Etrex 10/20/30 -help garmin with this "sticky" issue!

ChefRd2000

A side observation: It used to be when I commented or complained about something around here, some folks would disregard my opinion because no matter how many posts I had, I hadn't found very many geocaches. After I got up around 500 or so, I don't hear that argument as much.

Now, I don't want to disregard anyone's concern about this issue, but I have noticed the ones making the most comments on this seem to be folks who have found relatively few caches. There ARE a few high-find-count folks commenting also -- but the most comments are coming from low-find-count users.

Is it possible that experienced, high-count finders - even those who notice and acknowledge that low speed filtering and static navigation can cause problems -- just don't care? Because they know that's a reasonable limitation of the equipment and know how to work around it?

I used to have a Magellan SporTrak Pro that had the most amazing low-speed awareness. I could walk along and the position numbers would tick off second by second. I could stop moving and in a second or two it would report it was averaging my position. I could then slowly move the GPS from one hand into the other -- and it would STOP averaging and try to update. I had no idea how it did that but I was amazed and thought it was the coolest, best thing in the world And it had to be accurate within a distance smaller than I could move my hands apart, right?

Erm, not so much. Go read old threads on those devices and you'll read about the "sling-shot effect" -- and arguments that sound like the looking-glass version of this "sticky" argument. Some folks insisted it was terrible and made the GPS unusable, other said it didn't exist, other said it existed but wasn't a problem because they knew what to expect and how to deal with it.

The numbers reported by a GPS are best-guess from the math it's doing. My old SporTrak and my new eTrex used different somewhat maths and different ways of guessing, each imperfect in different ways.

Go out and find some more caches. Instead of complaining about the limitations of the GPS, learn what to expect and how to work with it. And after a few hundred outings, if it really and truly is impossible to use -- then return it, eBay it, get rid of it -- and go buy something else.

I have a few SportTrack Pro's and a ton of Meridians and while the " slingshot " effect is real with these units ( only fault I've ever found with one of the best geocaching GPS ) all you had to do was slow down as you approached GZ and wait a bit and you were back in the hunt......it was a problem on long fast walks.....short walks or P&G's were no problem. As you say their response while moving very slowly was incredible.

Make no mistake the " sticky " is real....I'm sort of a GPS collector and enjoy field testing them. What makes the " sticky " worse than the " slingshot " is that its easier to slow down and wait a bit then to speed up and keep triangulating....if you're on a rock pile, in a briar patch, or thick woods its sometimes impossible to get out of the " sticky " ( hiding caches is also affected of course ). What I find puzzling is the " sticky " may not show up for two outings where I find 30 caches each in all environments, some moving slowly under heavy canopy, etc then on the next outing I'm at the lake shore on a rock pile with tons of Sat's and clear overhead and I get the " sticky ".

We're not bringing anything back....my wife left her 60CSx for the 450 and I left my beloved Platinum for a 62S. While they can be frustrating at times with the " sticky " ( esp the 450 ) the overall features of the units make them fun and a joy to use. I will say if the hike is long and the woods thick I will pack an older unit just in case.

Go out and find some more caches. Instead of complaining about the limitations of the GPS, learn what to expect and how to work with it. And after a few hundred outings, if it really and truly is impossible to use -- then return it, eBay it, get rid of it -- and go buy something else.

Really? We should just shut up... And go away? We wouldn't want to come to a geocaching hardware forum... And talk about geocaching hardware. Hmmmm... I have some thoughts for you also.

JHolly, I did say "There ARE a few high-find-count folks commenting ..." and you're part of that group. Is it preventing you from being able to use the eTrex 30? If so, how much of an impairment is it? Engouh to make you stop using it and recommend something else? A serious aggravation you barely tolerate? Or just something you take into account and adjust your usage for?

If you have anything on that score, it would be better than "all I can say is 'me too' " -- because practical advice from a more experienced cacher is valuable.

As I've said, I find it aggravating , not a reason to return one but certainly not something that should " just be accepted " on a pricy , quality unit.

I will keep bumping the two " sticky " threads to the top of the list because its something Garmin should address. If you look through the threads on this forum there are few, if any, topics that address a negative issue affecting most all the newer units.

As I've said, I find it aggravating , not a reason to return one but certainly not something that should " just be accepted " on a pricy , quality unit.

