Urwigo Crashed After Playing Sounds

ATXTracker

I have a cartridge that worked reliably. I recently added sounds to it using the Play Sound command onEntering a zone. It works, but after entering and exiting the zone on the emulator a number of times (like 5-10ish), the sounds stop playing and Urwigo crashes. I'm using a single audio file with two resources, one wav and one fdl. This never happened before adding the Play Sound commands. The sound files are small, less than a 1.5 seconds in length.

What next? Is this a know issue? Is there a fix?

(screenshot attached)

post-660466-084966000 1328055503_thumb.png

I have a cartridge that worked reliably. I recently added sounds to it using the Play Sound command onEntering a zone. It works, but after entering and exiting the zone on the emulator a number of times (like 5-10ish), the sounds stop playing and Urwigo crashes. I'm using a single audio file with two resources, one wav and one fdl. This never happened before adding the Play Sound commands. The sound files are small, less than a 1.5 seconds in length.

What next? Is this a know issue? Is there a fix?

(screenshot attached)

post-660466-084966000 1328055503_thumb.png

I think I fixed it. Having multiple resources for a audio media (one WAV and one FDL) seems to break the emulator at least. I removed the FDLs leaving only the WAVs and the problem went away. I'll have to use if-else logic to determine which to play based on the environment variable.

well I spoke too soon. I'm still having the same problem; Urwigo is crashing during playback in the emluator. Now I have two sets of audio files, one with WAVs and the other set has FDL resources. I'm using the player environment to determine which to play. It plays much farther in but still crashes.

Any ideas where to start debugging?

Edited by ATXTracker

well I spoke too soon. I'm still having the same problem; Urwigo is crashing during playback in the emluator. Now I have two sets of audio files, one with WAVs and the other set has FDL resources. I'm using the player environment to determine which to play. It plays much farther in but still crashes.

Any ideas where to start debugging?

not really a satisfying solution, but: i noticed that the emulator crashes when you perform any next action while the sound is still playing. so try to take your time. let the sound play well out before you click anything. i usally put my sounds in functions, use dummy functions without sound as long as i'm testing and put the sound in again at the very end.

the "real devices" do not seem to have that problem.

yes I agree, I think too, that this is only a problem from urwigo and/or triggering the sound device at the computer.

sound output on the gps device, garmin or iphone or whatever nearly always works. if not, there may be other reasons.

sometimes, but rare i have a crash in the simulator too when a sound should start, when i enter a zone. if i check these cartridge outside with the oregon, i never have had any problems with onEnter/sound

yes I agree, I think too, that this is only a problem from urwigo and/or triggering the sound device at the computer.

sound output on the gps device, garmin or iphone or whatever nearly always works. if not, there may be other reasons.

sometimes, but rare i have a crash in the simulator too when a sound should start, when i enter a zone. if i check these cartridge outside with the oregon, i never have had any problems with onEnter/sound

good feedback. I'll try playing through the emulator very slowly, and then test also with real devices.

I recently ran into sound issues in the emulator too. I am aware this is an old thread but since this issue is still present it might help some people sharing my workaround. My workaround is to create a 1 second countdown Timer. Then in the On Elapse screen of that timer, start playing the sound file. You will have to create a timer like that for each individual sound file. Wav files seems to work fine btw. Then when you want to play a sound, choose Start timer and pick the timer dedicated to the sound file you want. For me that prevented most of the audio playback fails in the emulator. If it still fails, restarting the Urwigo program completely should help.