Family Membership

Grandad Brian

In the area where I live, a lot of our caches have been victims of "muggling" lately, and in response, many cache hiders have started making their caches "Premium Members Only". I'm a premium member and have been for many years. My favorite caching excursion is to get a few grandkids and spend a day hunting for nearby geocaches. The trouble is, my grandkids can't log the "Members Only" caches, so we skip them. It would be nice if I could include my grandkids in my membership. I can't see paying for a premium for each of them. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for considering...

Brian

Hey Granddad Brian,

Your grand kids can log PMO caches on there accounts. They won't be able to view the coordinates on the PMO pages, but there most certainly able to log the finds.

Here's an old lengthy thread about it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285413&st=0&p=4905121&hl=basic%20member%20logging%20premium%20cache&fromsearch=1entry4905121

While I certainly agree with the idea of a Family or Group Membership, until that happens, Groundspeak has left a "back door" open to allow regular members to log PMO caches.

While there are several ways to go about using this backdoor, the easiest in my opinion is this page. Just enter the GC Code in the box, and click the "log" button.

I too would love to see a family membership.

I would be willing to pay extra for a family membership plan.

How much extra would be all dependant on what all comes with a family membership plan.

How many Cacher names would be allowed, how many PQ's could be downloaded & shared. Etc...

TGC

P.S. For us... It ISN'T about logging premium caches. For our family, its about downloading the PQ's we create to our iOS apps. Currently (Because I am premium) I can download my PQ's to my iOS phone/iPAD, but my wife CAN NOT...

So get another premium? It isn't worth THAT much extra ($30) for the year so she can download, & log premium caches.

Our main desire from a family membership, would be SHARING PQ's! The other problem is, We would have to create the SAME PQ twice... and it would have to RUN TWICE... Thereby taking TWICE as much server time to run the same pq twice, just so she can download the PQ to her iOS device, and I can download it to my iOS Device (Both of use the geocaching.com app)

In this case... Maybe have a Family Membership for 4 Cacher names... All for say $89 for the year. This would allow us to say download 15 PQ's per day, with each of those 15 PQ's SHAREABLE on all of our "Smartphone"/Tablets geocaching.com app & API. Plus allow all 4 cacher names to have all the other premium features as well.

As for another suggestion I made... for a premium plus account. One could even make that a family account as well.

TGC

Edited by texasgrillchef

Any member can log premium caches by going to www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GC1234

Make sure to enter the real GC Code Though.

You can also log a Premium cache by going to log cache on a premium account and copy the url and paste it in to the browser when you are in your account.

Edited by fitbobcat

While I certainly agree with the idea of a Family or Group Membership, until that happens, Groundspeak has left a "back door" open to allow regular members to log PMO caches.

While there are several ways to go about using this backdoor, the easiest in my opinion is this page. Just enter the GC Code in the box, and click the "log" button.

So in other words gc.com likes the idea but leaves it to the forums for people to know to ask for it in the first place And leave it to the "informed" forum people to explain it.

Ya know, the whole 'Family Membership' concept is only tangentially connected to the PMO 'backdoor', as it's called.

If I weren't a PM, I would still have the same need to log a PMO cache if I happened across one or was caching with a PM friend.

So, don't tie the two together. 'Family Memberships' doesn't really address the issue.

...Bill

So in other words gc.com likes the idea but leaves it to the forums for people to know to ask for it in the first place And leave it to the "informed" forum people to explain it.

It's part of the 'Secret Society'.

SHHH! :ph34r:

It's part of the 'Secret Society'.

SHHH! :ph34r:

You know, gc.com said it was a good idea. It just never happened.

Too bad really, considering happy caching and all.