Book mark lists

ngrrfan

How do I copy someone's bookmark list to my bookmark list? :unsure:

For that matter, how do I copy one of my bookmark lists so I can edit it into something else.

In both cases I don't want to start a new bookmark list from scratch.

Short answer: you can't

Long answer: You can't do that.

Probably unacceptable answer: You generate a PQ from the bookmark you want to copy, import that into an empty GSAK database, make an empty bookmark on GC.com and then with V8 GSAK use the add to bookmark interface to populate the empty bookmark list on GC.com. The non-GSAK method is to go to the bookmark list you want to copy and click through the list and add each cache to your new bookmark list.

For that matter, how do I copy one of my bookmark lists so I can edit it into something else.

Probably unacceptable answer: You generate a PQ from the bookmark you want to copy, import that into an empty GSAK database, make an empty bookmark on GC.com and then with V8 GSAK use the add to bookmark interface to populate the empty bookmark list on GC.com. The non-GSAK method is to go to the bookmark list you want to copy and click through the list and add each cache to your new bookmark list.

That what I was thinking.

Hmmmmm..... I didn't know you could do this with GSAK. Guess I'll give it a whirl and see how it works. :)

BTW..... That was an acceptable answer. :D (Even though I think it should be a function of the site.)

Hmmmmm..... I didn't know you could do this with GSAK. Guess I'll give it a whirl and see how it works. :)

BTW..... That was an acceptable answer. :D (Even though I think it should be a function of the site.)

I suggested the ability to copy bookmarks over a year ago. I seriously doubt it will ever surface in a site update. TPTB seem to carefully avoid implementing anything folks would find useful and want. Oh, and I was cruising the GSAK boards this morning and a user just posted a macro to populate a db from a bookmark list. At least that step is a bit easier now.

I suggested the ability to copy bookmarks over a year ago. I seriously doubt it will ever surface in a site update. TPTB seem to carefully avoid implementing anything folks would find useful and want. Oh, and I was cruising the GSAK boards this morning and a user just posted a macro to populate a db from a bookmark list. At least that step is a bit easier now.

What was the name of the macro?

I remember you, and others, asking for the bookmark idea. In fact.... I seem to remember that after many updates the same question seems to be asked when this feature will be added and the same answer seems to be "it's under advisement/review". :lol:

What was the name of the macro?

I remember you, and others, asking for the bookmark idea. In fact.... I seem to remember that after many updates the same question seems to be asked when this feature will be added and the same answer seems to be "it's under advisement/review". :lol:

It is cleverly named AddFromBookMark. :)

I'm not trying to one-up you on this but I suggest this several years ago.

The thing is, they've already done most of the work to implement this. If you look at a bookmark list you'll find a checkbox next to every item in the list. At the bottom there is a "Bulk Delete" button as well as a "Download to loc." button which means that you can essentially perform a bulk operation on every item that has been selected. Suppose they added a "Bulk Copy" and "Bulk Move" button. When viewing a public list, one could select a group of bookmarks from the list, the select "Bulk Copy". It would then prompt you for the name of an existing bookmark list that you created and copy the items into that list. Or, if you're viewing your own bookmark list, you could select "Bulk Move" and it would move the bookmarks from one list to another.

This would work intuitively how I work with "link" bookmarks in a web browser. I do it with a two step process. First, as I'm surfing the web and come across a page for which I want to create a bookmark I'll just click on "Bookmark this page" and let it save it in a default location (I have a "New Bookmarks" folder that I created for this). I'll repeat as necessary, capturing multiple links at a time. Then I go back and select "Organize Bookmarks" (it might be called Manage Bookmarks in some browsers) and move those bookmarks into specific folders.

The bulk download to LOC would save you the hassle of doing a Pocket Query.

View Bookmark List

Select "1000" to show

Check All

Bulk Download to LOC

Open in GSAK

Run Macro "AddFromBookMark" - clicking 1000 times (each step of the macro opens a browser window to the page for the cache for "Add to Bookmark List"

View Bookmark List

Select "1000" to show

Check All

Bulk Download to LOC

Open in GSAK

Run Macro "AddFromBookMark" - clicking 1000 times (each step of the macro opens a browser window to the page for the cache for "Add to Bookmark List"

I don't see where your getting a 1000 clicks from. I see maybe 12 or so. You obviously don't have a clue how the macro works.