I will keep bumping the two " sticky " threads to the top of the list because its something Garmin should address. If you look through the threads on this forum there are few, if any, topics that address a negative issue affecting most all the newer units.

I failed to mention in my original "I have the sticky problem" comment that it was only the first problem I experienced with my Etrex 30. I also found that a goto by road to a waypoint (100 miles) and a cache (3 miles) resulted in routes of many thousands of miles. It is very repeatable from many locations - near and far.

Additionally, I have no tones.

I am awaiting my replacement for the latter 2 problems.

The programmer/engineer experience in me says the sticky and routing errors may be related. Both end points that give the routing errors are off road and equi-distant from different roads. If I move the end point the smallest distance, all is fine. I deduce its going in circles trying to decide from which road do I go off road. Although the "sticky" issue occurs when actively using satellites and the routing error is using maps, the same last leg subroutines may be in use. That's my speculation.

Let see what happens when I have 2 Etrex 30's side by side!

Is it possible that experienced, high-count finders - even those who notice and acknowledge that low speed filtering and static navigation can cause problems -- just don't care? Because they know that's a reasonable limitation of the equipment and know how to work around it?

... you'll read about the "sling-shot effect" -- and arguments that sound like the looking-glass version of this "sticky" argument. ...

The numbers reported by a GPS are best-guess from the math it's doing. My old SporTrak and my new eTrex used different somewhat maths and different ways of guessing, each imperfect in different ways.

Yeah, I got some choice words for you too. Guess what ? Geocaching is not the only thing people use gprs for. I can guarantee that I have used mine more and for more varied applications that you ever will.

I have used a MeriCol for over 7 years, it has the "slingshot" BUT it is predictable. I recently acquired a 62s, initially I thought it was absolute garbage but decided that it was more to do with inexperience in using the device than the device itself. After now using it for a few weeks and having discovered the "sticky" effect I am returning to the MeriCol. The "sticky" effect is just not predictable which can really be annoying when some ones life depends on it.

Well I am not really giving up on the 62s it has some really neat features.

Edited by tttedzeins

I have a few SportTrack Pro's and a ton of Meridians and while the " slingshot " effect is real with these units ( only fault I've ever found with one of the best geocaching GPS ) all you had to do was slow down as you approached GZ and wait a bit and you were back in the hunt......it was a problem on long fast walks.....short walks or P&G's were no problem. As you say their response while moving very slowly was incredible.

Amen brother. Magellan should just have fixed a few quirks with these instead of going off and losing all those customers.

I may only have 50 finds over 4 years (Hey, life is hectic,) but I've used various GPSr's since, well, they've existed -- for work -- locating antenna systems. I've gotten used to +/- 20, 30, even 100 ft.

But when the Etrex 'sticks', I find +/- a quarter mile to be unacceptable. Sure, I could 'learn to work with it' but when it involves either:

A) Waiting about 10 minutes for the GPS to catch up.

B ) Cycling power.

Which, what was required for me to bring the darn thing back into line... Cycle power, BAM, coords jump 300'. Unacceptable. The programmer in me says "Hey, someone has the math buggered up, or forgot to reset a register..." We've all done it.

There's a distinct difference between a 'limitation' and a product flaw. As stated before, Garmin is notorious for making it's users beta testers. I'm OK with this -- it's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

Just got a recall notice from Ford in the mail. My wife's Escape needs the ABS unit worked on. They seem to be bursting into flames. Maybe instead of complaining about the limitations of the car, I should just learn what to expect and how to work with it. Really?

Latest Etrex update? So far, so good. Caching today. We'll see.

Edited by Ed_M

Ed, I don't think some programmer "had the math buggered up, or forgot to reset a register." I don't doubt the issue exists, but it's not prevalent enough for that. Look in this thread - some folks say it doesn't happen at all, even some who says it happen say it's unpredictable. While I'm pretty sure I've seen it once or twice, I haven't been able to reproduce it on demand with the methods suggested here. Maybe I don't walk slowly enough.

The old gag "it's not a bug, it's a feature" may well be the case here. Make the GPS too willing to update your position, and the pointer can wander even when you're standing still. Make it too cautious, apply too much smoothing, skeptical of small second-by-second changes -- and you sometimes lose valid but small updates. Over- for under- filtering; either could be considered a design flaw depending on your own usage.

