Speaking of GPS units ...

gajinoz

Assuming this hasn't been discussed elsewhere, if so just point me to it ....

Has anyone had any experience with the Garmin Dakota 10 ?

I'm looking for a relatively low cost, but not junk, device good for geocaching and which can accept downloads of cache info and so on. The Dakota looks like it fits the bill but I'd like to hear the experiences of anyone who owns one.

Thanks.

The Dakota 10 is a great unit. I've had mine for almost a year now. Only issue you may have with it is how small it is. If a larger screen would be preferred then have a look at one of Garmin's Oregon units.

Great, thanks. Not too concerned about the small screen but I'll certainly have a look at the Oregon selection.

Note to mods: Sorry about the wrong location, I'll try and get it right next time.

I'm looking for a relatively low cost, but not junk, device good for geocaching and which can accept downloads of cache info and so on. The Dakota looks like it fits the bill but I'd like to hear the experiences of anyone who owns one.

Thanks.

A caching buddy of mine uses a Dakota 10. It seems to do the job pretty well, it doesn't get a satellite lock quite as well as my old 60CSx did but it's perfectly useable for geocaching. It supports paperless caching but doesn't have a slot for a memory card so all your maps etc will have to fit in the memory.

I think it can store 2000 geocaches although forget the exact number.

The screen is on the small side although whether that's a strength or a weakness depends on what you're doing with it. His Dakota isn't as prominent on the handlebars of his bike as my Montana is on mine, and if you're ever in a situation where you want to quietly slip a GPS into a pocket and act nonchalently you'll do it a lot easier with a Dakota than a Montana.

I believe the Dakota 20 has a memory slot so if that's an issue for you then you might want to spend a little more for extra features. If you want a bigger screen try the Oregon. The Montana is awesome but doesn't fit into your "relatively low cost" requirement, unless your real name is Buffett or Gates and $600 is the kind of cash you find behind the sofa.

Thanks.

A caching buddy of mine uses a Dakota 10. It seems to do the job pretty well, it doesn't get a satellite lock quite as well as my old 60CSx did but it's perfectly useable for geocaching. It supports paperless caching but doesn't have a slot for a memory card so all your maps etc will have to fit in the memory.

The screen is on the small side although whether that's a strength or a weakness depends on what you're doing with it. His Dakota isn't as prominent on the handlebars of his bike as my Montana is on mine, and if you're ever in a situation where you want to quietly slip a GPS into a pocket and act nonchalently you'll do it a lot easier with a Dakota than a Montana.

I believe the Dakota 20 has a memory slot so if that's an issue for you then you might want to spend a little more for extra features. If you want a bigger screen try the Oregon. The Montana is awesome but doesn't fit into your "relatively low cost" requirement, unless your real name is Buffett or Gates and $600 is the kind of cash you find behind the sofa.

Both the 10 and 20 hold only 1000 caches. The 2 has a memory slot and an electronic compass. Great extras if you can afford them. Have you looked at the eTrex 10, 20 , and 30 yet? The 10 probably wouldn't be a good option for you. I for one like having a color screen. But the 20 is about the same price as the Dakota 10. But it has access to the new GLONASS array and can get better accuracy. Only down side INHO is its a button interface rather then a touch screen.

Thanks guys. I have had a look at the eTrex and the GLONASS feature was certainly appealing. Decisions decisions .....

Although I'll definitely get something soon I must admit I've had some good luck using my Samsung Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab with the apps c:geo and Geocompass.

Thanks.

Both the 10 and 20 hold only 1000 caches. The 2 has a memory slot and an electronic compass. Great extras if you can afford them. Have you looked at the eTrex 10, 20 , and 30 yet? The 10 probably wouldn't be a good option for you. I for one like having a color screen. But the 20 is about the same price as the Dakota 10. But it has access to the new GLONASS array and can get better accuracy. Only down side INHO is its a button interface rather then a touch screen.

The 10 can definitely hold more than 1000. My 60CSx could hold 1000 waypoints and my friend's Dakota 10 could hold more.