code I've seen used on several puzzle caches

JL_HSTRE

I've seen this used on several puzzle caches by different owners. It's very obviously some numeric code, but I have never been able to figure out what it is called. If I knew what it was called, I could use my Search Fu to learn how to solve it.

Anyone recognize what this is called and care to share?

MysteryCode.jpg

I've seen this used on several puzzle caches by different owners. It's very obviously some numeric code, but I have never been able to figure out what it is called. If I knew what it was called, I could use my Search Fu to learn how to solve it.

MysteryCode.jpg

I recognized that immediately but if I told you what it was it would give away the puzzle and how to solve it immediately. I would search a little harder.

Here's what I don't understand. A poster comes here and asks about a puzzle code and is admonished for "bad form". Yet, I've seen more than a few "found it" logs that detail how a group of cachers got together and solved a puzzle cache, or had help from a couple of other cachers who had previously solved it. Is that, too, "bad form"? I've also seen puzzle caches where the clue from the CO was "maybe later", or "after a few finds", with no following up helpful hint. Is it then wrong to ask someone other than the CO for a hint?

I explicitly avoiding mentioning what puzzle I'd seen this one; I even copied the image to Photobucket to avoid linking directly to one of the puzzles so nothing was spoiled. But now I know what Braille numbers look like which means geocaching has taught me something I didn't know and I'd say that is a good thing. Besides, I still have to decode the puzzles myself. I appreciate the help.

FWIW the puzzles were not rated highly difficult; only in the D 2-2.5 range. It's not like this was a D5 supercypher.

Edited by Joshism

Here's what I don't understand. A poster comes here and asks about a puzzle code and is admonished for "bad form". Yet, I've seen more than a few "found it" logs that detail how a group of cachers got together and solved a puzzle cache, or had help from a couple of other cachers who had previously solved it. Is that, too, "bad form"? I've also seen puzzle caches where the clue from the CO was "maybe later", or "after a few finds", with no following up helpful hint. Is it then wrong to ask someone other than the CO for a hint?

We are all free to play the game as we see fit. For myself, I try to work 'em myself, but have worked some collectively. It's a lot like team caching, isn't it?

Working the brains together on the puzzle or in the field can both still be fun.

Let's not think about PAF!!

If you have any other puzzle questions some of you can try PurpleHell. Good place to start.

Yes it is bad form on the forum but between cachers outside the forums is no big deal. I learned a lot about puzzles from asking COs and other cachers. Another place is going to events and meet other cachers if you are new to the game.

MysteryCode.jpg

Reminds me of jumper blocks on old hardware. ya i know what it is but fear the wrath of the guidelines police.

I explicitly avoiding mentioning what puzzle I'd seen this one; I even copied the image to Photobucket to avoid linking directly to one of the puzzles so nothing was spoiled. But now I know what Braille numbers look like which means geocaching has taught me something I didn't know and I'd say that is a good thing. Besides, I still have to decode the puzzles myself. I appreciate the help.

A lot a puzzles are more about figuring out what you need to use to decode the puzzle than the act of actually decoding the puzzle.

In almost every "help me with a puzzle" thread one of the response will be "contact the CO" because that is the best answer. If the owner of that puzzle just wanted you to decode braille into a set of coordinates they would have included something in the listing indicating that the images were using braille. The owner created a puzzle and set the difficulty level according to how they intended the puzzle to be solved. When someone else "spoils" a puzzle, even if it is just information on what sort of method of encryption is being used, it defeats what the cache owner might have been trying to accomplish (i.e. to create a level 3 difficulty puzzle that requires others a level 3 amount of effort to solve).

I explicitly avoiding mentioning what puzzle I'd seen this one; I even copied the image to Photobucket to avoid linking directly to one of the puzzles so nothing was spoiled.

I appreciate the precautions you took and have no issues with your post; I think most people's primary concern is that there not be an inadvertently permanent electronic record of a cache solution, and you've taken pains to avoid that.

Furthermore, if you are banging your head against any specific puzzles in the future feel free to PM me - I love the puzzle creating / solving community and am always happy to bat ideas and techniques around.

if you are banging your head against any specific puzzles in the future feel free to PM me - I love the puzzle creating / solving community and am always happy to bat ideas and techniques around.

Really? I normally don't ask for help but I have one that's stumped every puzzler I know

if you are banging your head against any specific puzzles in the future feel free to PM me - I love the puzzle creating / solving community and am always happy to bat ideas and techniques around.

Really? I normally don't ask for help but I have one that's stumped every puzzler I know

I should be clear - I'm no puzzle savant, and if there's an unsolved puzzle out there that has baffled all comers, I'm not bloody likely to be able to read the CO's mind. But, I do like taking a look!

Here's what I don't understand. A poster comes here and asks about a puzzle code and is admonished for "bad form". Yet, I've seen more than a few "found it" logs that detail how a group of cachers got together and solved a puzzle cache, or had help from a couple of other cachers who had previously solved it. Is that, too, "bad form"?

