New Feature Request - "Rest Area Caches"

DrummerKid418

Alot of people (including me) seem to enjoy finding geocaches at rest area's while on the road. I found 1 on my way to Gatlinburg a few months ago, and cant wait to find some on road trips this summer icon_smile.gif. However, locating "Rest Area" caches can be hard. Does anyone else think it would be cool if there was a section for Rest Area caches, that way people would have an eaiser time locating them? Thanks!

-JacobTN

I have an alternate suggestion... One item on my list is creating cache attributes (wheelchair accessible, dog off-leash area) and I could add "on major highway" or something like that. I don't think a rest area cache requires its own cache type, but I can see how it would be a worthwhile way to search for a cache.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

To the contrary, I think it would be a fine idea to give these caches their own icon, so that I can easily distinguish them from the caches I'd actually like to hunt.

toilet_icon.jpg

My thanks to Tonsil for the icon!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Another idea, and one I've been wishing for, is the ability to find caches within a distance of a given interstate, federal, or state road. I would love to be able to do this for road trips.

I wonder how hard this would be to implement. I work with GIS and I know we can create buffers on either side of a road (or of any line) but I'm not sure how feasible that would be to serve up to everyone.

How about figuring out a way to add Geocaches to the Garmin Street pilot III in the "points of interest" menu. Of course you will still need your trusty handheld GPS to find them. For those that travel, it would be a neat feature.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

One item on my list is creating cache attributes (wheelchair accessible, dog off-leash area) and I could add "on major highway" or something like that.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I can't wait for the attributes! Excellent idea and much needed!

I think attributes are a great idea if it will help do a linear search while traveling. I geocache quite often on road trips and it is very time consuming to come up with a list from the current search program. I also think it would be a great idea to be able to look at a map with the highways on it and dots for all the cache locations. Then you could simply click on the dots you knew you would be traveling by and get the link to the cache page.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

My thanks to Tonsil for the icon!

He really ought to start charging you for all this graphic work he does for you.

Cache Attributes

If you want to start using a form of cache attributes now, check out 9key's The Selector. It's way cool, I think, and he has shared it with lots of folks.

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

However, the "no placing caches while on vacation" rule still applies to rest-stop micros. So only place them where you can maintain them (even though it's only a micro), unless you want an admin yelling at you.

quote:
Originally posted by JacobTN:

Alot of people (including me) seem to enjoy finding geocaches at rest area's while on the road. I found 1 on my way to Gatlinburg a few months ago, and cant wait to find some on road trips this summer icon_smile.gif. However, locating "Rest Area" caches can be hard. Does anyone else think it would be cool if there was a section for Rest Area caches, that way people would have an eaiser time locating them? Thanks!

-JacobTN

A near major highway attribute sounds good (the whole idea of cache metadata has been one at the back of my mind for ages), but please, let's not get carried away with "distance from corridor"!?!?

Let's keep some air of challenge and mystery to the whole thing. It's not just about finding it, it's getting there too.