Etrex 10/20/30 -help garmin with this "sticky" issue!

ChefRd2000

Thanks to both 'jholly' & 'Atlas Cached', I have just downloaded and installed the beta version (2.87). I will see how that goes, the compass issue is really annoying especially seeing as I had bought this specifically because my Samsung Galaxy S2 has a very poor GPS & compass and it was driving me mad trying to find Geocaches.

The compass has been practically unusable before 2.87 - now it's quite flawless. Actually sticking coordinates/distance I haven't seen at 2.73 and onwards, but I guess mileage can vary depending on different variations and configurations of the devices... (some claim to never have had a Sticky problem, even at the very first firmware revisions)

I have now used the new firmware for a few weeks and it is now actually useable, the compass is certainly not fixed because it still points all over the place, for example one moment it indicates 15ft West and after moving over a couple of feet it will point in another direction (i.e. South) however the GPS now works when moving very slowly or stationary, so at least that cab be used now.

It is very disappointing that a large GPSr company releases an unusable product and even after many months still fails to resolve software issues and fully relies on it's customers to complain and use beta software that is not even available on it's own website.

Just curious... Is there a GPSr that actually works as intended? Right out of the box? I have yet to read about one that works without major problems that can only be fixed some of the time. I've been wanting to buy a dedicated GPSr, but every time I start to research them I get scared away with all the problems I read about on a regular basis. I've been wanting an etrek 20, and everyone seems to like it, but then they talk about the problems they have in their next breath. I'm going nuts trying to decide if it's even worth the trouble.

Just curious... Is there a GPSr that actually works as intended? Right out of the box? I have yet to read about one that works without major problems that can only be fixed some of the time. I've been wanting to buy a dedicated GPSr, but every time I start to research them I get scared away with all the problems I read about on a regular basis. I've been wanting an etrek 20, and everyone seems to like it, but then they talk about the problems they have in their next breath. I'm going nuts trying to decide if it's even worth the trouble.

Current Oregon 450/550 models have been through more than two years worth of updates and fine tuning. They were nearly $600 USD when new, full of bugs, and now you can have an Oregon 450 for under $200 USD with all the kinks worked out ;-)

Current Oregon 450/550 models have been through more than two years worth of updates and fine tuning. They were nearly $600 USD when new, full of bugs, and now you can have an Oregon 450 for under $200 USD with all the kinks worked out ;-)

I agree.....the 62S is also free of major bugs and working fine.

I'd go with one of these two 450= touchscreen, 62S = buttons.

Been using my 20 for almost a year. Not one single problem. Also remember that whether it a GPS, car, motorcycle or whatever forum people post bad experiences. The good experiences almost always far outnumber the bad they just don't get mentioned.

Thought I would stop by the forums and see what's new! Was surprised to see my old post still active. My etrex 20 has been flawless since 2.80. I have no plans to update to newer firmware ... As I am super happy now. ( and using it a bunch! )

So, just wanted to add that as i am the original poster. Garmin did a great job fixing my complaints with the 20.

Cheers