How do I ... Find the missing forums?

MikeAndHike

I was browsing in "The Hunt" clicked back to go back to the thread list and nothing there. I got redirected to the main forum list and "The Hunt" along with a few others have just disappeared. I am just hoping that a Mod or Groundspeak employee can clarify. I couldn't find any info in the announcements forum to suggest this was planned. I may have missed it though. Help please!!

I was browsing in "The Hunt" clicked back to go back to the thread list and nothing there. I got redirected to the main forum list and "The Hunt" along with a few others have just disappeared. I am just hoping that a Mod or Groundspeak employee can clarify. I couldn't find any info in the announcements forum to suggest this was planned. I may have missed it though. Help please!!

Same happened to me.

In the future, please notify users before significant changes. Thanks.

No data has been lost; only a rearrangement of threads and topics to bring more coherence to the layout.

I get that sir, I really do. It is still a significant change that users should have been notified about. If I went and changed a directory structure on a file server and told users after the fact that "the data is still there, just rearranged" and didnt tell them, again, I would lose my job. I am not trying to be a PITA here, I just think this is a change that people should have been made aware of. I won't harp on that anymore, but please be understading of that in the future.

I wonder whether the Earthcachers will be happy about being a "related topic" :rolleyes:

They'll probably all want to commit geocide. You should probably pin the geocide questionnaire topic in the Earthcaches forum, Moun10Bike, I have a feeling we're going to need it.:P

Seriously, if the Earthcachers spend more than a moment getting upset about the letters "GPS" being removed from the name of the category their forum is in, they might want to think about getting out more.

The vice-president of IT for the company that I work with has a motto, "NO SURPRISES!". He is a very reasonable guy, as long as you don't breach that one thing. Don't spring something on him. Something gets sprung on us all too often here.

The vice-president of IT for the company that I work with has a motto, "NO SURPRISES!". He is a very reasonable guy, as long as you don't breach that one thing. Don't spring something on him. Something gets sprung on us all too often here.

I have been working in IT for 20 years now. Informing people of changes you are making is a very basic rule. Going an extra mile and discussing a change at least with co-workers or putting it through a chnage review process is even better (actually required in most places). I like to go a little further and include principal users or user representatives in the change process - usually non technical people, to bring in their persepctives on potential changes. This goes beyond "surprises" and allows my group to be sensible in the changes we do make so we aren;t just seeing it from a techs point of view.

I don't mean to harp on this (even though I am) but the change made yesterday was unaccetable in how it was executed. While it would be nice to have a discussion and take a vote on the structure and areas of the forum, at the very least, just let people know before hand "Hey all, we will be rearranging the forums at 5pm pst on XX date. Here is a list of forums that will be going away, this is the new structure." That would have satisfied me. No, I don;t like what they did, but at least I would have known.

I am not totally convinced that Groundspeak employees are partcularly learned in standard customer service. Personally I think they have too many young hipster types that are in crucial decision making roles and do not have proper experience when mkaing the decisions they make. Still a very good company and offers a dadgum good product.

Edited by nthacker66

Why do challenges* get three subforums under their own header, while Earthcaches (which are quite a bit more popular) get only a single subforum under the "Related Topics" header?

Combine all the challenges* threads into one "Challenges" subforum and stick it in "Related Topics". That would further declutter the forums.

* lower-case "c" to help differentiate them from actual "Challenge caches" which have been around for years.

I won't harp on that anymore,

and yet... <_<

Just in case anyone's keeping score, I was not disturbed in the least by the changes.

I especially think this forum is a great idea!

The only thing I have ever complained about is when a mod pulls a topic which I only would have seen in the general forums off into some obscure corner.

Looks like our generous overlords have given us back the hiking sub-forum!

Yay! That was the one thing I didn't like about the rearranging: having the hiking sub-forum merged into General topics. And now that the hiking forum is back, I think it all looks good.

Edited by mertat