I'm guessing all Garmin did on the 2.61 firmware update is modify a few cases and limits on when the GPS reports or ignores small changes. There could be downsides to that also. To me, it's a given that you can't make everybody happy - the design goal is utilitarian, just satisfy the biggest number you can. Let's see if anyone starts complaining the GPS reported position isn't stable when they're standing still, or that averaged waypoints take too long, or aren't as accurate.

---

Edit to add: Ed, I wrote the above BEFORE I read a post from you in another thread saying you observed the exact side effects of the firmware change that I suggested here. So you and I are probably on the same wavelength here.

:)

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Just thought I'd add my .02. Due to back surgery a few years ago, I walk slowly with a limp and I'm much slower when walking on uneven surfaces such as trails, etc. I have seen the "distance to next" numbers "freeze" on both my Oregon 450 and my 62s and I'll walk way beyond the cache. It doesn't happen all the time but if it does it's only when I really slow down. I've gotten use to looking for the cache as soon as I get near GZ and the "sticky" problem has not been much of a nuisance...but it does exist. I wouldn't want to see, however, some other feature compromised to correct this issue. I think both of these units are really great, otherwise.

Well I went out and tried the version 2.61 firmware. Much better but still needs some work. The stickyness is more of a stiffness, it responds, but sometimes it takes a while. But certainly far more usable that 2.6, but not quite up to my 76CSx. The GPS+GLONASS+WAAS is still a bad joke, 40 to 60 feet off from the GPS+WAAS, which seems to be pretty good. 3 out of 4 were under the usual NW cloud and tree cover, probably in a Kansas wheat field with blue skies and nary a cloud it probably is great. Switching from GPS+GLONASS+WAAS and back to GPS+WAAS blows it's mind and it takes a while to settle in, even with a power down reboot. At least I now have second thoughts about throwing it down the well.

Just thought I'd add my .02. Due to back surgery a few years ago, I walk slowly with a limp and I'm much slower when walking on uneven surfaces such as trails, etc. I have seen the "distance to next" numbers "freeze" on both my Oregon 450 and my 62s and I'll walk way beyond the cache. It doesn't happen all the time but if it does it's only when I really slow down. I've gotten use to looking for the cache as soon as I get near GZ and the "sticky" problem has not been much of a nuisance...but it does exist. I wouldn't want to see, however, some other feature compromised to correct this issue. I think both of these units are really great, otherwise.

I agree .....I try to walk as fast as I can to GZ........ and its usually right there :)

I agree .....I try to walk as fast as I can to GZ........ and its usually right there :)

LOL... I'm finally happy with my 20 again! All I had to do is stop using it to geocache. My BP has returned to normal.

I finish my video showing my device sticking a few days ago... I wasn't going to post it but changed my mind. I will upload it on my lunch break today. Will be interesting to see if other peoples 20/30 stick as bad as mine does. It's really not usable to geocache with in the rough.

A side observation: It used to be when I commented or complained about something around here, some folks would disregard my opinion because no matter how many posts I had, I hadn't found very many geocaches. After I got up around 500 or so, I don't hear that argument as much.

Now, I don't want to disregard anyone's concern about this issue, but I have noticed the ones making the most comments on this seem to be folks who have found relatively few caches. There ARE a few high-find-count folks commenting also -- but the most comments are coming from low-find-count users.

Is it possible that experienced, high-count finders - even those who notice and acknowledge that low speed filtering and static navigation can cause problems -- just don't care?

I think what you are seeing is a case where more seasoned cachers use their GPSr less than the newbies. When I first started caching, I spent a lot of time wandering around in circles staring at my GPSr. I see other newbies doing the exact same thing. Now when I cache, when I get to within 50 feet, I start to ignore the GPSr and start using my geo-sense.

So we DO care but I would guess that less of the seasoned geocachers have noticed this "sticky" effect because we don't stare at our GPSr as much as we used to.

Edited by GrnXnham

Is it possible that experienced, high-count finders - even those who notice and acknowledge that low speed filtering and static navigation can cause problems -- just don't care?

I think what you are seeing is a case where more seasoned cachers use their GPSr less than the newbies. When I first started caching, I spent a lot of time wandering around in circles staring at my GPSr. I see other newbies doing the exact same thing. Now when I cache, when I get to within 50 feet, I start to ignore the GPSr and start using my geo-sense.

