carving cord. in tree stump

krnlsndrs07

The rule of thumb that I have heard reviewers use is this: if you were to remove the cache, will there be anything remaining that wasn't there when you hid the cache. Coordinates carved into a tree stump would remain. Personally, I take this things as circumstantial... to me, it would depend on the stump, where it was, how old it was, etc. But that's why I would not make a good reviewer. I'd advise you to find another way.

I think it's unlikely to be published, but if it were to be published at all it would almost assuredly only be with prior permission / discussion with your local reviewer. If you did the carving first and then it was discovered after submission / publication, your cache would likely be archived right quick and it might even cost you some relationship points with your reviewer. If you contact him/her ahead of time and try to figure out if there is a way to make something like this work*, that will be the better way to go.

*I can't think of a way carving the coordinates into a stump would ever work and pass review, but then, I am neither a reviewer nor particularly clever, so I can't rule it out

From the Guidelines:

Geocache placements do not deface or destroy public or private property. Geocaches are placed so that the surrounding environment is safe from both intentional or unintentional harm. Keep both natural and human-made objects safe. No object or property may be altered to provide a hiding place, clue, or means of logging a find.

As an alternative, you could carve the coordinates into your own stump (cut off at ground level, of course). Then you could leave your own stump with the coordinates among the existing stumps.

I've seen this approach used often. The cache owner buys/makes something that ends up looking like it has always been there.

Its defacing and against the guideline. If its your tree, you can do it.

I had see one cacher use those medal punch stamp that they use in the welding field. Its not carving, but making a mark.

I think he is talking about tree tags. You can get a metal punch kit or an engraving tool to mark the metal tag. Either way this will become a physical stage so it must be .1 away from any other cache.

Another reason it's not a good idea besides defacing it is what happens if you have to move the cache and update the coords? Deeper cuts!

As an alternative, you could carve the coordinates into your own stump (cut off at ground level, of course). Then you could leave your own stump with the coordinates among the existing stumps.

I've seen this approach used often. The cache owner buys/makes something that ends up looking like it has always been there.

This is good. You may also specially prepare the tree stump so it lasts longer.

From the Guidelines:

Geocache placements do not deface or destroy public or private property. Geocaches are placed so that the surrounding environment is safe from both intentional or unintentional harm. Keep both natural and human-made objects safe. No object or property may be altered to provide a hiding place, clue, or means of logging a find.

But of course if Groundspeak chooses to ignore their own guidelines in one of their geocaching videos then defacing something like a wooden bridge is ok.

i had the idea of making a multi cache around the park next door. they cut down a lot of trees and are leaving the stumps. so i thought i could carve the coordinates on a stump or two. my question is whether or not it would make requirements or not.

You could also get a "cap"; a wood disk cut from a similar sized tree that you own. Carve your numbers on the cap and cleverly camo it over one of the natural stunps. When hide is archived, just carry the cap away and you have met the guidelines.

I wouldn't have any problem carving coords into a dead stump- it's a dead stump. Now if it were a live tree- grrr, Don't do that to a live tree or somebody's fence or park bench -all no no's. Bad bad bad. Of course I'd carefully consider getting permission for a stump on private property and be sure it didn't effect the natural beauty of the area.

thats a good idea, they left a lot of peices of the tress around too for some odd reason.... and to address the not lasting very long i could always burn it into the wood i would be using with the multiple wood burners i got.

If the stump were dead, well it would at least be making use of it. I suppose.

I came across a cache the other day, where it was hidden in a tube in a live tree yet someone had take the time to bore a hole with a drill into the tree to hide the tube. I was pretty smoked over that.

I came across a cache the other day, where it was hidden in a tube in a live tree yet someone had take the time to bore a hole with a drill into the tree to hide the tube. I was pretty smoked over that.

I hope you reported the cache, via a "Needs Archived" log, as a violation of the guidelines. :ph34r:

Alternatively, you could plant a tree at the location and wait 70 years than cut it down and have a perfect tree stump in the ground you can use.

Alternatively, you could plant a tree at the location and wait 70 years than cut it down and have a perfect tree stump in the ground you can use.

Or plant a cottonwood tree and in a few year you will have a nice tree stump.

I see a few of those around here and they are always on bush tree in the ditch. Trees that will be cut down by the road maintenance crew. I wont report on those, but if its in a huge nice tree in a park, yes I would.