Android App C:GEO

ScoutDadNC

So is the Geocaching.com not being supported through C:GEO anymore. Is there another app I need to be using.

You may be using the original c:geo, which has been abandoned by it's author. Another group took over the development and renamed it "c:geo opensource" and is actively supporting it.

Edit to add that the opensource version is a separate install from the Android Market.

Edited by Lil Devil
So is the Geocaching.com not being supported through C:GEO anymore. Is there another app I need to be using.

You may be using the original c:geo, which has been abandoned by it's author. Another group took over the development and renamed it "c:geo opensource" and is actively supporting it.

Edit to add that the opensource version is a separate install from the Android Market.

Exactly what I said...

I think it was against the TOU to use this "app." Not 100% sure, so I'll leave it there......
As far as I know it still is.
Yep: "You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission."

Yep "You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission."

This is one of those myths that just won't die.

The term "site scraping" is like so 2002. Did you ever hear of a site like Twitter, with an open API, accuse anyone of "site scraping"? OK, I'm outta here, like real quick. :ph34r:

Sure they can, they can expect everything they want.

I'm just saying that people will keep using c:geo, because it's cheaper and better.

And you can't control wich app people will use...

The next thing is: I can't get the official Groundspeak app, because you need a credit card to buy it, and I don't have one...so what am I supposed to do? :huh:

I'm just saying that people will keep using c:geo, because it's cheaper and better.

The next thing is: I can't get the official Groundspeak app, because you need a credit card to buy it, and I don't have one...so what am I supposed to do? :huh:

It's easy. Just drive to the grocery store and buy a $25.00 prepaid visa card (usually the lowest amount you can find) for $27.50 + tax. Then you can buy the $5 app. And now you have an extra $20 left over for your annual dues.

Easy peesy...(sarcasm)

It's easy. Just drive to the grocery store and buy a $25.00 prepaid visa card (usually the lowest amount you can find) for $27.50 + tax. Then you can buy the $5 app. And now you have an extra $20 left over for your annual dues.

Easy peesy...(sarcasm)

I was going to suggest that too, I've bought my Daughter a few of those. However, I didn't post it, as I know O.G. is from Germany. Who knows what they have over there.

And the Official App is $9.99. One of, if not the most expensive out there. But I'm not a Droid person, I roll with Windows Phone. Because someone has to. :blink:

Easy peesy...(sarcasm)

I was going to suggest that too, I've bought my Daughter a few of those. However, I didn't post it, as I know O.G. is from Germany. Who knows what they have over there.

And the Official App is $9.99. One of, if not the most expensive smartphone apps out there. But I'm not a Droid person, (c:geo is Droid only) I roll with Windows Phone. Because someone has to. :blink:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Actually you (Groundspeak) can. If using an app violates the TOU they can do the following:

"Groundspeak reserves the right to suspend or revoke, in its sole discretion, the license hereunder and to prevent You from accessing all or any portion of the Site with or without notice or reason and without liability on the part of Groundspeak."

So is the Geocaching.com not being supported through C:GEO anymore. Is there another app I need to be using. It just seems to take a little while for the c:geo to update

Try NeonGeo which legitimately uses the Geocaching Live API. Half the price of the "official" app and many people have converted from C:geo stating that they like NeonGeo better. Plus there is a very active forum for questions/suggestions and generally the app has updates and added features around every couple weeks (sometimes faster).

Does the neongeo have live maps? That's the main thing the Groundspeak app is missing is live maps.

What is the point of having a mobile phone app without live maps???

Groundspeak needs to borrow someone's phone with c:geo on it to see the live maps and then they'll understand why people complain about their app.

Just for the record I own Groundspeak's app.

Just for the record, I didn't say that I use c:geo.

My ideal app will have offline maps..... maps that are stored on it, and you have the caches loaded from PQs.

I have a 3g card in my tablet, but that relies on me being in cellphone coverage, and quite oftent hats not the case....

I've used the official app, c:geo and now I use neongeo which I prefer. Neongeo has offline maps which was one of the main selling points for me.

Groundspeak already has my money...

If they'd delete my account for using c:geo, then that would be just sad and I would be done with

GC forever. :(

Oh, and btw, as far as I know we don't have these prepaid credit cards here...and even if so, I'd have to go through additional trouble to buy!!! an app I don't even want.

Edited by Otis.Gore

I'll definitely give neongeo a go then. What maps does it use and how does it store them?

The current supported maps are shown in the Wiki HERE. Although as long as the format of the tiles is the same, any server can be used. These are just ones that have been confirmed to work. It does not work with vector-type map servers.

As you scroll around on the map, the downloaded tiles are stored in a local database. There is also a "Map Wizard" that will automatically go out and download the tiles around the caches in your database. A third way is to use a 3rd party app (MOBAC) to generate an offline database and then move it to your phone.

Swing by the forum if you run into questions as there are people there much more familiar with the off-line maps than myself.

ETA: By the way, the NeonGeo developer recently added a free 30 day trial if you want to try it out.

Edited by TheBlizzles

First Off I have paid for the GS app. I do use c:geo though. I know the problem the original poster is complaining about as I have the same problem. With this last map change update there is no longer the auto upload on the map. What you have to do is go to nearby and let that load. It will give you 20 caches. If you want more of an area hit 'More" at the bottom to load up 20 more and you can do that at least a couple of times. Then hit map. It will show them like it used to for that area. I hate that as I liked the auto map update as you were moving but it is better then nothing. We are taking a vacation to Hawaii so this is the worst time for this to happen but I think I can download all the caches at the island and use it like I used to.

-WarNinjas

The current supported maps are shown in the Wiki HERE. Although as long as the format of the tiles is the same, any server can be used. These are just ones that have been confirmed to work. It does not work with vector-type map servers.

This is "splitting hairs," but I should probably clarify this for NeonGeo's sake... Those are not a list of "supported" servers, but rather, a list of map tile sources that individuals have found work with NeonGeo by manually entering them into NeonGeo's settings. They have been contributed to the wiki by users, and their presence on the community wiki doesn't imply that Can-O-Bits "supports" their use. I don't want us to run into the same troubles with map tile providers that Groundspeak has just gone through.

First Off I have paid for the GS app. I do use c:geo though.

I must admit that I don't exactly follow the logic here.

"I paid for the GC app so that entitles me to use a completely separate app that violates the TOS I agreed to when I signed up for the site and bogs down the GC servers for everyone else. Not only that, but I feel entitled to complain when GC doesn't cater their services to my use of the app that violates the TOS."

Entitled much?

We are taking a vacation to Hawaii so this is the worst time for this to happen but I think I can download all the caches at the island and use it like I used to.

-WarNinjas

If you will be using a car GPS, you can run a PQ, and load into your car GPS (I've done it with a Garmin and TomTom). That way as you are driving around, you can see the caches wihtout using c:geo, the GS app, or your hiking reciever.