randomly losing forum areas

nthacker66

Those forums have been deleted to help declutter the main page.

They were there a few minutes agi now are gone?

Yes. That's all the time it takes to delete a forum.

Golly gee. Ya think? I have worked in IT for 20 years. I know how it "technically" works, but I also know that you don't go pulling content or making changes without notifying the users, in our case the PAYING USERS. So please, if you want to help then great I thank you. If not, then please ignore this thread.

Generally I like the decluttering there were a bunch of redundant threads. Though I miss the hiking thread.

Miss it lol. It was there 10 mins ago. It would be nice if GS would let us know they were going to nuke entire areas.

It was my last trip on the forum in the evenings and was about to head over there now only to find it gone.

Like I said before, I think we need to wait for someone from GS to make a statement before we get to worked up. I hope they answer my How Do I thread. It is possible that their is just a bug in a reorganization. In the past GS has placed "deleted" subforums in the read only section. The don't generally just "nuke" them. Let's hope we get some good clean info soon.

Yeah and I don't understand deleting active forums. You would think that hiking is more relevant to geocaching than ham radio. Yet the ham radio forum is still there. I hope this is just a reorganization and that our beloved sub forums will reappear.

The Ham Radio forums were probably kept because Ham Radio operators are highly respected for their responsibility to assist in emergency communications in disaster areas.

The hiking forum might have been active, but it was redundant since the discussion in there could also be carried out in the General Discussion forum.

Like I said before, I think we need to wait for someone from GS to make a statement before we get to worked up. I hope they answer my How Do I thread. It is possible that their is just a bug in a reorganization. In the past GS has placed "deleted" subforums in the read only section. The don't generally just "nuke" them. Let's hope we get some good clean info soon.

Just the IT person in me "getting worked up" If I went and made changes to a system I support without notifying my customers, I can lose my job. Much less have to hear yelling and screaming about it. I pay for this service, I at least expect GS to notify us before making big changes like this.

Yeah and I don't understand deleting active forums. You would think that hiking is more relevant to geocaching than ham radio. Yet the ham radio forum is still there. I hope this is just a reorganization and that our beloved sub forums will reappear.

The Ham Radio forums were probably kept because Ham Radio operators are highly respected for their responsibility to assist in emergency communications in disaster areas.

The hiking forum might have been active, but it was redundant since the discussion in there could also be carried out in the General Discussion forum.

Yes and brain surgeons perform life aving operations on people. Why don't we have a forum for them. Hiking is more relevent to geocaching then ham radio is.

Edited by nthacker66
Just the IT person in me "getting worked up" If I went and made changes to a system I support without notifying my customers, I can lose my job. Much less have to hear yelling and screaming about it. I pay for this service, I at least expect GS to notify us before making big changes like this.

I've always been under the impression that IT people could make whatever changes to a system they wanted whenever they wanted, and they'll never lose their job because the company can't operate without them.

Yes and brain surgeons perform life aving operations on people. Why don't we have a forum for them.

That analogy's ridiculous. Ham radio has as much to do with geocaching as hiking does. Some cachers use Ham radio to communicate in the field while caching, just as some cachers go caching while backpacking

There's no need to get excited, that just seems like the most logical reason why Groundspeak did what they did. I think both forums are unnecessary myself.

I've always been under the impression that IT people could make whatever changes to a system they wanted whenever they wanted, and they'll never lose their job because the company can't operate without them.

Yes and brain surgeons perform life aving operations on people. Why don't we have a forum for them.

That analogy's ridiculous. Ham radio has as much to do with geocaching as hiking does. Some cachers use Ham radio to communicate in the field while caching, just as some cachers go caching while backpacking

There's no need to get excited, that just seems like the most logical reason why Groundspeak did what they did. I think both forums are unnecessary myself.

Yep, I see plenty of cachers who are licensed radio operators carrying handheld HAM's all the time (or are they cell phones?)

I need to remind myself you are a teenage boy and have the answers to everything, so I yield all great and wise prodigal child, thou shalt have thy last word! :laughing:

Just another case of the random mixmaster at work.

Didn't you ever go into a store (like target or walmart) and ALL the departments had moved to another part of the store?

If you had something to post, by the time you find the relevant section to post it, you will have forgotten what you had to say.

Or perhaps just another way to waste time and not fix the things that really need fixing.