coin / tb logs deleted

mlrs1996

I wouldn't have thought that a rule on something so simple would have been necessary, but apparently it is. People deleting rightful moved and discovered logs, just because they want their coin to have a clean slate? That's not right. I've heard it equated to many things, but the one that made the most sense was comparing it to rolling back the odometer on your car. It certainly looks like there are less miles on your car, but there really aren't less miles on your car. Deleting a history of rightfully earned logs takes away from geocoins as a whole, not to mention those geocachers who really enjoy collecting the icons from coins that they've seen. It seems to me that there is nothing gained by the deletion of geocoin logs, yet there is something lost. And the something lost, as we have found out in the geocoin forum over the last day or two, is pretty important to a good number of people.

I'd like to see Groundspeak adopt a policy for geocoins similar to the policy they have on logs for geocaches. Geocaches belong to the owner, but the owner can not delete rightful found logs for no reason. This is the what you agree to when you decide to make your geocache a part of Groundspeaks geocaching. Geocoins also belong to their owner, but should not be allowed to delete rightful moved or discovered logs without ample reasoning. Such is the agreement that should be made between Groundspeak and coin owners, such as myself, for allowing our coins to be activated and made part of Groundspeaks geocaching.

People deleting rightful moved and discovered logs, just because they want their coin to have a clean slate?

:huh:

I'm confused. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, and I can't think of any reason to do this. If a coin owner doesn't want any logs on their coin, why did they release it?

People deleting rightful moved and discovered logs, just because they want their coin to have a clean slate?

I'm confused. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, and I can't think of any reason to do this. If a coin owner doesn't want any logs on their coin, why did they release it?

The discussion in question revolves around people purchasing activated geocoins, and then deleting all of the logs that they have attached to them. Trying to re-write history, as they say.

The discussion in question revolves around people purchasing activated geocoins, and then deleting all of the logs that they have attached to them. Trying to re-write history, as they say.

That's a scenario I'd never have thought of. Thanks!

I agree that trackable logs should be treated the same as cache logs. In fact, I'm surprised they weren't already. Like you said, it's a historical record. If those logs are deleted, then that record is now incomplete and incorrect.

Perhaps the activation of a coin should change a little. When you activate a cache and offer it to review, you have to agree to the Terms of Use and the Guidelines.

When activating a coin, you should also agree to a Terms of Use.

Those ToU could be the same as for geocaches.

That's a scenario I'd never have thought of. Thanks!

I agree that trackable logs should be treated the same as cache logs. In fact, I'm surprised they weren't already. Like you said, it's a historical record. If those logs are deleted, then that record is now incomplete and incorrect.

Aside from the history of the trackable, it also affects the trackable stats for each and every person that has retrieved or discovered the item, does it not?

...but the owner can not delete rightful found logs for no reason.

What about twelve PAGES of bland "took it to" logs on three of my TBs one cacher "dipped" in over 100 caches? Why should I not delete those?

I ask that question in another forum topic: Twelve PAGES of "dips" - why not delete them?

My main concern revolves around the "grabbed" and "discovered" logs that affect people other than the coins owner. I don't see how deleting those "took it to" logs would make a difference to anyone but the coin owner, so unless I'm missing something, I'm ok with it. But removing a person from the coins history altogether is what I'd like to see put to an end.

...but the owner can not delete rightful found logs for no reason.

What about twelve PAGES of bland "took it to" logs on three of my TBs one cacher "dipped" in over 100 caches? Why should I not delete those?

Based on the discussion in that other topic, I don't see why you shouldn't delete them. However, if you really don't want your trackables dipped, maybe try adding a clear note to its description stating "No dipping". I know many don't read the descriptions, but it may stop the few that do from dipping your trackables.

Personally, I've had really bad luck with trackables, so I kind of like seeing ANY activity on the few trackables that still exist!

This topic is dealing with the deletion of valid logs to the point of losing your stat count. It is not about the whole 'visited' thing.

Yes, any of the following trackable log types should never be deleted:

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

Any others I'm missing? Any deprecated/obsolete ones?

There definitely needs to be some facility to prevent deletion of these, or at least notification of deletion and the possibility to appeal to appeals@geocaching.com for restoral like there is for cache logs.

