Editing Log entries

The Artful Dodger

Jeremy

Do you have the request to edit Log entries up there in your priority list? This would obviously save on the redundant Watch List notifications that seem to filter through due to cachers deleting and reentering their Logs?

Thanks

9929_700.jpg

[This message was edited by The Artful Dodger on March 12, 2002 at 01:11 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Done! I burned the twilight oil on this one, so you better be satisfied...

I'll see if I can duplicate UBB code there as well. And I still have to set up Travel Bug edits (though that one will be complicated)

Jeremy

Jeremy, you are

AWESOME!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

25021_1200.gif

quote:

Done! I burned the twilight oil on this one, so you better be satisfied...

I'll see if I can duplicate UBB code there as well. And I still have to set up Travel Bug edits (though that one will be complicated)

Jeremy

Jeremy, you are

AWESOME!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

25021_1200.gif

Just noticed this feature. Got a couple of problems with it.

1. Editing the log doesn't send any email notification to the owner. I think that's bad. Yeah, it's extra notifications, potentially.

2. T-storm will report some problems with the dates. But it looks like the date defaults back to today, which is bad if you're editing an older log.

3. There's no note that says "Edited by cacher on date". Maybe that should happen anytime a note is modified on a date after it was posted?

4. The [Edit] option appears on all logs for a cache owner, but doesn't work properly. It creates a new entry by the owner and gets confused about some properties (such as encryption). I imagine that feature should be removed for now. I'm not sure whether it should be implemented correctly either, unless a note appears "Edited by cacheowner on date".

Oh, Jeremy, how you will hate me... it's buggy and I possibly may not like the way it works.

I just tested this with a cache I own. It's one you transferred to me after the owner went AWOL. I had found it previous to that date. I tried to edit Brokenwing's log from that find. It provides me a completely blank (except for date field with TODAY'S date) log! Nothing to edit unless I cut and paste! I didn't try the edit because I didn't want to mess up a found log with pics attached. Then I tried to edit my own note log on the same cache. For my logs, the text DOES show up and I can change it. However, the log I chose to work with had a 12/10/2001 date. I remembered to change it on the edit page, but I failed to get the year right and it was saved with a 12/10/2002 date. I editted again to try to fix it. Every time I try to use a 2001 date, it fails, telling me that I entered an invalid future date!! I picked a different note I previously posted on the same cache. It will not let me set a 2001 date.

Sorry for the bad news, but THANKS for the effort to give us editable logs!!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Well, I just used this feature... and it was great. I had decided to change a "found" log to a "note" on a locationless cache... since I really don't think it should count as a find. Anyway, I went in to edit, saw the radio buttons (COOL!), changed my log to a "note", and added a line at the bottom of my log. The default date stayed the original date of the log.

Thank you Jeremy. My Jeremy Irish shrine will be erected soon.

Jamie

I just noticed that there is no default selected for the Found it!/Couldn't find it!/Post a Note radio buttons. Perfect. I think we're as close to solving the accidental Found it logs as can be expected.

Thank you, Jeremy--once again.

Jamie

I had a spelling error on one of my recent posts that was driving me crazy. I didn't want to delete and repost so I griped and left it. Just now went back and made the correction. No problems. This is a great new feature and I appreciate your efforts.

geosign.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

1. Editing the log doesn't send any email notification to the owner. I think that's bad. Yeah, it's extra notifications, potentially.

Those on the watch list were getting inundated by people trying HTML, but not liking the results. I once got 12 notifications for one person's find on a cache. He wanted it "just right".

But I see your point about the cache owner getting notifications. What about a compromise? When a log is edited cache owners get notification, but watch list people do not.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

Oh, Jeremy, how you will hate me... it's buggy and I possibly may not like the way it works.

Ah. You can't edit other people's logs, even if you *are* the cache owner. It does show up as an option for cache owners, when it shouldn't. I'll fix that.

As for dates, I thought I fixed it. You must've been mucking around with it when I was fixing the bugs I thought I fixed before making it live. I'll check, just in case.

Jeremy

1. The edit link has been removed for cache owners, so the confusion should go away.

2. I appended an edit date to the log in case it is changed.

Regarding notifications, I believe it is best to notify the cache owner of all edits on his/her page. Do you agree?

