I found more caches than you!

Roman!

Let me start off by saying I have done 8 hr+ hikes to find a couple of caches but I also plan on doing the E.T. highway with some good friends.

So, so many people post it's not about the numbers but with out the numbers I sure as heck wouldn't cache, just hike so I call bull.

So, reply to my post like this:

Numbers matter: 1

Numbers don't matter: 0

Increase your choice by 1.

If numbers don't matter then you'd actually keep caching if they got rid of all stats. (I wouldn't)

Edited by Roman!

Let me start off by saying I have done 8 hr+ hikes to find a couple of caches but I also plan on doing the E.T. highway with some good friends.

So, so many people post it's not about the numbers but with out the numbers I sure as heck wouldn't cache, just hike so I call bull.

So, reply to my post like this:

Numbers matter: 2

If numbers don't matter then you'd actually keep caching if they got rid of all stats. (I wouldn't)

IF they got rid of stats, I would probably still cache as long as I could see the smilies on the map.

When you win the GSF (Geocaching State Finals), the GUSC (Geocaching U.S. Cup), the GWT (Geocaching World Tour), or the GO (Geocaching Olympics)....

Then...and only then....will numbers matter.

No 1st place, no prize, no matter.

Hmmmmmm, you have a pretty impressive stats/profile page, maybe it's time to delete it.

Hmmmmmm, you have a pretty impressive stats/profile page, maybe it's time to delete it.

Sure.....delete away.

I have more fun with the memories of the hunts, the enjoyable scenery, the time spent with my wonderful husband.....

Numbers matter: 3

Numbers don't matter: 2

Edited by Lieblweb

I own and maintain more listings than you. :anitongue:

Let me update:

I understood you. Numbers matter, and I own and maintain more listings than you do. Without members like me there would be less geocaches, and that would mean less numbers for members that their find numers matter. My number of hides out weigh my number of finds, but they are still numbers, and numbers matter. :anitongue:

Let me update:

I understood you. Numbers matter, and I own and maintain more listings than you do. Without members like me there would be less geocaches, and that would mean less numbers for members that their find numers matter. My number of hides out weigh my number of finds, but they are still numbers, and numbers matter. :anitongue:

Good point, without your numbers my numbers, or others, could/would decrease. My point is, take pride in your numbers, be it finds, hides, terrain rating, most in a day, longest streak, they all matter.

Numbers don't matter: 2

Numbers don't matter: 3

Numbers in the context of this thread do not matter. I am head and shoulders taller than Lee aka Alamogul. I win. Doh! Fizzymagic is taller than me. :tired:

Good point, without your numbers my numbers, or others, could/would decrease. My point is, take pride in your numbers, be it finds, hides, terrain rating, most in a day, longest streak, they all matter.

I do take pride in my numbers. I just don't give one wet flip about anyone else's.

Let me update:

I do enjoy finding geocaches, but I'm not into numbers caches, but quality fun geocaches. I just enjoy more researching and listing geocaches for others to find. I have some 5/5 listings, and these are the type I enjoy most. I won't list PMO listings, but I normally keep my membership here PM because of the benefits. I also list EarthCaches, Challanges, and Waymarks, so the numbers that matter to me are the number of listings that I own. I take pride in my listings and consider myself to be a history cacher, and I'm quite pickey with my listings that they be historically accurate.

good luck this "game" can be played many ways

and the many ways makes it fun to alot of people

no matter what experiance level they are at,

there is always alot of new to see and do..

I think it is good the system log and trace and add all things you do

to a statistic system, so you can choose to use it or not.

heck I tried to see how many I could get in one day, just for the numbers..

one new way to play for me..

and I tried to see how hard and how dificult I could handle too..

now I try to see if I can get all diff combinations solved and found,

at the same time I also started to see if I can get at least one a day !

the system show this, and help me to have as much fun as possible,

all those extra things add a little extra for me,

so YES numbers do matter..

My numbers matter, but not in the over-simplified, binary way that you're expressing them in this thread. A great, massive planet of things matter much more than my numbers and at the end of the day, the numbers are pretty far down on the list.

The numbers are not my #1 goal and showing stats does not disprove this.

