what do the kids really love right now?

We don't have children and are never around any, so we have no idea what's "in" right now. We'd love to purchase and drop off some swag that will make kids go, "Oh, COOL!" when the cache is opened. We'd like some of the items to be somewhat educational, and some to be just plain fun. What are some cache-appropriate items that would be a hit with the young-uns? We see so many plastic rings, dinosaurs, and Mardi-Gras-bead necklaces around here. Do the kids actually like those best, or can we do better?

My daughter is almost six, and she always grabs the beads or bracelets. At that age, she's not very discriminating, although if there is a choice between a "clean" looking necklace and a busted up filthy one, I steer her toward the decent one. As long as it's clean, I think the beads are OK for most younger girls. Dollar store hotwheels cars in the packages are good too.

My 10 YO is really into those trackable things that we can't discuss on this site because they are not trackable here, and are alternative to geocoins and TB's. We also leave coupons for free fries at a local resturant when we have any. Any kind of coin type items, like coins from other Countrys. When my children were smaller they really loved Matchbox cars. :)

My 10 YO is really into those trackable things that we can't discuss on this site because they are not trackable here, and are alternative to geocoins and TB's. We also leave coupons for free fries at a local resturant when we have any. Any kind of coin type items, like coins from other Countrys. When my children were smaller they really loved Matchbox cars. :)

Oh you mean PATHTAGS?? LOL (/runs away from sandy)

Oh you mean PATHTAGS?? LOL (/runs away from sandy)

Yes, those things. My avatar is my personal one.

So to summarize anything shiny. I hid a cache a year or so ago when Silly bands were big. Back then they were easy to find and cheap. A couple months ago I had to track some down and they were a little more pricy. Luckily my mom is kind of a hoarder and she gave me a giant bag of McToys so I have been using those as swag for some time. (A lot were still in the packaging)

Thanks for the replies! Looks like we're on the right track. We already leave beads and coins (dollars or half-dollars). Never thought toy cars would be that popular--we promptly went out and bought some! Also picked up some nice shiny geodes and fool's gold pieces from our local environmental education center.

Even though we won't be around, of course, when some kids find the swag in the future, it's always nice to envision making people (especially young people) happy. :)

Since our "baby" is almost 21yo I was kind of wondering the same thing. Thanks for the topic!

We'll be heading out for our (usual) full day of geocaching & will stop past the store to pick up some of the things mentioned. A lot of the local caches aren't even big enough for hot wheel type cars but since we'll be going away from this area hopefully we find some caches larger than nano & micro.

I have made lots of miniature things from polymer clay that we'll take along as well (placing them & a little note in their own zippy-bag).