Cool DIY Mocro

Nice idea, but I'm not sure why he keeps "correcting" himself and calling it a nano container. Biggest nano I've ever seen.

Well, that's Sonny from the Podcacher Geocaching Podcast with a listener submitted idea. He's not a big micro guy, so maybe it's a nano to him. :lol: I didn't know he made videos for YouTube, but I've never looked for them either. I just watch Sven's Geocache spoilers videos. OK, no I don't. :o

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Nice idea, but I'm not sure why he keeps "correcting" himself and calling it a nano container. Biggest nano I've ever seen.

I'd even question that its a micro. It looks as though you could fit geocoins and other small items in there.

Technically small, morally micro? I couldn't find a bottle to measure but I think the smaller size geocoins would fit and know the micro geocoins would.

I'd even question that its a micro. It looks as though you could fit geocoins and other small items in there.

Technically small, morally micro? I couldn't find a bottle to measure but I think the smaller size geocoins would fit and know the micro geocoins would.

Certainly not a nano, that much is certain. I will admit that it is a borderline micro/small, but I would probably rate it as a small.

I was looking through the forums and my son looked over my shoulder, saw the video and asked "what's that?" so I clicked on it. After it was through he said, "I want to make some of those". Hoping to increase some interest from him about going goecaching I found a couple of plastic half gallon "snapple" bottles. I went to the basement and was up five minutes later with the cut and sanded pieces gave them to him. I'm going to the hardware store anyway today so I'll pick up some Gorilla Glue (though I also have a solder iron). After giving the pieces to my son he said, "how come they don't smell fruity?". Apparently he thought the fruity smell was one of the best features of the container.

Small? I've always heard that described as the size of a sandwich box. Just today I found a pill bottle the size of a 35mm film can. I almost didn't look there because it was rated a small. Pretty soon someone is going to call a 30 cal ammo can a 'large'. LOL

Sandwich box is only an example. The range for a small container is for a volume between 100 ml and 1 liter.

I found a bottle that is similar enough to a gatorade bottle that the dimensions should be the same or close enough for me anyway. The diameter is 1 3/8 inches so only micro geocoins would fit. The total volume figured to 38.5 ml so it would be a micro according to the current size descriptions. It seems there are a LOT of people around here that don't realize how big 100 ml is since most of the pill bottles and 1 liter preforms we find are listed as small and they aren't even close.

Edit: clarification in case soma y'all don't speak hillbilly

Edited by NicknPapa

Small? I've always heard that described as the size of a sandwich box. Just today I found a pill bottle the size of a 35mm film can. I almost didn't look there because it was rated a small. Pretty soon someone is going to call a 30 cal ammo can a 'large'. LOL

Here they consider a 3x3 gladware container a regular.

Well maybe he lives in a area where mostly everything is regulars.

It's a regional thing. Having cached in a number of states. I've found ammo cans listed as both regular and small. I've found 35 film cans listed as both small and micro. It all seems to depend mostly on where I am caching.

Also there is no official nano size designation. Micro is the smallest size that can listed. So there tends be to a lot of grey area between micro and nano from place to place.

It's a regional thing. Having cached in a number of states. I've found ammo cans listed as both regular and small. I've found 35 film cans listed as both small and micro. It all seems to depend mostly on where I am caching.

Also there is no official nano size designation. Micro is the smallest size that can listed. So there tends be to a lot of grey area between micro and nano from place to place.

Regional, yes. And this discussion has certainly taken a turn. :o

You know what I see a lot? And this is throughout the "Mid-Atlantic" region, as defined by the regional forum here. Standard regtangular 1.3 Litre Lock-n-Lock's listed as a small, when the definition says a regular is 1.0 Litre's and greater. Other than my own listings, I don't know if I've ever seen one around here listed as a regular.

This (and the cache submission form size dropdown, as well) is what I am basing the size on when I say that it looks like it would hold a regular geocoin:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75

6.2. Containers Explained

Sizes

1. micro: e.g. 35mm film canister or smaller
  2. small: Holds only a small logbook and small items.
  3. regular: e.g. ammo box
  4. large: e.g. 5-gallon bucket (about 20 liters)
  5. other: See the cache description.

This (and the cache submission form size dropdown, as well) is what I am basing the size on when I say that it looks like it would hold a regular geocoin:

Sizes

That is how everyone in my area lists them. Although I've seen maybe one listing saying their 35mm as a small. I'd just hope however it is listed if there is doubts the placer will say what to sort of look for.

Sizes

It would help if the same definition were used across the board. I used the one in Geocaching 101 /Finding Geocaches/What does a geocache look like?

Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

Other - See the cache description for information.

I prefer this one because it is quite a bit less vague. Based on this, the container in question is a micro.

Edited by NicknPapa

official nano size designation is known as "other"

That wasn't the direction that I was going with my comment. Maybe I should have phrased it like this. There isn't an official volume measurement for nano sized caches.

I've seen nano caches listed as both Mirco size and Other size. Micro works because after all a nano cache is less than 100ml. Other works as long as you say in the description that the cache in nano in sized. But we still have a large grey area when it comes to the measurable size of the volume cache. Where does the nano size designation begin and micro end? 90ml? 50ml? 10ml? 1ml?

As I see it now Nano has no real size meaning other than smaller than Micro which isn't as specific as the other size designations and allows a room for a wide range of interpretation especially between regions.

Unless you can site were it "officially" appears in the guidelines, I'm going to have to disagree. It's generally accepted by some and generally a source of frustration for others to list really tiny micros as "other".

These were shown in the best container thread a while back but they used soda pop bottles instead. I've already found about 20 of them this winter so they do work well and you can make a lot of them pretty quickly. The ones around here, they use pepsi tops because they are already grey and are easy guardrail hides.

Edited by A & J Tooling
Where does the nano size designation begin and micro end?
According to the Geocaching 101 page (the "What does a geocache look like?" section): "Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet."

(Emphasis added by me.)

Where does the nano size designation begin and micro end?
According to the Geocaching 101 page (the "What does a geocache look like?" section): "Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet."

(Emphasis added by me.)

Thanks for the info. I haven't been able to enjoy the hobby for a couple of years. It is good to see changes like this. Unfortunately it is a recent change so it'll take a while for the changes to propagate out thru the community.