Knowing how many geocaches are installed

searchingforit

You could use a PC software to download all the Geocaches from the GPS into one GPX file. Usually, these software programs will tell how many waypoints you have. This will also create a backup of all the points on the unit which is an important thing to do anyway...

Good software options that come to mind are: GSAK and EasyGPS.

Edited by Arndtwe

Look what I found straight from Garmin's site:

Get into paperless geocaching with Dakota 10 by quickly downloading up to 2,000 caches, with information such as location, terrain, difficulty, hints and description — no more paper print outs and manually entered coordinates. Visit our geocaching pages for more information.

Look what I found straight from Garmin's site:

Get into paperless geocaching with Dakota 10 by quickly downloading up to 2,000 caches, with information such as location, terrain, difficulty, hints and description — no more paper print outs and manually entered coordinates. Visit our geocaching pages for more information.

In my mind this is still ambiguous.

If the Dakota 10 and the Etrex 20 are using the same technology, and I think they are, then they are treated as storage devices. If you load a cache by itself, then each gpx file is stored alone thus 2000 caches. However, if you load a pocket query of 1000 caches in the list, it is one gpx file. So maybe what were all looking for is the definition of "cache" or "what can be stored". Is it 2000 gpx files or not?

1000 waypoints/caches

why do you keep saying that

{snip}

That's waypoints. All recent paperless Garmin units (starting with the Colorado I think) treat geocaches and waypoints separately. You have a limit of X waypoints, and a limit of Y geocaches. Those two don't interfere with each other. And the Garmin website doesn't tell you what Y is for each unit, for some reason.

Edited by dfx
If you load a cache by itself, then each gpx file is stored alone thus 2000 caches. However, if you load a pocket query of 1000 caches in the list, it is one gpx file. So maybe what were all looking for is the definition of "cache" or "what can be stored". Is it 2000 gpx files or not?

It is 2,000 caches. You can have 2,000 GPX files with one cache each, or 2 GPX files with 1,000 caches each, or 1 GPX file with 2,000 caches, or any other combination.

Edit to add if you have too many caches in however many GPX files, it will load as many caches as it can, and pop up an error upon startup saying something like "too many caches."

Edited by Lil Devil

The newer Garmin units store geocaches separately from from other waypoints. In a way this like POIs which Garmin units have long been able to store separately from the limited number or waypoints.

The Dakota probably works like the Oregon as descibed here

Exactly how are waypoints/geocaches/tracks loaded onto the Garmin Oregon from a gpx file?

1. Any new or modified gpx files in [OR drive]:\Garmin\GPX are loaded by the Oregon at startup.
  2. Non-geocache waypoints are added to the Waypoint list in WhereTo?>Waypoints or Waypoint Manager
  3. Unfound Geocaches in the gpx file are added to the Unfound Geocache list in Geocaches
  4. Found Geocaches in the gpx file are added to the Found Geocache list in Geocaches>Show Found
  5. Tracks in the gpx file are added to the Track list under WhereTo?>Tracks or Track Manager
  6. Routes in the gpx file are added to the Route list under WhereTo?>Routes or Route Planner

The Oregon series (and I assume the Dakota as well) can process up to 200 GPX files.