Edited by jholly
You obviously don't have a clue how the macro works.

Nice attitude. <_<

The bookmark macro I use from Clyde is version 1.2 - now maybe there's a much more recent version of that macro, but when I use the macro, each cache opens in a browser page (geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.aspx?guid=((GUID))&WptTypeID=((WptTypeNumber - 2 for Traditional)), and I have to click the "Create Bookmark" on the page to create the bookmark.

If the bookmark list is 1,000 caches (not 12) there would be 1,000 clicks, right?

Is there a more up-to-date version of the macro that does those clicks automatically?

Edited by Markwell
You obviously don't have a clue how the macro works.

Nice attitude. <_<

The bookmark macro I use from Clyde is version 1.2 - now maybe there's a much more recent version of that macro, but when I use the macro, each cache opens in a browser page (geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.aspx?guid=((GUID))&WptTypeID=((WptTypeNumber - 2 for Traditional)), and I have to click the "Create Bookmark" on the page to create the bookmark.

If the bookmark list is 1,000 caches (not 12) there would be 1,000 clicks, right?

Is there a more up-to-date version of the macro that does those clicks automatically?

No there is not. You are correct.

It looks like you're both talking about different macros. There are the following in the GSAK Macro Library:

AddFromBookMark.gsk

Version: 1.0.0

Author: crewone

Publish date: Feb 1, 2012 (today)

"This macro imports all caches from a geocaching.com bookmark list."

BookMark.gsk

Version: 1.4

Author: clyde

Publish date: Dec 17, 2009

"This macro will enable you to generate a Geocaching.com bookmark of your current filter."

These macros do exactly opposite things. "AddFromBookMark" downloads caches from a Geocaching.com bookmark list into GSAK. "BookMark" adds caches already in GSAK to a Geocaching.com bookmark list. Markwell's procedure for adding GSAK caches to a bookmark list is correct, he just made a mistake and quoted the wrong filename (should have been BookMark.gsk).

Markwell's procedure for adding GSAK caches to a bookmark list is correct, he just made a mistake and quoted the wrong filename (should have been BookMark.gsk).

So I'll amend my original statement

View Bookmark List

Select "1000" to show

Check All

Bulk Download to LOC

Open in GSAK

Run Macro "BookMark.gsk" - clicking up to 1000 times, depending on how many caches are in the bookmark list (each step of the macro opens a browser window to the page for the cache for "Add to Bookmark List")

Markwell's procedure for adding GSAK caches to a bookmark list is correct, he just made a mistake and quoted the wrong filename (should have been BookMark.gsk).

So I'll amend my original statement

View Bookmark List

Select "1000" to show

Check All

Bulk Download to LOC

Open in GSAK

Run Macro "BookMark.gsk" - clicking up to 1000 times, depending on how many caches are in the bookmark list (each step of the macro opens a browser window to the page for the cache for "Add to Bookmark List")

And I'll stand by my answer. AddFromBookMark.gsk downloads from any sharable bookmark and the Add to Bookmark interface loads up your bookmark list. Using these two together you save about 988 clicks, and you don't visit even one cache page. If you want to go through the list one at a time, fine, I'll do it with far few clicks and in about 1% of the time. Download from the one you want to copy, and upload to your list. You want to slice and dice along the way, fine, you got the database to work with. Not the best solution, but since GS does not give us the tools to do it in one step on the site, you have to use what you got.

Edited by jholly

It looks like you're both talking about different macros. There are the following in the GSAK Macro Library:

AddFromBookMark.gsk

BookMark.gsk

"This macro will enable you to generate a Geocaching.com bookmark of your current filter."

These macros do exactly opposite things. "AddFromBookMark" downloads caches from a Geocaching.com bookmark list into GSAK. "BookMark" adds caches already in GSAK to a Geocaching.com bookmark list. Markwell's procedure for adding GSAK caches to a bookmark list is correct, he just made a mistake and quoted the wrong filename (should have been BookMark.gsk).