Personally, I would equate the "visit" trackable log to the "note" cache log as far as importance. Neither affect any stats, and for the most part no harm is done if one is deleted. The other log types absolutely affect stats, and so should never be deleted (unless proven to be bogus, inappropriate, etc.).

This topic is dealing with the deletion of valid logs to the point of losing your stat count. It is not about the whole 'visited' thing.

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

There definitely needs to be some facility to prevent deletion of these, or at least notification of deletion and the possibility to appeal to appeals@geocaching.com for restoral like there is for cache logs.

Personally, I would equate the "visit" trackable log to the "note" cache log as far as importance. Neither affect any stats, and for the most part no harm is done if one is deleted. The other log types absolutely affect stats, and so should never be deleted (unless proven to be bogus, inappropriate, etc.).

Keep in mind we need to maintain accurate tracking through log deletion and the ability for the owner to delete bogus logs.

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

Keep in mind we need to maintain accurate tracking through log deletion and the ability for the owner to delete bogus logs.

Can you define what you mean by accurate tracking?

Sure. "I dropped the bug in the wrong cache, how do I fix it?"

The inability to delete logs causes tracking problems.

Excellent point.

Again, I don't think we're looking for a removal of the ability for a coin owner to delete logs. I think we're just looking for Groundspeak to develop a policy that makes the deleting of legitimate grabs and discover logs against the rules. Similar to the way they handle caches.

Excellent point.

Again, I don't think we're looking for a removal of the ability for a coin owner to delete logs. I think we're just looking for Groundspeak to develop a policy that makes the deleting of legitimate grabs and discover logs against the rules. Similar to the way they handle caches.

Understood, but cache log deletion and reinstatement is a very different animal when compared to travelers.

Excellent point.

Understood, but cache log deletion and reinstatement is a very different animal when compared to travelers.

Other than the stats that each log carries with it, how so?

Excellent point.

Other than the stats that each log carries with it, how so?

It's about the sequence.

Sorry about not expanding on the topic but I'm not sure how much the Mods want us to continue this discussion here. I'll be happy to take it over to the TB forum.

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

+1 and well said.

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

+1 and well said.

+1

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

+1 and well said.

+1

Add another +1 to the bunch for us. :P

Not allowing coin owners to delete logs could help keep activated and logged coins safer...

If an activated coin gets sold on the web, and word gets around that you can't 'wipe the slate clean' it should make activated coins less valuable, so less likely to be taken from a cache for the purpose of selling.

Is this actually done? Doesn't the buyer expect an adoption request? And if an adoption doesn't happen, there wouldn't be a new owner trying to wipe the slate clean...right?

Not allowing coin owners to delete logs could help keep activated and logged coins safer...

If an activated coin gets sold on the web, and word gets around that you can't 'wipe the slate clean' it should make activated coins less valuable, so less likely to be taken from a cache for the purpose of selling.

Is this actually done? Doesn't the buyer expect an adoption request? And if an adoption doesn't happen, there wouldn't be a new owner trying to wipe the slate clean...right?

No, without an adoption you can't do much of anything but move and/or discover the coin.

There is definitely a concern about buying stolen coins on eBay, as I found out with three coins I bought from the same seller when I first started collecting geocoins. In the end, I had to report the seller to eBay and I sent the coins back to their rightful owners.

Clarification please.

Yes, any valid logs of the following trackable log types should never be deleted [please specify if you are referring to coin owners only or both owners and loggers]:

I think this discussion is focusing primarily on owners deleting logs. I don't see much of a problem if a logger decides to delete their own logs. It's akin to deleting their own find log on a cache. It doesn't affect anyone but themselves.

Clarification please.

Yes, any valid logs of the following trackable log types should never be deleted [please specify if you are referring to coin owners only or both owners and loggers]:

I think this discussion is focusing primarily on owners deleting logs. I don't see much of a problem if a logger decides to delete their own logs. It's akin to deleting their own find log on a cache. It doesn't affect anyone but themselves.

Yes. But many things were discussed in the other thread, and some of them involved the logger's abilities to change logs. IMO, when asking for a feature or guideline implementation from Groundspeak here, it is better to be clear about what is being requested. Or you may have a higher likelihood of ending up with something different from what you intended.