I think it is, but forum users like throwing around the term "bad form". You see, it's technically bad form to see a topic in the forums asking for help on a puzzle cache and fail to accuse the OP of bad form. So if the folks above me hadn't reminded the OP their actions were bad form, they'd be guilty of bad form themselves. No one wants this, so they always post just to be on the safe side.

I don't care so much. If I see a topic like this I usually just go right ahead and ignore it. This is very bad form, so don't tell anyone :ph34r:

MysteryCode.jpg

Reminds me of jumper blocks on old hardware. ya i know what it is but fear the wrath of the guidelines police.

Exact same thought I had! :D

I'd love to have the reference as well if you don't mind a PM to me or email if you prefer through profile.

Winter is puzzle season here since there are no new caches yet.

No guarantee of a solution, but I often nudge people, or get to realy hate them for involving me... but quietly.

Normally I don't offer the answer at all. But I have teamed up for that purpose.

For AS and others:

Remember that the problem is when solutions get published for all time where they can be looked up/searched for.

There is no problem with teaming up, or getting private tutelage. Or for really general queries like the OP's.

But it is not a good thing to link it to a cache. This case is simply asking what a cache is, with no revelation about the nature of it, and is being done privately... but would likely be okay if it was given here like so many others... as long as someone doesn't blurt out the solution in well meaning enthusiasm... as sometimes happens. Thus the preferred route is private.

Doug 7rxc

free to PM me - I love the puzzle creating / solving community

I dang near took you up on that offer. I came across a puzzle in a different state that had nothing but a couple hundred strange, zig-zag glyphs on the page. I knew I had seen that writing before, and being a life long Sci-Fi/Fantasy nut, commenced Googling every phrase I could think of, in search of them. Nada... Zip...

(sigh... gotta do it the hard way)

I commenced counting the various glyphs, found the most oft repeated, and assigned that a value of "E". There were a few glyphs throughout the page that were radically different than the rest, (squared off zig-zags), so I decided they must by numbers. Two "numbers" were followed by the following word, "*E**EE*", which I decided must be the word "DEGREES". Armed with these letters, I figured out a couple more words, adding more letters, till I had it solved. One line made a reference to the old Sci-Fi TV show, Alien Nation.

I Googled "Alien Nation Glyph", and had confirmation with the first link.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why that didn't come up in any of my other Google searches. I suck at Google...

A puzzle solved between friends is not there for everyone to read for years afterward.

I dang near took you up on that offer. I came across a puzzle in a different state that had nothing but a couple hundred strange, zig-zag glyphs on the page. I knew I had seen that writing before, and being a life long Sci-Fi/Fantasy nut, commenced Googling every phrase I could think of, in search of them. Nada... Zip...

I commenced counting the various glyphs, found the most oft repeated, and assigned that a value of "E". There were a few glyphs throughout the page that were radically different than the rest, (squared off zig-zags), so I decided they must by numbers. Two "numbers" were followed by the following word, "*E**EE*", which I decided must be the word "DEGREES". Armed with these letters, I figured out a couple more words, adding more letters, till I had it solved. One line made a reference to the old Sci-Fi TV show, Alien Nation.

That's an approach that I've used a few times as well. If there are enough different symbols you can just convert them to letters. Then you can treat it as s substitution cipher to determine what the matching letters for each symbol should be. In fact, there was one puzzle that I did that had several of these. After awhile I got tired of transcribing symbols to letters and doing another substitution cipher. The puzzle became tedious so I gave up on it. There are a number of letter frequency tools available but it can be done manually as well. Figuring out the symbol for the letter E is key. If the puzzle is spelling out numbers finding a letter sequence for three will give you the symbol for T, which makes easy to figure out the sequence for seven, which gives you an N. With an E and an N, which leads to discovering "one" and "nine". At that point you can pretty much guess the rest.

That's an approach that I've used a few times as well. If there are enough different symbols you can just convert them to letters. Then you can treat it as s substitution cipher to determine what the matching letters for each symbol should be. In fact, there was one puzzle that I did that had several of these. After awhile I got tired of transcribing symbols to letters and doing another substitution cipher. The puzzle became tedious so I gave up on it. There are a number of letter frequency tools available but it can be done manually as well. Figuring out the symbol for the letter E is key. If the puzzle is spelling out numbers finding a letter sequence for three will give you the symbol for T, which makes easy to figure out the sequence for seven, which gives you an N. With an E and an N, which leads to discovering "one" and "nine". At that point you can pretty much guess the rest.

Yup. watch wheel of fortune. theres a reason R S T L N and E are givens followed by C D M and A by the contestant.

these are easily solved if theres no further obfuscation.

MysteryCode.jpg

This is Braille. You can search online for the Braille alphabet to solve it.

MysteryCode.jpg

This is xxxxx. You can search online for the xxxxxx xxxxxx to solve it.

:mad:

Edited by knowschad