Something New to the Game? Cache Buddies

sparc77

Here in Georgia, we have been tossing an idea around and are beginning to get some good responses within our state. So we thought it would be a good idea to put it out on the floor and see what the rest of the world thinks about it.

A Cache Buddy is a volunteer who lives near a cache or cluster of caches (usually difficult ones but not necessarily). This person has been to the caches and know the locations and how to find them. The purpose of a Cache Buddy is to offer a degree of support for fellow cachers who may experience difficulties such as automobile troubles, getting lost, injury, etc.

Our trial grounds are the Rich Mountain Wilderness Area. This is a cluster of about 6 caches with difficulty 3.5+. There is a jeep trail that goes across the mountain that has claimed numerous axles and differentials (I have even seen a busted gearbox). In addition, there have been reports of hikers who have experienced health problems and sadly enough even a fatality due to heart failure.

A person who is going to attempt a difficult cache solo might feel more at ease if they knew that there was a Cache Buddy that they could contact before hand and arrange some sort of verification. This could simply be to have the Buddy drive by the parking area and check to see that the cacher's car has departed before sunset or even a phone number for someone to call if they get into trouble (assuming they can place a call) The Buddy would also be a person who (if necessary) could call the ranger station or strike out and lead a rescue party (it helps to have a guide who knows where the hiker was going and how to find it). And of course the Buddy may simply just be needed to give a dead car battery a jump on a cold, rainy evening.

So how do we identify a Cache Buddy? At present we simply mention them in the text--see Solaros Cache--but in the future, we hope to be able to put an icon next to the Buddy's log entry (maybe a little flag or something) to identify them as a Cache Buddy. Then someone who is planning to visit the cache can shoot them an email through the system and the Buddy and cacher can correspond to arrange whatever support the cacher would like.

This program is a voluntary one, and the Cache Buddy is not obligated to drop everything and wait by the phone for a call for help (unless he agrees to do so), but will work with the cache hunter to agree on what the hunter needs the Buddy to do and what the Buddy will be able to do.

There is, of course a point of honor in that if a Buddy agrees to do something, he/she should make every attempt to follow through. Likewise, if a cacher asks a Buddy for help (say to let him park his car at one end of the trail and get a lift to the other end) then the cacher should not take such aid for granted and if he should change his plans, should let the Buddy know immediately.

We think this has the potential to be a good step forward to Geocaching, and would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

The last paragraph of the text of this cache of mine is an example of what sparc77 is talking about:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10433

I'm suspect there are other cases of caches in difficult terrain where the cache hider encourages seekers to let him know in advance when they're going for it.

What would be great (in my opinion) is if more did this for safety's sake, and if possibly a page icon could be added when appropriate that would lead to an e-mail link to the "cache buddy".

~erik~

Reminds me of the Neigborhood Watch program. People who are open to helping put a sign in their window to let children or people in trouble know that they can go there to use the phone or get assistance.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I'm betting there are some who would never consider taking advantage of this kind of a program, because a "Couldn't Find" is something they'd be humiliated to admit to...and a Cache Buddy would also be a 'witness' if it turned out they didn't find the cache.

But, with such a program, anyone who wanted to use it, could; and those who didn't, wouldn't have to...so it sounds like a good idea to me. icon_smile.gif (On the other hand, most of us know somebody we could call if we needed some support like this, so a formal program might not be necessary for many.)

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I'm betting there are some who would never consider taking advantage of this kind of a program, because a "Couldn't Find" is something they'd be humiliated to admit to...and a Cache Buddy would also be a 'witness' if it turned out they didn't find the cache.

But, with such a program, anyone who wanted to use it, could; and those who didn't, wouldn't have to...so it sounds like a good idea to me. icon_smile.gif (On the other hand, most of us know somebody we could call if we needed some support like this, so a formal program might not be necessary for many.)

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

It's true, that for a large number of people and cachers, it really wouldn't be necessary. I know that the massive multitude of metro-caches in and around Atlanta are probably no more than 15 minutes form any number of cacher's I know, and I could just pick up my cell phone and give a call if I needed it.

This is more aimed at remote and slightly difficult caches like the ones in the Rich Mountain area. It is quite possible that after me, the next nearest cacher may be looking at a 70+ mile trip just to get here.

The cluster in this wilderness area is a total of 6 caches that can only be reached by foot, horse, 4-wheeler, or a very SERIOUS 4-wheel drive truck, (no average 4-wheel drive vehicle will survive). The hike from one end to the other is about 10-12 miles (if you include the rocky mt caches too) and part of that trail is restricted to foot traffic only.

The premis of this idea, in addition to safety and rescue, was also one of assistance. Some folks may not be interested in hiking all the way across, then have to turn around and hike back to thier car. Instead, they could drop thier car off to the endpoint and the buddy could give them a lift to the starting point.

As for the witness concept...I hadn't even thought of that. I would encourage a cacher to try at least twice, perhaps with extra clues and hints from previous visitors. I might be willing to help someone find a cache if they at least gave it a good hard try on thier own once or twice.

So it is a good point that near the urban areas, the buddy system isn't really too necessary, but in the remote rural locations, it could be a great tool for helping out and safety.

Just yesterday, I almost needed a my buddy (in this case it was my wife). I was bushwacking up Sugarloaf Mt in Tennessee with a metal container in my backpack (hmmm now what could that be all about?) and my dog, walking iun front of me, caused a low limb to swat me in the chest and sent me tumbling down a steep incline. It could have been very ugly had a tree trunk stopped me after about 10 feet. I was lucky. And just imagine my irritation as I watched my favorite walking stick slide down down down and out of sight. I found it on the way back down, thanks to the track display on my garmin.

This support network could also help verify if a cache is plundered.

Schedules don't always allow for same day service by the cache placer.

If you live down the street and have time to pop over, it could be helpful.

RedwoodRed could look after those dropped off caches in her area, for instance. icon_biggrin.gif

This support network could also help verify if a cache is plundered.

Schedules don't always allow for same day service by the cache placer.

If you live down the street and have time to pop over, it could be helpful.

RedwoodRed could look after those dropped off caches in her area, for instance. icon_biggrin.gif