I can see that some feel it is necessary to create more rules and guidelines in regards to geocoins/Travelbugs. But is this really a problem? From what I have read in this thread and the other, All of the logs deleted were for discover logs which took place at a single event. The new owner was not just deleting logs arbitrarily, but only a few that were all done on the same day at an event. For the most part coin/tb owners want the logs on their coins they want to see the travels of their said item. Removing the ultimate freedom of ownership regarding coins/tb's would be a detriment to the owner. IMO

I can see that some feel it is necessary to create more rules and guidelines in regards to geocoins/Travelbugs. But is this really a problem? From what I have read in this thread and the other, All of the logs deleted were for discover logs which took place at a single event. The new owner was not just deleting logs arbitrarily, but only a few that were all done on the same day at an event. For the most part coin/tb owners want the logs on their coins they want to see the travels of their said item. Removing the ultimate freedom of ownership regarding coins/tb's would be a detriment to the owner. IMO

Those discover logs were not just minor entries on a webpage. They legitimately credited an icon to the loggers in question, added a stat to their Trackables tab and became a part of their geocaching history. When the logs were deleted, the icons were removed, the numbers reduced and a piece of their history for that geocaching day was removed.

For me, that's a problem I would like to see GS address. I don't favor any rules "removing the ultimate freedom of ownership regarding coins/tbs", but I do favor guidelines that would protect EVERYONE'S rights in this game.

Those discover logs were not just minor entries on a webpage. They legitimately credited an icon to the loggers in question, added a stat to their Trackables tab and became a part of their geocaching history. When the logs were deleted, the icons were removed, the numbers reduced and a piece of their history for that geocaching day was removed.

For me, that's a problem I would like to see GS address. I don't favor any rules "removing the ultimate freedom of ownership regarding coins/tbs", but I do favor guidelines that would protect EVERYONE'S rights in this game.

I agree with Geominions, The problem is not vast enough to warrant More Rules and Guidelines that will take away ownership rights on coins/tb's

I agree with Geominions, The problem is not vast enough to warrant More Rules and Guidelines that will take away ownership rights on coins/tb's

I'm not trying to make this sound like your opinion doesn't matter, because it of course does, but you have 0 finds, have seen 0 trackables, and own 0 trackables. What experience with the differences between log types do you have to give you such an opinion? I see you have 2 posts, both of which have been made on this topic. Where does your knowledge on the subject stem from? These are just a couple of honest questions.

I'm not trying to make this sound like your opinion doesn't matter, because it of course does, but you have 0 finds, have seen 0 trackables, and own 0 trackables. What experience with the differences between log types do you have to give you such an opinion? I see you have 2 posts, both of which have been made on this topic. Where does your knowledge on the subject stem from? These are just a couple of honest questions.

I have a geocaching ID and a Forum ID - which is stated so on my profile. I have been geocaching for quite some time and moved and discovered several hundred coin/tb's

I have a geocaching ID and a Forum ID - which is stated so on my profile. I have been geocaching for quite some time and moved and discovered several hundred coin/tb's

Yea, I saw that you just added that. Thanks for the reply.

I agree whole-heartedly that we should not take away ownership rights. I just feel that something should be put into place to protect EVERYONE'S rights. There have been suggestions mentioned in the other thread that I feel would be a good compromise. Would you be agreeable to a compromise?

This really isn't a problem if you don't delete the retrieves, grabs, drops, and discoveries. That's part of the coins history even if the coin is in the wild or in someones collection that they take to events. It's ALL part of logging the coins history. I just don't see any reason to delete someones discovery and take that away from that cacher. Even if someone buys a coin with logs already on it, the logs should remain. But that's just how I play. :)

Not afraid of a compromise. Just wish it would not come in the form of more rules.

I think we all wish that. But apparently people aren't acting what the community as a whole, or even a majority, would consider responsible with the freedoms they have, hence the desire for change.

Edited by G & C

Ah Change.. That always works so well.

I know. It can be a blessing and a curse. But when coin owners go "changing" logs, a lot of people want to "change" the rules, which is why we have this thread here.

It's a good discussion, at any rate.

Not afraid of a compromise. Just wish it would not come in the form of more rules.

I'm not a big fan of rules either, but this is a huge community of people from all over the planet, all trying to play the same game. For the most part...to each his/her own. But when the way one person plays is detrimental to the way another person plays (and both people are following current guidelines), then there needs to be some changes and they should come from the people who own the game.

