Geocheck problems (again)

Navi-Gatr

Has anyone been experiencing problems with Geocheck.org this afternoon?

I am getting the following error message:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /geo_inputchkcoord.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

when I try to access it either directly or through the links on any of my Mystery caches.

thanks

Navi-Gatr

Geocheck.org allows one (well, at least me) the ability to put free text in a message to the person who solves it. With that, I can put hide instructions, actual final coordinates, or whatever...with the dot com one, its just confirmation of the coordinates. Perhaps there is a way, but that is my reason I like the dot org.

I get the feeling that .org site has been org'd. This sucks because I have used that checker on all of my unknown caches. However, I have found a checker my brother in CA uses called CertitudeThis site can keep track of the cachers attempting to solve your puzzle caches. Its not as good as checker.org as I liked to add photos on my solution pages but I guess beggers cant be choosers. I hope .org makes it back, but juding by the 403 Forbidden error code, I am not getting my hopes up.

It looks like what happens when you don't pay the server bill. I wondered who ran this checker and how it was funded. I agree it is a nice checker and the stat info is great. I'd be happy to chip in a few dollars for its use.

I found an owner for the site in Whois but their email bounces back so that was a deadend.

The nameservers are those of Moniker.net but they too are the registrant and administrator for geochecker.org--this doesn't look so good.

Edited by Brooklyn51

no love for evince? :surprise:

Is that the one that only allows one check per 10 minutes and then blocks you for an hour after 3 tries or something?

Yep. I personally hate Evinence for that reason. I guess they're trying to stop people from brute force solving, but I just find it to be a pain in my posterior personally.

I have contacted the owner of geocheck.org. Here is his reply:

Yes, unfortunately, GeoCheck has become so popular, that I have been using too many resources according to my hosting service. Thus, I am in the process of moving the server and hope to have it up and running in the next 12-24 hours.

Yes, unfortunately, GeoCheck has become so popular, that I have been using too many resources according to my hosting service. Thus, I am in the process of moving the server and hope to have it up and running in the next 12-24 hours.

lol...I guess he has made a good product then!!!

Great news!

Great news!!

I'm going to assume the 'move' shouldn't involve any changes for us.....assuming the data & domain is the same. He's just changing host sites... But I guess we'll wait and see.

I'm having problems with gechecker.com as well.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User simusi_mysql already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/simusi/public_html/index.php on line 416

Could not connect : User simusi_mysql already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

I'm having problems with gechecker.com as well.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User simusi_mysql already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/simusi/public_html/index.php on line 416

Could not connect : User simusi_mysql already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

Too many CO's switching over. I just posted this on my caches

Geochecker.com and Geocheck.org are both down for now. If they are not working within a day or two I will try to find another service. Until then please feel free to contact me about this puzzle.

Is that the one that only allows one check per 10 minutes and then blocks you for an hour after 3 tries or something?

that be it and thats the only one i use. while theres a few others with more options what good are they when you can hammer them. thanks but no thanks.

I just tried to Google geocheck.org and this is the message I received:

"Unfortunately, GeoCheck has become so popular, my service provider shutdown the site due to inappropriate CPU/RAM usage. I am working hard to restore service ASAP.

A status update:

A generous offer by the Danish geocaching community seemed promising: They had a server they did not use any longer, which they offered me. Unfortunately, this server has no gettext functionality, which is used throughout GeoCheck to translate the site and have no plans to implement gettext globally.

I am enquiring whether Coolhandle (the service provider of the new server) can upgrade the server to a solution allowing custom php builds.

I am also enquiring as to the price of upgrading my package with the old service provider; Site5, who are also preparing a backup file to allow me to transfer GeoCheck to a service provider of my choice.

Ultimately, a new server of my own would be desireable, however I only have 1 mbit upload with my current ISP, and no experience at all setting up a custom server. Thus, the latter solution is not suitable for the current crisis.

I hope to restore the service as soon as possible, and apologize for the outage!"

So I wonder if that is also the problem going on with geochecker.com.

that be it and thats the only one i use. while theres a few others with more options what good are they when you can hammer them. thanks but no thanks.

I'm pretty sure the actual number of people using scripts or other brute force methods to gain puzzle coords without solving them is pretty minimal.

It's Back!

from the Geocheck welcome page:

"GeoCheck is live once more thanks to Ganja from Sweden who has kindly agreed to host GeoCheck! He has a very interesting site called Project Geocaching. Please check it out!"

Woo Hoo!!!

Everything looks great.

Thanks Ganja!!

Edited by Totem Clan

Take a read over here

Groundspeak does not operate Geocchecker. You will need to contact the developers of that tool.

just realised that geocheck is not on my cache page anymore went to www.geocheck.org which led me to this(hopefully they get it up and running again, so many puzzle caches are dependent on it):

Server outage

Unfortunately, GeoCheck has become so popular, my service provider shutdown the site due to inappropriate CPU/RAM usage. I am working hard to restore service ASAP.

A status update:

A generous offer by the Danish geocaching community seemed promising: They had a server they did not use any longer, which they offered me. Unfortunately, this server has no gettext functionality, which is used throughout GeoCheck to translate the site and have no plans to implement gettext globally.

I am enquiring whether Coolhandle (the service provider of the new server) can upgrade the server to a solution allowing custom php builds.

I am also enquiring as to the price of upgrading my package with the old service provider; site5, who are also preparing a backup file to allow me to transfer GeoCheck to a service provider of my choice.

Ultimately, a new server of my own would be desireable, however I only have 1 mbit upload with my current ISP, and no experiece at all setting up a custom server. Thus, the latter solution is not suitable for the current crisis.

I hope to restore the service as soon as possible, and apologize for the outage!

(So I don't think that it's working anywhere atm)

evince...sure it works great if you get your guess right the first time, but if you need a few attempts because you are dealing with a puzzle which by nature has many possibilities or is very obscure, its a pain.

Well then the owner should use the atom bombs and horseshoes option then you can select how far off the coords can be and still green light. I have one puzzle that uses that option.

My issue with not being able to edit my solutions has been fixed by Samuel. I had an apostrophe in my puzzle and a minor tweak fixed that issue and the new server. This is a great relief that it is back up and running and prtobably under valued by Geocachers.

Many thanks Samuel for your fast fix of my problem

Bernie :D

Edited by Bernie The Geocacher