Problems downloading caches to Garmin Etrex 10

atdonauer

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty downloading caches to this model of GPS. I have downloaded Garmin's plugin and when it recognizes the device and the website. Next I ask it to write the GPX file which the plugin software declares as successful. However, when I check on the GPS device under the listing of geocaches, none appears. USB seems fine. Working on a MAC if that matters. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks A

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty downloading caches to this model of GPS. I have downloaded Garmin's plugin and when it recognizes the device and the website. Next I ask it to write the GPX file which the plugin software declares as successful. However, when I check on the GPS device under the listing of geocaches, none appears. USB seems fine. Working on a MAC if that matters. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks A

I don't know a thing about Macs, so this is a shot in the dark.

Try downloading the file to your desktop and then drag it to the GPX folder on the Etrex.

Hi,

thanks A

I just got the eTrex 10 and have successfully loaded pocket queries. When I plugged in my device, it mounted as E:. (Make sure it's in USB mode.) All I did then was save the unzipped .gpx file in the folder E:\Garmin\GPX. When I unplugged the device and powered it on, it automatically loaded the data as caches.

I have read that some people had problems with large files (500+ results). I don't know if anyone has the answer, but I've loaded multiple small ones (~200) and haven't had any problems.

Hi,

thanks A

I don't know a thing about Macs, so this is a shot in the dark.

Try downloading the file to your desktop and then drag it to the GPX folder on the Etrex.

this may be a stupid question, but I am having the same problem as the original poster and I have NO IDEA how to download a cache to the desktop. help?

this may be a stupid question, but I am having the same problem as the original poster and I have NO IDEA how to download a cache to the desktop. help?

One way of doing it on the Mac, if you are using Safari, is to click on the GPX file button under the Download section of the cache webpage. This will automatically put the file in your Downloads folder which normally pops up on the screen somewhere. It'll be either the first or the last in the list but it should be viewable in the list - look for the matching GC?????.gpx name (? represents any character). Click on the magnifying glass icon to the right; this opens up the Downloads folder in another window. Close the first Downloads windows leaving the new one open. Then, double click on the GARMIN icon on your desktop. Now you should have open, Safari, one Downloads windows and the Garmin window.

Make sure you can see the GC?????.gcx in the Downloads windows and the GPX folder in the Garmin window. When you can, simply drag and drop the GC????.gcx file onto the GPX folder. You should see the new gpx file in the Garmin window now. If you can, you have successfully transferred the cache to your device.

Hi,

thanks A

I also have this problem. I just upgraded to the new eTrex 30 and downloaded the closest cache to try it out. The cache went on ok. Then, stupidly looking back, I upgraded the Garmin Communicator plug-in. Now, it fails to download the file to the device. I think the problem lies with the Garmin Communicator.

Had the very same problem in my case it's due to the fact that you can apparently only see the 20 nearest caches to your location in the Geocache list, the others can be seen on the map list. Filters could be used to find the cache your after but I've not tried this.

A post helped me with this and the 20 cache limit, please see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290694

Hope this helps.

I'm having trouble too. If I'm lucky, it will say that an E file or whatever was detected, but it can't find it. But mostly, plugging my Garmin into the computer just turns it on. It doesn't go to the screen when you can download caches, it goes to the main page. This is the second one Etrex 10 I've had, and I never had this problem with my other one.

I have a Mac with OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) on it and the most recent Safari and Garmin Communicator. GPS is a 3 year old eTrex30.

Workalike a charm.

Two ways to download caches- One at a time or Pocket Queries.

The GPS should be connected to the computer and in mass storage mode. Should show up as "Garmin" in the list of devices in the main finder window.

One at a time:

On the cache page, click the "send to my GPS" button.

Click allow in the popup box to allow access to the GPSR

If the communicator is installed correctly, It will tell you that it has found the device.

Click "Write"

If it works, it should tell you that the cache has been downloaded vorrrectly

Repwat for each cache you want to download.

Many at once:

Set up a Pocket Query (see the instructions on how to do this (remember to pick a day!).

Once you get the email notifying you that the PQ has run, click the download link.

The GPX should be in your downloads folder, Keep this folder open.

Open your eTrex in a new finder window. There should be a folder labeled GPX.

Open that folder. Take the GPX file from your download folder and drag it to the GPX folder/

These caches should be visible when you remove the GPSR from yor computer.

That's all there is to it. Quick and simple. Never had it not work for me,

Edited by Wacka

I seem to be having a similar problem to some others in this thread.

Using etrex10 and MacBook Air and until tonight, never had a problem loading caches. Usually done after waiting for Garmin ICON to appear on desk top, then as simple as clicking on 'Send to GPS' on the cache page, followed by 'Write' on subsequent pop up page. That's it! Easy!

Not tonight though. Still click on 'Send to GPS', but then the 'Write' option is not available as 'Garmin Communicator Plug In NOT Detected' appears. Option 'Download and Install Now' appears. Follow the install instructions, which confirms Garmin Communicator Plugin installed, and device detected, but still unable to log caches !!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using etrex10 and MacBook Air and until tonight, never had a problem loading caches. Usually done after waiting for Garmin ICON to appear on desk top, then as simple as clicking on 'Send to GPS' on the cache page, followed by 'Write' on subsequent pop up page. That's it! Easy!