Since you're not afraid of a compromise, do you have any suggestions?

Perhaps just simple guidelines for etiquette, but no Hard and Fast rule. Some of what I have read sounds reasonable about having an archive button or link. But I think the Coin/TB Owner should always have the last say on their trackable item.

It sounds like you want geocoins to be handled in the same manner as geocaches, which is what we've been looking for. Owners have the final say, in that they can remove their listing at any time. But if their coin/cache is a part of the site, then etiquette has to be followed, meaning no deleted logs without sufficient reason, ie proof of fake log, virtual logging, etc..

I agree I don't care for rules either but

If etiquette had been followed to begin with then these topics never would have started.

So when people are not that's when guidelines need to be set.

I don't think we need a whole new set of rules just something to keep everyone on the same page

From what I read in the early part of the other 'coin' thread, logs on trackables appear to be basically the same as for caches...

They can be hidden (by deleting, owner or logger), but they don't get erased. That seems to be proven by the fact that they were restored (temporarily). It was also suggested over there that the better solution would be to give the viewer the ability to display what logs they wish to see, rather than 'delete' them... Don't want to look at visits, turn it off! But that is not going to happen at the snap of a finger, given a few more pressing problems these days.

Back a bit, there was a list of log types (forgot to quote it) and the comment that 'visit' was about the same or less importance as 'note'... hard to believe that, since it is the equivalent of a 'drop' and 'retrieve' (aka a 'dip'). Only difference seems to be that it does not generate an email notification when logged or deleted. And 'visit' does add to one stat, the mileage count, which is about the only thing I find interesting. I suppose that people should avoid logging a visit to every cache in a cluster of caches, just pick one representative of the area. That makes the map a lot clearer as well. I do visit my few trackables to all caches, but then I thin out clusters later on when I can sit and see what affects the mileage the least, or to include the truly memorable caches as opposed to the 'blah' ones... I like them all so far, but some get the recognition they deserve.

That's it from my POV.

Doug 7rxc

-Retrieve

-Grab

-Drop

-Discover

+1 and well said.

+1

I not very familiar with this forum so I wasn't sure how much debating about TB/Travlers we could do here since we spend enough time debating it there.

People have a need to delete mistake drops. Oops, wrong cache. Do a Retrieve, delete the bad drop and retrieve, place it in the right cache. This is also an option for the owner to correct improper logging especially when the cacher is new and might not be site savvy.

When it comes to angst logging or angst deletions it seems better that the site representatives deal with it rather then simply taking it away from everyone. Their level of effort and the impact to the customer should dictate whether or not we users should continue to have the access to delete logs.

I for one would prefer that we not place it on the lackies to fix every oops log.

Edited by BlueDeuce

From what I read in the early part of the other 'coin' thread, logs on trackables appear to be basically the same as for caches...

They can be hidden (by deleting, owner or logger), but they don't get erased. That seems to be proven by the fact that they were restored (temporarily). It was also suggested over there that the better solution would be to give the viewer the ability to display what logs they wish to see, rather than 'delete' them... Don't want to look at visits, turn it off! But that is not going to happen at the snap of a finger, given a few more pressing problems these days.

Back a bit, there was a list of log types (forgot to quote it) and the comment that 'visit' was about the same or less importance as 'note'... hard to believe that, since it is the equivalent of a 'drop' and 'retrieve' (aka a 'dip'). Only difference seems to be that it does not generate an email notification when logged or deleted. And 'visit' does add to one stat, the mileage count, which is about the only thing I find interesting. I suppose that people should avoid logging a visit to every cache in a cluster of caches, just pick one representative of the area. That makes the map a lot clearer as well. I do visit my few trackables to all caches, but then I thin out clusters later on when I can sit and see what affects the mileage the least, or to include the truly memorable caches as opposed to the 'blah' ones... I like them all so far, but some get the recognition they deserve.

That's it from my POV.

Doug 7rxc

I see your point and I'd agree with you. I also agree that the option to visit (dip) is sometimes overused and can cause pages and pages of "boring logs" (as some players have been calling them..and again, I'd agree). One more plus to the options that have been suggested for a separate tab or clickable link to hide/show partial/full history which would leave the mileage intact.