How to delete duplicate finds

budbon

Would 'some reason' happen to be because you are using a smartphone?

You need to be careful with these little beasties...they will tell you the log didn't go through when it actually did!

In my experience the best way to avoid this is to use the 'Field Notes' option and post the real log sometime later (from the comfort of the couch). If there are duplicate field notes, you just delete the extras.

I thought I had deleted all of the duplicate finds. Are the ones listed below still duplicates?

Got it, thanks.

GCQM1P 2 finds

GC2N3E5 2 finds

GC2PA38 5 finds

GC1P83E 2 finds

GC1Q2T3 2 finds

GC1ZX7R 2 finds

GCRA4V 2 finds

GCJF5Q 2 finds

GC2J0M6 2 finds

GC2BYB5 2 finds

GC2MY4B 2 finds

I thought I had deleted all of the duplicate finds. Are the ones listed below still duplicates?

Yep. I just checked your stats, and it says:

"budbon has found 86 caches (72 distinct)"

Which indicates there are still duplicate logs. I just brought up GC2PA38 (the one with 5 finds) and they're all still there. Also, for the first one (GCQM1P), you logged it as found twice, then logged a DNF 3 days later!

And now you have duplicate posts! :D (You can't delete duplicate posts, so don't worry about it.)

To delete duplicate "found it" logs, you need to go to your log(s) on the cache page, and click "View / Edit log / Images" at the bottom right of your log entry.

Click that link, and it will open a new window, showing just your log.

Click the "Delete Log" link at the top right side.

You will then be taken to another new window, where you will be asked "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?" Click "yes" if you're serious about it.

You will need to repeat the process for each duplicate log individually.

Edited by Pup Patrol

If you have the list of caches where you've got duplicate logs, then just use the normal Hide & Seek page, and plunk in the GC codes:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Once you are on a cache page, you can use your browser's "edit > find on this page" function to find your username.

Be patient when you've deleted the logs and give the system a chance to reflect the changes.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Nope didn't work. I have gotten to the page and clicked on delete buttge log remains. Not a very intuitive process.

Can you describe exactly what you're doing? What pages are you going to and what links are you clicking on?

Once you get to the cache page (the one that has the coordinates, description, map, etc.), you can scroll down to get to the list of logs. Look for your logs, then click the "View / Edit log / Images" link on one of the duplicate ones. Then continue with Pup Patrol's instructions 5 posts above.

I did as Pup Patrol said. It seemed to work on a couple but now when I click on my Field Notes I gar the message "No logs have been found for your account at this time." Sheeeesh!

I am reasonably computer literate but maneuvering around this site seems akward to me. Now I sit with no field notes. Earlier I tried to find instructions concerning deleting multi enteries and had to come to the forum. Maybe my computer literacy is in the bucket.

Having said that, I appreciate the help all of you have given.

I did as Pup Patrol said. It seemed to work on a couple but now when I click on my Field Notes I gar the message "No logs have been found for your account at this time." Sheeeesh!

I am reasonably computer literate but maneuvering around this site seems akward to me. Now I sit with no field notes. Earlier I tried to find instructions concerning deleting multi enteries and had to come to the forum. Maybe my computer literacy is in the bucket.

Having said that, I appreciate the help all of you have given.

I'm not sure why you're concerned with "field notes", because I don't use them and I'm not sure what they have to do with anything.

If it worked for some of the caches, it should work for the others where you've posted multiple logs.

Once you've deleted the extraneous log(s) for a cache, go back to the cache page and hit "refresh".

Also, check your statistics page on your profile. At this point in time, there still seems to be 14 extra logs.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=eff12547-c382-4982-bbf2-557f23612ec2

budbon has found 94 caches (80 distinct) since 07/22/2010.

edited to correct a mighty serious addition error

Edited by Pup Patrol

I did as Pup Patrol said. It seemed to work on a couple but now when I click on my Field Notes I gar the message "No logs have been found for your account at this time."

Field notes are not logs. Field notes are just a temporary place-holder that need to later be converted to logs. The issue in question here is dealing with logs, not field notes.

To delete your duplicate logs, you need to go to the individual cache pages that you logged multiple times (see GC codes above).

Go to the front page (www.geocaching.com) and put one of these GC codes into the search box under "Step 1: Browse". It will take you to that cache page.

Scroll down to the log section at the bottom. Look for your logs.

Once you find a duplicate log, click the "View / Edit log / Images" link associated with that log.

Then click "Delete Log". It will ask "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?", to which you'll click Yes.

If there were other duplicate logs on that same cache, go back and delete those too.

Then go back to the front page again and repeat for the other caches.

Since you all are being so nice and helping out, I have a similar problem perhaps you can give me some advise.

Somehow in the past few weeks I duplicated a cache find. My profile says 2604 with 2603 distinct finds. I tried downloading a "My Finds" query and loading it Gsak and that file has only 2603. How do I find that one dupelicate log?

I have scanned the last 2 months logs and can't locate it but I did find 465 last month so it makes going one by one difficult. I know that my finds and distinct were okay at some point last month.

Thanks!

Edited by klipsch49er
I tried downloading a "My Finds" query and loading it Gsak and that file has only 2603. How do I find that one dupelicate log?

Set Filter >> Logs >> Required Count >> Greater than or equal to 2

and Log Types: Found it

If your Finds database also contains logs by other people, you'll also need to set your own handle under Logged By at the bottom of the same tab

I tried downloading a "My Finds" query and loading it Gsak and that file has only 2603. How do I find that one dupelicate log?

If your Finds database also contains logs by other people, you'll also need to set your own handle under Logged By at the bottom of the same tab

Option 2. Add the column FCount and sort on that column. (Tools, Options, Display tab, add a check in the box next to 'found count')

Option 2. Add the column FCount and sort on that column. (Tools, Options, Display tab, add a check in the box next to 'found count')

Yep that was a good way also. Thanks! Now I get to figure out why my count on GSAK and Geocaching.com is different from my geocache_visits.txt in my Oregon. Every time I log a find from my Oregon to Geocaching.com I add a cache find numer note to each find on my geocache_visits.txt file in the Oregon. That way I know I entered all of them. yet another mystery. If I could only learn to be a good date entry person I wouldn;t have these problems! :D