So we DO care but I would guess that less of the seasoned geocachers have noticed this "sticky" effect because we don't stare at our GPSr as much as we used to.

The problem for me was that I had no idea when I was within 50ft. My eTrex 20 would get stuck 65ft out. Sometimes it would refresh the needle and distance to say I am 30ft out. But at that point, I had wandered around so much that I had no idea which way or how far to go. You get really turned around when your GPSr says you are 60-80 feet away and the compass needle is stuck. A woody hillside makes it even tougher to search for the cache. Here is my track for a cache where I kept wandering around.

gps_err3.jpg

It was the first time I had cached with the eTrex 20 and wasn't sure if there was a problem with me or the unit. As we all know, the unit is the problem. I had the same problem at another cache, where the pointer would get stuck and I would never get less than 30ft away.

I compared the eTrex 20 with my DeLorme PN-30, and the tracklogs definitely showed static navigation was an issue. The PN-30 had wandering when I was stopped or at low speeds, while the eTrex 20 showed little to no wandering. I hope the new eTrex firmware fixes the issue and makes geocaching fun again.

I've been going back and forth with Garmin for a few weeks. They will tell you to do a hard reboot of the unit. Then, they will tell you to remove the microSD card. I've done those things and am still having the sticking issue. I am requesting either my money back or replacement with a Dakota 20 which is now cheaper than the Etrex 30.

I've been going back and forth with Garmin for a few weeks. They will tell you to do a hard reboot of the unit. Then, they will tell you to remove the microSD card. I've done those things and am still having the sticking issue. I am requesting either my money back or replacement with a Dakota 20 which is now cheaper than the Etrex 30.

Ummmm, I assume you have tried the new firmware? Everyone else is reporting it fixed the problem.....

Ummmm, I assume you have tried the new firmware? Everyone else is reporting it fixed the problem.....

New firmware for the 10? Where'd you hear 'bout that?

I bought an Etrex 20 last December, and proceeded to lose it within a week because I left it on an airplane (don't ask....I still feel stupid for losing it). In my few days of actually possessing the GPSr, I do recall it being a little finicky with the few caches I searched for.

Until I got the Etrex 20, I was using a TomTom car navigation GPS as my caching GPSr....it works really well, but isn't paperless and the battery life is horrible (hence why I upgraded to the Etrex 20). You would think it would be much easier to find a cache with a GPSr that points an arrow toward the cache and tells you how far you need to go.....and yet I found walking around until the coordinates of my TomTom matched the coordinates on my cache printout list much easier. Something seems wrong with that to me....

I'm back on the market for a new GPSr, because I just can't live with the 2-4 hours of battery life the TomTom gives me. Paperless is also a big plus for me because I travel a lot and just want to preload caches and not have to worry about printouts. However, I'm VERY hesitant to get another Etrex 20 based on this "sticky" issue. It sounds like what I was experiencing, and those few caches were not much fun for me because of it.

Here's to hoping the new firmware fixes the problem. I'll be watching this thread closely to see how everyone's experience with the update goes. Hope it works!!!

The problem for me was that I had no idea when I was within 50ft. My eTrex 20 would get stuck 65ft out. Sometimes it would refresh the needle and distance to say I am 30ft out. But at that point, I had wandered around so much that I had no idea which way or how far to go. You get really turned around when your GPSr says you are 60-80 feet away and the compass needle is stuck. A woody hillside makes it even tougher to search for the cache. Here is my track for a cache where I kept wandering around.

gps_err3.jpg

It was the first time I had cached with the eTrex 20 and wasn't sure if there was a problem with me or the unit. As we all know, the unit is the problem. I had the same problem at another cache, where the pointer would get stuck and I would never get less than 30ft away.

I compared the eTrex 20 with my DeLorme PN-30, and the tracklogs definitely showed static navigation was an issue. The PN-30 had wandering when I was stopped or at low speeds, while the eTrex 20 showed little to no wandering. I hope the new eTrex firmware fixes the issue and makes geocaching fun again.

From what I've been reading the " sticky " seems a bit worse on the etrex than on the 450 and 62S....at times they will get stuck in that 60-80 foot la-la land though.