Not tonight though. Still click on 'Send to GPS', but then the 'Write' option is not available as 'Garmin Communicator Plug In NOT Detected' appears. Option 'Download and Install Now' appears. Follow the install instructions, which confirms Garmin Communicator Plugin installed, and device detected, but still unable to log caches !!

The situation has changed a bit since these posts and your issue isn't quite the same. I just explained the problem yesterday in another discussion, so I'll post the same thing here:

The Garmin Communicator plugin is on its way out. It uses old and insecure technology to do what it does, and many browsers have dropped support for that particular technology. Safari was the most recent, which is probably why you've just started encountering this problem.

It isn't looking promising for Garmin to come up with an updated version of the plugin, so you'll probably need to start using different methods to load caches. As a Premium member, you can use Pocket Queries to load caches in bulk, and this doesn't require the Garmin plugin. The other alternative is to use the GPX button. Instead of clicking "Send to My GPS", instead click "GPX file" and manually save the file to the GPX folder on the device. This is all the plugin did.

Hi,

I have used my etrex 10 on many occasions and know how to do queries etc but about a month ago it wont let me view caches and instead says No Geocaches found Go to garmin.com.....

I have literally just downloaded them and it went through the updates whilst being plugged in.

Any help please.

Thanks

Ben

The situation has changed a bit since these posts and your issue isn't quite the same. I just explained the problem yesterday in another discussion, so I'll post the same thing here:

The Garmin Communicator plugin is on its way out. It uses old and insecure technology to do what it does, and many browsers have dropped support for that particular technology. Safari was the most recent, which is probably why you've just started encountering this problem.

It isn't looking promising for Garmin to come up with an updated version of the plugin, so you'll probably need to start using different methods to load caches. As a Premium member, you can use Pocket Queries to load caches in bulk, and this doesn't require the Garmin plugin. The other alternative is to use the GPX button. Instead of clicking "Send to My GPS", instead click "GPX file" and manually save the file to the GPX folder on the device. This is all the plugin did.

Edited by Ben&JoHarte

I have used my etrex 10 on many occasions and know how to do queries etc but about a month ago it wont let me view caches and instead says No Geocaches found Go to garmin.com.....

I have literally just downloaded them and it went through the updates whilst being plugged in.

What is the "them" you downloaded? What type of computer are you using?

Hi,

The 'them' I am referring to is GPX files - same as ones I have used before.

Cheers

Ben

What is the "them" you downloaded? What type of computer are you using?

Hi,

I have downloaded PQs before and despite them being saved to the GPS, when I go to view on the GPS the wording comes up as - No Geocaches found Go to garmin.com.....

Thanks

Ben

[...]

[...]

Read this: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=342236&view=findpost&p=5622513

Or go the way with pocket queries:

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

Hans

Hi,

I have downloaded PQs before and despite them being saved to the GPS, when I go to view on the GPS the wording comes up as - No Geocaches found Go to garmin.com.....

[...]

You either forgot to unzip the PQ files or you were copying the resulting gpx files into the wrong folder.

You may have also only download the PQ's preview (.loc file) which is not working on the unit.

The correct path is: [Garmin unit]/Garmin/GPX/your files here

Hans

Edited by HHL
26 minutes ago, Pond Bird said:

I'm having an issue where my computer shows I have an unzipped GPX file in the GPX folder of my GPS but when I turn the GPS on after disconnecting it from the computer the caches don't show up. 

If it's a Garmin device, then that happens sometimes. Try the following procedure:

1. Copy the GPX file to somewhere on your computer and then delete it from the GPSr.
  2. Disconnect and turn on the GPSr. It should discover that it has no GPX files.
  3. Turn it off and connect it to your computer.
  4. Copy the GPX file back onto the GPSr, disconnect, and turn it on.

By doing this, you reset the internal index and force it to read the data from the GPX file again.

As a reminder, ensure you always use the "eject" function when disconnecting the device from your computer, or there can be file corruption which can lead to the issue you experienced.

18 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

If it's a Garmin device, then that happens sometimes. Try the following procedure:

1. Copy the GPX file to somewhere on your computer and then delete it from the GPSr.
  2. Disconnect and turn on the GPSr. It should discover that it has no GPX files.

By doing this, you reset the internal index and force it to read the data from the GPX file again.

As a reminder, ensure you always use the "eject" function when disconnecting the device from your computer, or there can be file corruption which can lead to the issue you experienced.

Yep, that's a fairly common occurence with my 62s. I now have all my gpx files on a micro SD card rather than in the main memory, so that when it happens in the field I can just pop the card out, boot the unit with no gpx files so it clears the index, then pop the card back in. So far it's worked every time.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, The A-Team said:

I've tried this and still not working after 3 months. 

I used to have a 10, now use a 20 and occasionally find that I get a similar problem, a GPX file which really is in the appropriate folder of the device utterly fails to show any caches when the GPS is switched on. So far this has always been remedied by hooking it up to the 'puter and following the steps given above.

One thought occurs to me though ... are you sure you are loading something within the capacity of the 10 ? As I recall it's not that generous , especially if you include a lot of logs for each cache. I'd try downloading a single cache to your desktop (using the button on the cache page ) and dragging & dropping to your Garmin's GPX folder.

If that does work at least you know the device is not broken. If it doesn't work, if it was my device my next move would be to find the backup I made on my computer when I first got the GPS ...