You got it about half right. Once you have loaded the database with AddtoBookMark use the Add To Bookmark interface to populate your copy of the list.

AddFromBookMark.gsk

BookMark.gsk

You got it about half right. Once you have loaded the database with AddtoBookMark use the Add To Bookmark interface to populate your copy of the list.

Actually, everything I posted there is correct, it's just that there is now an easier way to do the second half of the procedure. I was just posting the above to clarify what Markwell was referring to. It took a few re-reads of your posts before I realized you were talking about the API "Add to bookmark list..." function and not a macro.

So, to clarify, to copy a bookmark list using GSAK:

-View the bookmark list you want to copy

-Select "1000" or whatever number is required to show all caches in the list

-Click the green checkmark at the top of the first column to check all entries

-Click the "Download to .Loc" button at the bottom

-Open the LOC file with GSAK and load into an empty database

-Go to the "Geocaching.com access" menu, then "Add to bookmark list..."

-Choose an empty bookmark list (must be created beforehand through the website)

-Set the scope to "All in current filter"

-Click "Add"

AddFromBookMark.gsk

BookMark.gsk

Actually, everything I posted there is correct, it's just that there is now an easier way to do the second half of the procedure. I was just posting the above to clarify what Markwell was referring to. It took a few re-reads of your posts before I realized you were talking about the API "Add to bookmark list..." function and not a macro.

So, to clarify, to copy a bookmark list using GSAK:

-View the bookmark list you want to copy

-Select "1000" or whatever number is required to show all caches in the list

-Click the green checkmark at the top of the first column to check all entries

-Click the "Download to .Loc" button at the bottom

-Open the LOC file with GSAK and load into an empty database

-Go to the "Geocaching.com access" menu, then "Add to bookmark list..."

-Choose an empty bookmark list (must be created beforehand through the website)

-Set the scope to "All in current filter"

-Click "Add"

Close.

The AddFromBookMark.gsk macro, which actually installs as ImportBookMark.gsk, does not have any limit, it loads what is in the bookmark, all of it. It uses an API call. It seems to be more a .loc type import and you need to use the API interface Refresh cache data ... to flesh it out. But for the purposes of populating a bookmark of your own with the API interface Add to bookmark ... that will be fine. Yes, you need to filter if you wish, and the scope is all in the filter.

A bit more clarification. The AddFromBookMark macro allows either selecting one of your bookmarks, or if you go get the url from any sharable bookmark and input that, it will load the entire bookmark, no clicking green checks, no clicking "Download to .loc", etc., it loads it directly into the current database.

For and experiment I grabbed the 750 cache bookmark on the eastern part of the ET Highway. I was able to duplicate that bookmark to one of mine in a couple minutes. Really cool. I use and mess with bookmarks a lot and publish a public bookmark for the cache machines here in the Northwest, and the geocaching.com access on the menu bar has been a real god send. The AddFromBookMark macro completes the picture.

Edited by jholly

The AddFromBookMark macro allows either selecting one of your bookmarks, or if you go get the url from any sharable bookmark and input that, it will load the entire bookmark, no clicking green checks, no clicking "Download to .loc", etc., it loads it directly into the current database.

Nice! That certainly would make the procedure much easier.

Thanks for this one and all. There have been a number of cache series published recently in my area and while it is relatively easy to filter them in GSAK for myself, I have been pondering it would be a good service for other cachers to publish a bookmark. But I've been put off this by the prospect of manually adding a couple of dozen caches within GC.com.

But with this feature of GSAK it is only a few clicks. Thanks guys and thanks Clyde.

The AddFromBookMark macro allows either selecting one of your bookmarks, or if you go get the url from any sharable bookmark and input that, it will load the entire bookmark, no clicking green checks, no clicking "Download to .loc", etc., it loads it directly into the current database.

Nice! That certainly would make the procedure much easier.

I'll agree. I didn't know that the AddFromBookMark macro also added TO a bookmark list. I've been using the BookMark.gsk macro.

With that functionality, the BookMark.gsk is obsolete, but I think the AddFromBookMark macro needs a renaming. It's like saying GSAK will open your GPX files and not mentioning that it can also load the files to your GPS.