Edited by BAMBOOZLE

gps_err3.jpg

From what I've been reading the " sticky " seems a bit worse on the etrex than on the 450 and 62S....at times they will get stuck in that 60-80 foot la-la land though.

Hopefully ... One fixed will help all of them.

Hmmmm, lack of experience, I think the only experience lacking is the experience of owning and living with a GPS that sticks. I first encountered the sticky issue with a Colorado, talk about being used as a beta tester. I'm talking freezing up 40-50 meters, not feet, meters. Not much fun when caching with a group and they stop to sign the cache and your still walking hoping it unfreezes. Getting verbal jabs like; "Throw the rig away!", "Get a real GPS!!",or I'm saying to myself "Oh look, I'm walking in the lake". Inexperience my a**. Pure and simple firmware/hardware issues. Had to carry my 60Cx as a backup. The sticky issue is documented and not a matter of experience or lack of. It's real and very aggravating. Even the Legend HCx had issues with the compass indicating the opposite directionas one got closer to the cache.

Garmin like many companies is locked in a business model of producing new models regardless of the state of their current models. Like waging a war on to many fronts, a losing proposition.

look at companies that are big and successful yet their product lineup is small. Prime example is Apple.

Hey Garmin, if you actually read this I'll make you a deal. You fix the sticky issues, I'll buy a second one within 72 hours if you or a lackey of yours replies with details about the fix to this thread. It all starts with one.. :grin: .

PS I returned the first one cause of the sticky and other problems.

Edited by MotorBug

Have the sticky GPS and compass recalibration issues been fixed?

More or less. I still have times when the gizmo is just plain obstinate, like pointing in the opposite direction while the distance still counts down. Some times it just points off into space, so I have to follow the count down. Next cache it is fine.

Have the sticky GPS and compass recalibration issues been fixed?

For me the compass is pretty unreliable. Fortunately I now usually notice when it needs recalibrating. This can sometimes be twice within 5 minutes and up to 5 times within an hour. I'm not sure if I've ever had a trip where I've not needed to recalibrate.

For me the compass is pretty unreliable. Fortunately I now usually notice when it needs recalibrating. This can sometimes be twice within 5 minutes and up to 5 times within an hour. I'm not sure if I've ever had a trip where I've not needed to recalibrate.

How can Garmin market the compass as a usuable feature with this type of problem.

How can Garmin market the compass as a usuable feature with this type of problem.

Some users don't report it being this bad and some users report it as being fine. The first 30 I had was sent back because of a fault with the sound and it also had compass issues.

Etrex 20 in UK. I have not been able to find any problem when using compass on geocaching apart from the rare occasion under heavy cover the signal is lost for a very short distance. Found overall to be very very accurate,taking me to within a couple of feet of most caches GZ.

Sticky is fixed - even with Glonass on - unfortunately a lot of other things aren't...

Yes... It's not perfect. And I wish I could spend a few hours with garmin and show them why. The sticky issue was a deal breaker... Just about everything else I can work around.

So... Until something better comes along, I'm enjoying my etrex 20!

Sticky is NOT fixed, I bought an eTrex30 a couple of weeks ago (not realising that there was a design flaw/fault) and updated it as soon as I got to Ver2.80 (which is still the latest version) and the compass has never worked properly even right after a calibration. After reading the numerous forums about the 'sticky' issue I now realise why I have been having problems with the unit not updating it's distance or compass direction to a waypoint - the unit is flawed.

I am extremely disappointed because I bought the 30 over the 20 specifically because it had an electronic compass.

Tufty B, I had problems originally, even posted a youtube video showing the sticky problem "in the field", but I've not had it with 2.80, and now I'm using 2.87 and the only issue I've found is the compass calibration is a bit sensitive, it took 2 attempts instead of the usual one when I changed batteries. For caching it's been faultless, give it a try

Sticky is NOT fixed, I bought an eTrex30 a couple of weeks ago (not realising that there was a design flaw/fault) and updated it as soon as I got to Ver2.80 (which is still the latest version) and the compass has never worked properly even right after a calibration. After reading the numerous forums about the 'sticky' issue I now realise why I have been having problems with the unit not updating it's distance or compass direction to a waypoint - the unit is flawed.

I am extremely disappointed because I bought the 30 over the 20 specifically because it had an electronic compass.

FWIW, 2.87 does *not* show up on webupdate. You need to down load the .exe file and update from there.