geocaching while sick?

Coldgears

I've been extremely sick the last week. Didn't go to school, I have bronchitis, I'm taking anti-biotics and cough medicine. I have tons of mucus coming out of my throught, fever, constant cough... The works!

However, I really wanted to drive 40+ miles to get the closest Wherigo cache to my house. I really want that Icon! I really think I am going to go tomorrow, but I know it'd be better just to rest.

Have you ever geocached while being sick?

Is it ridiculous to do?

However, I really wanted to drive 40+ miles to get the closest Wherigo cache to my house. I really want that Icon! I really think I am going to go tomorrow, but I know it'd be better just to rest.

I've geocached while sick, and I've passed on geocaching while sick. It really depends on the degree.

Chances are very good that the Wherigo cache will still be there next week, when you're feeling better. If you know it would be better to just rest, then why wouldn't you just rest?

I've geocached while sick, and I've passed on geocaching while sick. It really depends on the degree.

Chances are very good that the Wherigo cache will still be there next week, when you're feeling better. If you know it would be better to just rest, then why wouldn't you just rest?

Just use common sense, if you're taking any medication that may impair you then don't go especially if you're driving. Also if the Wherigo takes you off the beaten path don't put yourself in a spot you may passout and not be found.

I felt sick the other week so stayed at home and just had enough energy to look at a Cypher type puzzle cache that was near the top of my unfound list. I was quite surprised to find a solution and bit by bit I got some good co-ordinates that certainly made me feel better. In fact, I decided it may be helpful if i forced myself to get a bit of fresh air so went to look for the cache. This made me feel a lot better. After following the co-ords I was pleased to make a quick find which confirmed my decyphering skills and now I felt even better. It would appear I was actually cured by a Puzzle cache!!.

This is actually a big one for me. I have a condition called Ulcerative Colitis (UC) that is something I will always be sick with. Deciding when I feel up to caching can be tough. Back in Nov/Dec of 2010 I got real sick and could barely find one or two caches to find during that period.

I used to have UC that ended in me losing my large intestine. Three surgeries later, it is waaaaay better than medications. And I never have to worry about UC again.

Is it ridiculous to do?

I'm not aware of any caching requirement.

Of course there is. Rule #38. Sheesh, you've been around long enough, you should've remembered that. :rolleyes:

#38? What's 1 through 37 before its a requirement? Better have mentioned bacon in the first 17.

Oh, there's a WHOLE lot of rules. I'm sure that there's bacon in there somewhere. :unsure:

It can wait. It will still be there (you hope)

I don't get sick much but I did go caching with a sprained ankle. Even when I did it, before going to the doctors. Found out I had a hairline fracture.

In the next month or so I will be having surgery and maybe having difficulties getting to caches. Some of my friends have already offered to drive me around to some.

I've been extremely sick the last week. Didn't go to school, I have bronchitis, I'm taking anti-biotics and cough medicine. I have tons of mucus coming out of my throught, fever, constant cough... The works!

Have you ever geocached while being sick?

Is it ridiculous to do?

Do not fool around with bronchitis - some types can develop into worse conditions, pneumonia, pleurisy (I've had both), and if you think you feel lousy now, trust me, it can get worse. My advice is to take care of yourself, rest up, get well, and cache with renewed vigor when you feel better. It is a total drag waiting to get well, and at least for me, lung conditions just seem to last forever. Good luck, and get well soon!

As for caching while sick, if I have a cold or something worse, no, I generally wouldn't do that, although I became severely dehydrated and had came down with a virus rather suddenly in Hobbs Park last month, and nearly passed out at ground zero of the first, easiest cache in the park. Although I couldn't actually see all that well, I signed the log, and then basically collapsed onto the ground. I don't really recommend this. This really hit me rather suddenly, I went from feeling fine, to feeling like I'd been hit by a truck in under 1 minute.

Also, what you are saying is: You are not going to school but you are going to have fun instead? Ethics don't run deep in you yet do they?

I was thinking the same thing.....

You miss school or work - you'd better sit your a** at home and enjoy the 'down time' and relaxation. There's plenty of time to go geocaching when you get your butt back to work/school.

Edited by Lieblweb
Also, what you are saying is: You are not going to school but you are going to have fun instead? Ethics don't run deep in you yet do they?

