GPSMAP 60CSx vs. GPSMAP 62

Greetings all -

I was writing to ask if any of you have owned both the GPSMAP 60CSx and the GPSMAP 62xx and can speak to any buyers remorse over the newer model. I have read a few things that scare me away from the 62 on some review sites, but I'd like to hear from actual owners and their experiences.

Thanks in advance!

I have owned a 60Cx and was very pleased with it's ability to retain signal in some difficult areas (Trees etc) but wanted to go paperless so purchased an Oregon 300. The Oregon was great for the paperless and having OS maps but it doid tend to drop signal when in wooded area so I did a test with bothe the 60Cx and the Oregon together. Both started out at +/- 8ft but as I ventured in to the woods the Oregon dropped out as far as +/- 21ft whilst the 60Cx never dropped to worse than +/- 14ft. So I took the plunge and got a 62s and did the test again but with all three units running, the wife held the Oregon. The results were the same as before with the 62s matching the 60Cx.

Sold both the Oregon and the 60Cx and now happy to go paperless caching with OS maps on the 62s.

I "upgraded" from a 60CSx to a 62s when I trashed my 60 during an off-road excursion on a quad. I put "upgraded" in quotes because these 2 GPS units are different animals. Sure, they look similar on the outside, but the interface is very different. At first I was doubting the upgrade, and considered returning the 62 and getting another 60, but I forced myself to get used to it, and now a year later I'm happy. The "paperless" features are really nice, and being able to hold 10,000 caches instead of 1,000 is awesome for someone that travels as much as I do,

If you're not moving from a 60 to a 62 then the interface changes are not an issue.

The 62 did have some issues in some older versions of the firmware, but the latest has been quite stable. The crashes and lockups are virtually non-existent now.

One thing I would advise is don't waste your money on the "t" version with included topo maps. They aren't very good. Buy a unit without maps and buy a good set of maps separately. I bought the latest version of City Navigator and got some free topo maps online. Been very happy with both. Sure I don't get the fancy shading on the topo map, but that's all it is: fancy. Regular topo maps work just fine.

I don't understand the "early adopter" comment - the 62 has been out for over a year now.

I "upgraded" from a 60CSx to a 62s when I trashed my 60 during an off-road excursion on a quad. I put "upgraded" in quotes because these 2 GPS units are different animals. Sure, they look similar on the outside, but the interface is very different. At first I was doubting the upgrade, and considered returning the 62 and getting another 60, but I forced myself to get used to it, and now a year later I'm happy. The "paperless" features are really nice, and being able to hold 10,000 caches instead of 1,000 is awesome for someone that travels as much as I do,

If you're not moving from a 60 to a 62 then the interface changes are not an issue.

The 62 did have some issues in some older versions of the firmware, but the latest has been quite stable. The crashes and lockups are virtually non-existent now.

One thing I would advise is don't waste your money on the "t" version with included topo maps. They aren't very good. Buy a unit without maps and buy a good set of maps separately. I bought the latest version of City Navigator and got some free topo maps online. Been very happy with both. Sure I don't get the fancy shading on the topo map, but that's all it is: fancy. Regular topo maps work just fine.

I don't understand the "early adopter" comment - the 62 has been out for over a year now.

Be careful when talking about the 62 vs. 62s. The 62 doesn't have a microSD card slot, barometer or compass. The 62s has all those features.

Regarding the "t". You can get better topo maps for free (or a donation) at GPSfileDepot. However the "t" also comes with elevation grid data (DEMs) that permit 3d perspective views and more detailed hill shading.

I upgraded from a 76CSx (the aquatic version of the 60CSx) to the 62s. I did have a problem with the most recent software upgrade to v 3.8, but have returned to 3.6 with no other problems. My one big complaint between the two is the inability of the 62s to hide/display POIs at different screen resolutions than caches. I have a few thousand POIs that I want to have loaded and ready to find, but I just don't want to see them. The 60/76 had a feature that would allow different display levels, the 62s displays them all the same. Makes for a busy map. Otherwise, I'm learning to love it! The paperless is so much better than my "PDA alternative", it's a solid GPS, and my experience is it's just a bit better with reception and accuracy. Otherwise, its a keeper!

My one big complaint between the two is the inability of the 62s to hide/display POIs at different screen resolutions than caches. I have a few thousand POIs that I want to have loaded and ready to find, but I just don't want to see them.

I've found if you use the "auto" setting, then POIs are only shown when really zoomed in tight, while caches still show up at medium zoom. But if you choose a specific maximum zoom level, then yes, it applies to both.

I own a map60CSx which is a great unit, I upgraded from a GPS60. I have no complaint with it except...from time to time the compass becomes erratic when leading me to caches. I find I have to stop what I'm doing and recalibrate the compass then start searching again and it works perfectly. Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

I own a map60CSx which is a great unit, I upgraded from a GPS60. I have no complaint with it except...from time to time the compass becomes erratic when leading me to caches. I find I have to stop what I'm doing and recalibrate the compass then start searching again and it works perfectly. Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

Thats a fairly common problem with the 60 CSx.....for no reason it will point opposite or go bananas....many times on the trial I have seen folks spinning the 60 CSx in their palms :).....mine has done it half a dozen times.

Its a great unit but no unit is perfect.

Thats a fairly common problem with the 60 CSx.....for no reason it will point opposite or go bananas....many times on the trial I have seen folks spinning the 60 CSx in their palms :).....mine has done it half a dozen times.

Its a great unit but no unit is perfect.

Well, it's not really a "problem". It has been recommended for years that you re-calibrate the compass (that's that spinning the gizmo in your palm thing) with every battery change-out (although I've seldom seen a true need for that) or when moving a good distance between locations. For instance, when we go from Texas to visit family in Miss., I'll re-calibrate my compass as soon as I get there if flying, or if driving, I'll re-calibrate every couple hundred miles or so.

That being said, there are times I forget or I go a LONG time between re-calibrations and my compass starts acting a little goofy. I just do a quick re-calibration and all's better.

All-in-all, I've been extremely happy with my 60csx and if/when it croaks I will try to find another to replace it. I have too many friends that made the jump to the 62 line that are very unhappy with the interface (many more actions required to simply mark a cache as found and select the next one), all the lockups, and how the equipment seems to wear faster (rubber surfaces, esp buttons, wearing out very quickly).