Sticky issue on Garmin new models.

WrongwayUK

This is a well documented problem and my Oregon 450 and 62S does the same thing. Has Garmin EVER even recognized the problem and said what they think is causing it ?

A friend said his Delorme PN60 does the same thing.

I like my units but they don't like it when you move slowly.....when mine get " sticky " I walk away briskly and walk back fast to GZ. Problem is at times you can't walk at all....just this weekend I found myself balancing on break-water rocks and no matter how far I crawled the cache was still 20' away, all this despite having clear overhead and tons of satellites ( no buildings, trees, etc. to create " ghosts ").

Great video showing it like it is.......very frustrating.

like my units but they don't like it when you move slowly.....when mine get " sticky " I walk away briskly and walk back fast to GZ. Problem is at times you can't walk at all

Then do a quick pirouette? Or at least swing your arm quickly in a wide arc?

And to think I've always said the electronic compass won't have you walking around like a drunk :rolleyes:

Without the " sticky " issue my 62S would be the perfect geocaching tool.....my hearing is so bad I can't hear if it squeaks and my buttons aren't showing wear yet B)

I watched a buddy drop-kick his Dakota into the forest because it keeps doing that. (He did go and find it, but refuses to use it anymore.)

I feel your friend's frustration. That's an interesting video accurately documenting the down side of certain Garmin models (two of which I own--62s and Oregon 450) and apparently, other makes as well. Although I don't think it's as serious as it once was (I could be wrong about that), I get around it by trying to walk at a steady pace and understanding the hint and description beforehand. So, when I approach GZ, I start looking for the cache right away. Personally, because this issue's been around awhile, I don't think Garmin has a fix for it. I enjoy using those handhelds but I find myself often going back to my 60CSx which has never been "sticky".

I watched a buddy drop-kick his Dakota into the forest because it keeps doing that. (He did go and find it, but refuses to use it anymore.)

I feel your friend's frustration. That's an interesting video accurately documenting the down side of certain Garmin models (two of which I own--62s and Oregon 450) and apparently, other makes as well. Personally, because this issue's been around awhile, I don't think Garmin has a fix for it. I enjoy using those handhelds but I find myself often going back to my 60CSx which has never been "sticky".

They do have a fix for it ... The software in the 60csx works correctly. And I would guess that garmin is like most companies... If people are not complaining about it, leave it alone. It's expensive to retool core software.

As I've said in other posts I've experienced the " sticky " on many occasions with both my Oregon 450 and 62S. Its well documented both here and on WIKI.

Its a shame because otherwise these would be great units. It's strange.....it can happen at the seashore with perfect overhead and no nearby objects or you may make a dozen trips in to the woods, some thick, and have no problem.

Has Garmin ever commented re. this issue??

I'm going to keep responding to one or both of these latest " sticky " threads so that they stay on top the list.....hopefully Garmin will notice.

I have a gut feeling this is an issue that cannot be addressed with a firmware update....hope I'm wrong.

They do have a fix for it ... The software in the 60csx works correctly.

This unit has the good old SIRF chip build into it. The sticky issue seems

to occur with the cartesio/teseo-2 GPS chips.

Not sure if the chip has anything to do with it. When my 20 locks up, it continues to update my speed very accurately. This tells me that the device hardware is working correctly... And the software is trying to correct for gps drift . It's just OVER correcting. ( and not taking distance moved into account )

Who knows... Colorados did this at one time, but one firmware fixed it. I had thought the 60 series did it at one time as well, but it is too hard to remember back that far. You were too busy watching out for dinosaur attacks. It always makes me giggle when people claim so much trouble free operation from a 60... It must have been three years after they came out before most of the bugs were worked out.

Edited by Red90

people claim so much trouble free operation from a 60... It must have been three years after they came out before most of the bugs were worked out.

Dinosaur attacks?!? LOL ! 3 years huh? I take it garmin isn't learning from their own past ...? I always expect some early adopter bugs... But this issue just looks like it won't die.

...I take it garmin isn't learning from their own past ...

Unfortunately, all companies are controlled by the penny pinchers. Goal number 1 is to get new units out and sell them. "Wasting" money paying programmers to make the 1% of customers that complain happy is not on the top of the list of priorities.

You should have seen when the first paperless unit, the Colorado, came out. It had more bugs than features. Things are MUCH better now....

"Management" : "We need to release the Colorado next month at CEMA"

"Programmer" : "With another 5 bodies we can have it ready in two months!"

"Management" : "Bill and Bob are being pulled to work on the Oregon project. Make sure the Colorado is ready in two weeks."

...I take it garmin isn't learning from their own past ...

Unfortunately, all companies are controlled by the penny pinchers. Goal number 1 is to get new units out and sell them. "Wasting" money paying programmers to make the 1% of customers that complain happy is not on the top of the list of priorities.

You should have seen when the first paperless unit, the Colorado, came out. It had more bugs than features. Things are MUCH better now....

"Management" : "We need to release the Colorado next month at CEMA"

"Programmer" : "With another 5 bodies we can have it ready in two months!"

"Management" : "Bill and Bob are being pulled to work on the Oregon project. Make sure the Colorado is ready in two weeks."

I agree.....still, since Magellan tanked after they dumped the Meridian there doesn't seem to be a lot of competition for Garmin. :(

As seen in another thread by Allory:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5557

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.61:

Improved GPS response at low speeds

Downloaded the prog, ran it, it updated to 6.21 beta. Seems to be working so far... Going caching Sunday so I'll report back if it made a difference.

Now if we can just get it for the Oregon X50 and 62S ( hey, we've been waiting a LOT longer !