That really depends upon the situation. It could be that he's not allowed to go per school/state rules, but he's feeling well enough to go anyway. For example, one of my kids woke up a few weeks ago with a temperature of 100 at 6 AM. State law says she's not allowed to go to daycare because she's got a fever & hasn't been on antibiotics to treat it (making her not contagious). By 7:30, the fever was gone, but she still wouldn't be allowed into daycare. So then what you do? The rules don't let you go, even though you're feeling well enough - it's not a matter of "ethics" now.

That really depends upon the situation. It could be that he's not allowed to go per school/state rules, but he's feeling well enough to go anyway.

Another example of why the OP might not be allowed to go to school in this instance is that he wrote the original post on 2/4 - Friday. "Tomorrow", when he wanted to cache, would have been 2/5 - or Saturday, which is not a school day for many, so no matter how ethical it might have been for the OP to go back to school, there's a decent chance he just couldn't have. Of course we don't know one way or the other. :rolleyes:

Actually it would be great if the OP would chime back in and tell us if he went or not, and if he did go, whether he got worse or better.

Unless he got so sick from geocaching he's in the hospital.

CG, check in and let us know you're okay!!

Check in on the off-topic forums too, so I don't worry about ya. I read those more than these.

For the future, YES stay home and take care of yourself. If you've sick enough to wonder whether you should go, then stay home. If you were well enough to go there would be no question.

And if you HAVE to go some time when you're not feeling well (assuming you're not going to sign the log and leave your gross sick germs for the rest of us), then do drive-up caches until you're better.

Stay home and work some puzzle caches!!!

Then you'll be all ready to go when you're feeling better.

Do not fool around with bronchitis - some types can develop into worse conditions, pneumonia, pleurisy (I've had both), and if you think you feel lousy now, trust me, it can get worse. My advice is to take care of yourself, rest up, get well, and cache with renewed vigor when you feel better. It is a total drag waiting to get well, and at least for me, lung conditions just seem to last forever. Good luck, and get well soon!

As for caching while sick, if I have a cold or something worse, no, I generally wouldn't do that, although I became severely dehydrated and had came down with a virus rather suddenly in Hobbs Park last month, and nearly passed out at ground zero of the first, easiest cache in the park. Although I couldn't actually see all that well, I signed the log, and then basically collapsed onto the ground. I don't really recommend this. This really hit me rather suddenly, I went from feeling fine, to feeling like I'd been hit by a truck in under 1 minute.

+1. I've had it too - several times. Activities seems to make it worse. Any sort of physical exertion seems to make the coughing increase. This can lead to worse things like what Mr. B mentioned. Take it easy!

I seem to have bronchitis every year around this time. Never had any problems other than someone earlier stated "What's a little mucous?" and it always seemed to go away on it's own.

Bronchitis two weeks ago...

Hiked as normal and even hit a "5" cliff hide, thinking I'd just work this one out. Guy thing I guess.

Next Month I'm 57 and a smoker, but (other than knees and such) never really had problems with my health.

Still not better, my other 2/3rds decided to make a Doc appointment for me.

The way I felt did have me a bit worried and caved in to her "request."

X-rays showed it pregressed into pneumonia and now on antibiotics and an inhaler 'til this clears up.

Next time I get bronchitis I'll tie a few flies and scan some old Outdoor Lifes.

Thanks DaveTheRocketGuy and cerberus1.

Lest y'all think this is some kind of "old guy" thing, the two most severe bouts I've had with bronchitis / pneumonia were when I was 22 and 34. I don't smoke, never have. The worst bout was when I was 34. I was on a really tight deadline for some development for a software project. I worked my way straght into the emergency room, with something like 106 fever. When I realized that I could have died for a pointless project that was ultimately going to go no where (but paid REALLY WELL), I quit my job and found a different gig. The pay doesn't matter if you're dead.

The exit interview was great, by the way:

Q: "Why are you quitting?"

A: "I almost died"

Q: "Why didn't you tell us?!?"

A: "I did tell you - you told me there was a deadline, and apparently I almost took that literally!"

Q: "Oh. Well, we're going to try to manage workloads better in the future..."

A: "Adios My Friends"

I don't much sweat minor things like colds or mild flu's. But don't mess around with bronchitis.