Any thing new in the caching world?

El Diablo

Well guys....anything new since I've been gone? Anyone built a better hiking staff or a magazine yet? Created a new type of cache? Surely something has happened. Fill me in.

El Diablo

P.S Hey to all the old friends!

FTF Geocacher magazine is here to stay! I believe they have published 12 issues so far. The Other U.S. basedGeocaching magazine, incredibly tried to "come back", and still hasn't published it's 2nd issue. Total con game going on over there at that one. I don't know much about it, but I think some guy in Australia managed to pull off a successful print magazine on Geocaching also.

Here in the forums? Others might have a different opinion, but I think the biggest story of 2011 was that some (then) Newbie from the UK decided he was going to create a "Geocache Spoilers" Youtube channel, where he posted videos of finding other people's caches. Groundspeak initially banned him, he got a TON of support from the community, and Groundspeak ended up ammending their "spoiler" policy to their own websites only. He's still posting the videos, and there is now some newbie in Arizona with a similar Youtube channel showing other peoples caches.

Well guys....anything new since I've been gone? Anyone built a better hiking staff or a magazine yet? Created a new type of cache? Surely something has happened. Fill me in.

El Diablo

P.S Hey to all the old friends!

Hi, welcome back. I just got back from a hiatus too.

I see you retained your Charter Membership. That's really cool. Don't miss a renewal! I missed a renewal and I lost my Charter Membership designation. :(

Mingo is now the oldest still active geocache and there is some brouhaha going on over it.

The is now only 1 ape cache left in the world. The one in Brazil.

There are challenges now. I haven't quite figured out what's going on with them yet. What they look like to me is Groundspeaks answer to the whole Locationless cache thing.

You profile has a statistics tag. You don't have to download a PQ and run it thru some third party software to get your geocaching statistics anymore.

You DNF count still doesn't show up in your statistics. It would be nice to have my geocache "batting average" automatically calculated for me.

Hey Jerry, good to hear from ya.

I'd say power trails and the previously impossible find counts that people rack up on them is a big change. People can now find more caches in a day that I found in 10+ years.

Challenges are new development. They are Groundspeak's new answer to virtual caches.

I never did get around to ordering an El Diablo hiking stick, but a NJ cacher, Edgrac, has filled the void and is making some beautiful hiking sticks for geocachers.

Edited by briansnat

I'd say power trails and the previously impossible find counts that people rack up on them is a big change. People can now find more caches in a day that I found in 10+ years.

Challenges are new development. They are Groundspeak's new answer to virtual caches.

I never did get around to ordering an El Diablo hiking stick, but a NJ cacher, Edgrac, has filled the void and is making some beautiful hiking sticks for geocachers.

I've been seeing some of the insane number of finds people have been racking up. Totally unbelieveable! I remember if you found 100 caches you probably had to cache in multiple states to reach that number.Back in June I survived a abdominal aorta aneurysm and when I got out of the hospital I tried to do some caching as a means to help recover but I wasn't physically ready so I stopped trying. As soon as work permits I'm going to give it another shot. I'll have to look into this Challenge thingy. They can't be worse than micro LP caches can they?

I've been seeing some of the insane number of finds people have been racking up. Totally unbelieveable! I remember if you found 100 caches you probably had to cache in multiple states to reach that number.Back in June I survived a abdominal aorta aneurysm and when I got out of the hospital I tried to do some caching as a means to help recover but I wasn't physically ready so I stopped trying. As soon as work permits I'm going to give it another shot. I'll have to look into this Challenge thingy. They can't be worse than micro LP caches can they?

Well come back. Hope you're doing well!

Same circus, different clowns.

Power trails are a big, but not surprising change. Geocaching Challenges are the latest addition to Ground Speak portfolio of fun. I think they are pretty cool, kind of the best of Virtuals, Locationless, and ALR's. Some cacher feel differently.

The game has also opened up to a much wider audience with the introduction of the cell phone apps. You can literal go caching without a dedicated GPS or computer. Again, some people think this is great, other not so.