Ideas for cool Swag

TeamTwoStar

Ha. So we have recently gotten into geocaching.

Some of the swag is pretty pathetic. I think half a walnut shell, bottle cap and deflated balloon tops our list. Lol

Granted, yes, we get by now that the loot is really not where the rewards are in this activity...but the journey getting to the loot! "insert witty cliche here"

But we wanted to step our game up a bit..

So we were wondering what kinds of inexpensive loot do people Like to find??

Do people actually like those pathtags or is that a waste of money.

We have been handing out cool bumper stickers that say "I went geocaching and all i got was this sticker" Rofl :)

Thanks!

In the area near my house someone has gone around and put old Atari 2600 games in some of the caches. Kinda weird opening the cache and seeing those things from my childhood. And then seeing my kids go, "WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT?!"

Not really an item I'd want to trade though. It is way cool but not sure what I could replace it with that is equal or greater in value and coolness.

-Dave

Most of the swag in my geocaching bag are kids meals toys. When my girls get the same item several times they know not to open it. We keep the toys in their bags. Another place we get items is from Target in the $1 isle at the the front of the store. My girls like the rings, keychains, stamps, puzzles, etc. Have fun!

Personally, I like to trade coins :) silver dollars, wheat pennies, foreign currency, things like that. Nothing too valuable but yet interesting.

That's my favorite too.

I go to the local coin shop where they have bins full of foreign coins that they sell by the pound. These fit my 3 criteria: that they be cheap, interesting, and fit into small containers.

I once went metal detecting and found what looked like a $100 Mexican gold coin. I found out later they are worth about 20-cents each. I got a bunch of them the last visit to the coin shop, and I cleaned them up. Let someone ELSE get the cheap (but temporary) thrill of thinking they hit the jackpot!

We don't often take swag from caches, but we like to leave things that kids would like to find, since we know how much our grandkids love to find "prizes" in caches. We often order inexpensive toys, etc. from Oriental Trading's website. I've also found lots of tiny swag items in our local Michael's: litle rubber farm animals, pretty beads and buttons, small wooden pieces painted to look like animals or butterflies, etc. I sometimes order magnetic bookmarks from an on-line store; these are flat and can be put into a tiny zip-loc bag to protect them from moisture, and they fit into small caches. Our "signature" swag things are rubber duckies, in many different styles; we like to leave these in larger caches, and local cachers tell me they collect them!

I like to pick up a handful of .99 cent first aid kits for swag items, or foreign coins of some sort or similar, as mentioned earlier. I get these real cheap from a local coin dealer. And as always, I also have tons of the typical Kid toys or collectibles, I try to leave a little something for the adults as well as the kids. Even if I don't take anything, or if the cache is pretty much empty or has just junk, I always try to top it off, especially with kid friendly items. Nothing beats the look on my sons face when the container is loaded up with treasure.

Stay safe,

Jerry & Graeme,

jdw121

We don't often take swag from caches, but we like to leave things that kids would like to find, since we know how much our grandkids love to find "prizes" in caches. We often order inexpensive toys, etc. from Oriental Trading's website. I've also found lots of tiny swag items in our local Michael's: litle rubber farm animals, pretty beads and buttons, small wooden pieces painted to look like animals or butterflies, etc. I sometimes order magnetic bookmarks from an on-line store; these are flat and can be put into a tiny zip-loc bag to protect them from moisture, and they fit into small caches. Our "signature" swag things are rubber duckies, in many different styles; we like to leave these in larger caches, and local cachers tell me they collect them!

We also leave rubber duckies from Oriental Traders. In fact after we started leaving the rubber ducks, we needed a group name for an event, so my husband, daughter, granddaughter and I became "The Lucky Ducks." Now in addition to the rubber ducks we leave keychains. A cacher found one and made it into a trackable and adopted it over to me.

1b19b841-73fd-4fb9-b52d-25ad33f943d9.jpg

in the last year or so i've been dropping GC related 1" pins. the Quad logo and more recently the regular cache symbol. relatively cheap to procure from a local vender. my latest batch of swag was a bag of gold painted pennies. spray paint has come a long way and im sure its a nifty surprise to find shiny coins.