Jeremy

The edit option works great! I was able to change a Not Found to a Found today. The edit feature makes it easy to keep your previous comments, add some more, and change the icon from a frowner to a smiler. This is a great day for Geocaching!!! icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

The edit option works great! I was able to change a Not Found to a Found today. The edit feature makes it easy to keep your previous comments, add some more, and change the icon from a frowner to a smiler. This is a great day for Geocaching!!! icon_biggrin.gif

unclerojelio

quote:

Regarding notifications, I believe it is best to notify the cache owner of all edits on his/her page. Do you agree? Jeremy

On my watch list is GC2760.

Like others with caches on their watch list, I get every revision of every message.

One such revision was from a cacher who wrote:

"Also, if you read some of Choberiba's other logs, he sounds like a real jerk."

All I had said was that this wasn't an easy find.

"It took me over a half hour to find it when I looked, and I'd found at least a couple dozen caches by that point. I'd be *REALLY* surprised if that one was gone."

I admittedly found his comments to be quite amusing and used it as a sig in the forums for awhile. Mostly because I don't get where I've been a jerk in any cache logs. I'm usually uncharacteristically upbeat and positive since I want people to enjoy the hobby.

Anyway, my point is that I would have missed the comment entirely if not for the distribution of every revision. Though I admittedly think it might be more effective if only the last edit for XX minutes were to be emailed to the watch list.

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

I notice that a person can log more than one FOUND for a cache page. As a result, his tally goes up for each FOUND.

Is there a legitimate reason to log a cache page as FOUND more than once...?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/9929_700.jpg

Sometimes they move. If it is moved to a new area, then it is free to be logged again. This is particularly true of traveling caches. Hopefully the new radio buttons on the log page will make it harder to accidentally log a find.

rdw

quote:

Most certainly... icon_biggrin.gif
  • A multistage cache with multiple logbooks and cache containers
  • A cache with optional bonus cache
  • an event-cache with multiple cache hunts involved
  • A moving cache
  • A cache that was relocated due to theft, damage, banned location
  • Some of the anywhere caches within limits

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:

Most certainly... icon_biggrin.gif
  • A multistage cache with multiple logbooks and cache containers
  • A cache with optional bonus cache
  • an event-cache with multiple cache hunts involved
  • A moving cache
  • A cache that was relocated due to theft, damage, banned location
  • Some of the anywhere caches within limits

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Though I admittedly think it might be more effective if only the last edit for XX minutes were to be emailed to the watch list.

I agree with this, but I would hate to program it. Only way I could think of is to put the notify message in a que first checking to see if there was another one for that log entry already there, if so delete the old one. Then when the que entry is older than XX minutes send it.

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

I was able to change a Not Found to a Found today.

UR,

Are you changing your not founds to founds when you finally find the thing?

Arrrg.... Not a rant, but a little peeve of mine, since I enjoy reading the not-found logs. I'd prefer you leave the not-found and add a found when you go back to find it.

Jamie

Jamie said:

quote:
Arrrg.... Not a rant, but a little peeve of mine, since I enjoy reading the not-found logs. I'd prefer you leave the not-found and _add_ a found when you go back to find it.

I was about to respond the same way you did until I read the next part of unclerojelio's post which said:

"The edit feature makes it easy to keep your previous comments, add some more, and change the icon from a frowner to a smiler."

So, I don't think that the not found experience was lost in this case.

However, I do share you concern that people will edit their logs replacing their valuable not found experience with a found.

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

Yes, I intended to mean that a cache owner should be notified of all changes. Personally, I like seeing all changes (including changes to the description!) to a cache I'm watching as well as I find the edits to be interesting, but I understand if I'm in the minority there. However, we certainly can't have someone sending a log "Found it." to the cache owner and then editing the log to say "Oops, didn't find it because your coordinates are off, you jerk." without the cache owner seeing the new change.

I guess there's going to be nothing we can do to stop this kind of behavior. Some people just can't get over the stigma of having a frowny face in their log list. I'd prefer to see the date history of the failure followed by a separate entry with success as well.

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

I guess there's going to be nothing we can do to stop this kind of behavior. Some people just can't get over the stigma of having a frowny face in their log list.

The folks that would change a not found to a found were already doing this, they were just using the delete and relog method. Or worse yet, they didn't log at all untill they found it (if they found it). Hopefully, now that the edit feature exists, these folks will be more likly to log a no find, knowing they can easily change it later.

Member:

banner-small.gif

There seems to be a small bug in the log editing feature. If the log that needs to be edited has already fallen off the cache page, there are two option by which to view more logs. The first one is 'Click here to view them' and the second is 'view them all on one page'. If you use the first option to find your log, the editing option doesn't appear. If you use the second, the editing option does appear.

unclerojelio