Noticed a typo on the FAQ page...

Mark 42

Yes, I do suffer from OCD...

On the FAQ I saw:

So if I have a GPS unit, someone can track where I am (and where I'm going)?

Shouldn't the word "can" be before "someone"?

(sorry if this seems nit-picky... I'm hoping to just be helpful is all)

Hukt un fonix werkt fer mee

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Shouldn't the word "can" be before "someone"?

Actually, it would depend upon the inflection used. I believe the interrogative was written to sound colloquial, in which case it was written correctly, imo.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

I believe the interrogative was written to sound colloquial, in which case it was written correctly, imo.

Perhaps it would be more fitting to say that it was written "appropriately" rather than that it was written "correctly". icon_biggrin.gif

(Incidentally, if you have noted that the sentence-ending period is not within the quotes, do not bother noting that aloud. Rather, I refer you to the Jargon File, Chapter 5. Hacker Writing Style. The relevant portion begins with the second paragraph and ends with the paragraph referring to Hart's Rules and the Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors.)

((Even more incidentally, it would seem that special-casing short or "irrelevant" words in titles for non-capitalization is another kludge of classic language. Citing Oxford above as the Oxford Dictionary For Writers And Editors would seem much more logical to the rigid, logical programmer's mind.))

(((Most incidentally, the act of using multiple parentheses to delineate ever more parenthetical thoughts, even when not nested, is distinctly programmese and will not likely enter either Hart's or Oxford within the near or moderately near future.)))

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System