it does have the geocache manager ability. the one issue with it is that the files can only hold 200 caches but you can have as many files as you have memory and with an SD card, that can be alot. the more files the longer it does take to load on startup but still a worthwhile unit.

Well, probably because I got it from Craigs List and there are no instructions/documentation with it, software or USB/power adapter. I would like something easier to input coordinates into, and save, and go. I did download the instructions, ordered an adapter for 10.00 from Ebay. I guess I would rather have someone show me, than read the documentation.

Welcome to geocaching december99.

Being one that doesn't like reading lots of instruction/documentation all I can suggest is you Google "Magellan eXplorist video" and there you may get some basic steps to help you start up and getting a find, also go to the web and search for a local geocaching group. Here you can find others who will help and show you possibly tricks with your gps. Geocaching is great fun but many have and will get frustrated trying to find caches and after a short period of time give up, so if that happens you're not out big $$$.

Also in a group cache setting you get to see different units and are able to determine what you’d like for the next gps purchase (I’ve had 3 already) Best of luck hope to see you out and about the trails someday.

The explorist 210 is a very old unit, as far as GPSrs go. Since Magellan produced the 210 they replaced it with the Triton series and now with the new line of eXplorist which includes the GC, 110, 310, 510, 610 and 710. As a tester for Magellen I've had to opportunity to use each of these units, except for the new 110 and I can tell you that you're going to be much happier with one of the new eXplorist units. If you're looking for something easy to use and just for Geocaching the GC is a neat little unit. However, for just a few more dollars you can get the eXplorist 310 which includes routing and tracks as well as the ability to install higher end maps that can be purchased from Magellan. Both of these units come with the world map already installed, but the eX310 can handle the same topo maps that come on the eX610 and eX710, but are seperated into regions due to limited memory on the unit. As far as Geocaching, both of these units will handle 10,000 geocaches at a time and are extremely accurate. As to date I've logged over 4500 caches with these new units and have been extremely happy with them. If you have any more question just give me a shout or join us over that http://www.exploristforum.com.

David

P.S. - You can find the eX310 on the net for under $150.00 and I've seen it as low as $139.00 on Amazon, but you just have to keep your eyes open and watch for sales...

Edited by Socal ZukiCachers

The 210 is a good performing GPSr. You need to get a USB data cable to exchange info into and out of the unit. All data is moved in the form of files, so there are geocache files, waypoint files, track files, route files. They are actually text files but they have difference extensions; (geocache files are : geocache.gs and are limited to 200 caches.)

You can get the free software from Magellan: "Vantage Point" and it will work with your 210. Click on the "Exchange" button in the program, not "Sync." You name the file save it into the Geocache folder in the internal menu of the GPS. Then you have to go into the memory and make that file active. (You get the geocache data from creating Pocket Queries when you become a paid member of this site.)

Mentioned above are the newer units. These are a step up in usability and exchange all data in the form of standard GPX file format. I recommend the 110. It has included maps and can be found for as little as US$115.

Edited by EScout

The 210 was my first GPS, at the time it was better than most Garmins on accuracy, then the Hcx series came out and they were pretty closely matched at that point. The 210 does NOT have a SD slot so you can only fit so much map detail and geocaches at a time. But its doable. Like others have said, google that unit and you will find info and be on your way. If you find you really do like geocaching, then you can think about updating to a paperless unit and go from there. But you have this one, might as well give it a go, again mine worked just fine until it finally died on me and I got a Garmin Colorado that I still use to this day.