Edited by Castle Mischief
If numbers don't matter then you'd actually keep caching if they got rid of all stats

I would keep caching without the stats. I log finds to thank the cache owner, inform him of the state of the cache if necessary, share my experiences with other cachers and keep already found caches out of my PQs. Because each time I do it a counter on a website is incremented is of no consequence to me.

Numbers do NOT matter, quality and the type of experience we have does.

Sure I enjoy viewing my stats. I think it is a neat tool that is part of the site. But that is it. And other peoples numbers mean nothing to me one way or the other.

If there were no stats I would still Geocache.

So anyway, Like Swine has asked. What is your point here?

Edited by AneMae

My numbers matter, but not in the over-simplified, binary way that you're expressing them in this thread. A great, massive planet of things matter much more than my numbers and at the end of the day, the numbers are pretty far down on the list.

The numbers are not my #1 goal and showing stats does not disprove this.

+1

my numbers matter to me, but I dont care about anyone elses.

+1

1328171187[/url]' post='4962770']

I do take pride in my numbers. I just don't give one wet flip about anyone else's.

I think Snoogans gets credit for changing the tone on this thread. He was first with the "my numbers matter to me and I don't care about anyone else's" line of thinking. Plus, he gets style points for his creative flair on how he said it.

I AWARD TWO POINTS TO Snoogans AND DEDUCT ONE POINT FROM THE REST OF YOU WHO QUOTED A LATER POST.

Okay, what's the score now?

Maybe numbers matter, maybe they don't

Sometimes numbers can be important

Large numbers perhaps, but small numbers won't

Numbers here, numbers there

Sometimes, so it seems

There be numbers everywhere

If numbers matter to you

Get lots and make sure

That others see what you do

Thrust out your chest

Just maybe somebody, someday

Will see that you are truly the Best!

Numbing is it not

To see that you will never

be able to top the lot?

Since there are several dozen caches which I have found over the years, but refused to log, I think I would fall into the, "Numbers don't mean a whole lot to me" catagory. If I had to assign a value system to my caching it would be based on the positive memories I've accumulated, not the number of smiley faces next to my name.

Coming up on my 10th anniversary. Somewhere in the 380s for finds. Brand new cachers today match that number in a few weeks, sometimes less. I'm clearly not a numbers cacher.

If the site didn't automatically total my finds, I would still cache and I would still log accurately. It's my online diary of caching history.

So I guess it's now

Numbers matter: 4

Numbers don't matter: 13

my numbers matter to me, but I dont care about anyone elses.

+1

We have LOTECs, we have log multiple attendeds on events for the temp caches there, we have power trails, we have puzzle caches that encourage couch logging simply for solving the puzzle. Heck you even get a smiley to show up at a beer and wingfest just to tell more lies about your numbers. I know how I got mine and keep track of them. I'm not wasting time comparing that to yours.

reply to my post like this:

Numbers matter: 1

Since the playing field isn't equal comparisons of "the numbers" is meaningless. I've been geocaching since before the webpage offered a stats page. If the stats page went away I wouldn't care and it wouldn't keep me from geocaching. I do like being able to easily keep track of my personal stats but I don't see how my stats could be interesting or useful to anyone besides myself.

Numbers matter: ???

Numbers don't matter: ???

Sorry I lost count.

If the numbers matter then why can't I find your DNF count number listed anywhere on your profile page?

My numbers matter to me.

Others' numbers used to matter more. A while after I got started, I noticed that two of my caching buddies in the area had started around the same time as us, so I felt the need to try and keep up with them for a little while. I'm glad I changed my mind after a short time. One now has 2600 more finds than we do, the other has over four times as many finds as we do. I like caching and all, but I like other things, too. Like sleep. :anibad:

Now, I'm idly curious about other people's numbers from time to time, but I no longer feel the need to try and keep up or anything.

Sorry I lost count.

Numbers don't matter: 16

This is the last count I saw. There was an additional +1 and -1 since that post.

Numbers do not matter to me either. So the updated count is

Numbers matter: 5

Numbers don't matter: -18

But I'm pretty sure the post I quoted made the numbers up so whoever wants to read through everything again and get a proper count feel free to update this post. ;)

I love stats, but that doesn't mean I think a higher number is better than a lower number. I cache for the thrill of the hunt. If the numbers disappeared, I would still be caching the same way I do today. (Well, the find count numbers can disappear. I'd still like there to be numbers for use in coordinates. :anitongue:)

Numbers don't matter: 17