Netscape Problems

PDOP's

I've been noticing for a while that some pages on the forums are slow to load and then when finished loading the page would remain blank for several seconds before displaying normally. It's reached the point tonight that most pages are remaining blank (white page) and never displaying.

Has anyone else run into this problem when using Netscape 4.7? All my other surfing seems to go OK.

Mike

ps I'm using IE6 to post this.

Yep! I noticed earlier that I could get the Groundspeak Forums main page and I could get into a particular topic in a forum through the last message link on the main page, but I couldn't get into a forum from the main page (I got blank pages). I also am using Netscape 4.7.

I came back to try to get in again and saw this message, so I'm in your topic and can reply, but if someone replies to this and I'm not reloading the Forum main page to see that reply as the last message, I'll not be able to get in to read the reply! icon_rolleyes.gif

Yep! I noticed earlier that I could get the Groundspeak Forums main page and I could get into a particular topic in a forum through the last message link on the main page, but I couldn't get into a forum from the main page (I got blank pages). I also am using Netscape 4.7.

I came back to try to get in again and saw this message, so I'm in your topic and can reply, but if someone replies to this and I'm not reloading the Forum main page to see that reply as the last message, I'll not be able to get in to read the reply! icon_rolleyes.gif

"It's something about the tables. Netscape 4.7x takes forever to figure out how to lay them out, but does eventually wake up from its coma and display something."

Interesting. So do we know why it's only started being a problem in the last couple of weeks? Has OpenTopic made some changes behind the scenes that's causing this?? Is it permanent? icon_frown.gif

"It's something about the tables. Netscape 4.7x takes forever to figure out how to lay them out, but does eventually wake up from its coma and display something."

Interesting. So do we know why it's only started being a problem in the last couple of weeks? Has OpenTopic made some changes behind the scenes that's causing this?? Is it permanent? icon_frown.gif

Netscape has been doing this for me on and off for months. There are some pages that I try to view with 4.7 that take so long to actually display that I open them in a separate window while I continue surfing in the main window.

I recently dl'ed the beta for NS7 and it doesn't have that problem. It has other problems, but it displays pages quickly.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I'm having the same problem with many (not all) pages not loading. I have been off the site for awhile, and I didn't have the problem previously. Perhaps it's the "new" forum.

I am fortunate enought to have IE, as well as NS. I have been trying IE for the past 30 min., and it seems to work fine.

Any suggestions as to how the NS problem can be fixed, or should we just grin, and bear it?

Thanks,

Frank icon_frown.gif

I'm having the same problem with many (not all) pages not loading. I have been off the site for awhile, and I didn't have the problem previously. Perhaps it's the "new" forum.

I am fortunate enought to have IE, as well as NS. I have been trying IE for the past 30 min., and it seems to work fine.

Any suggestions as to how the NS problem can be fixed, or should we just grin, and bear it?

Thanks,

Frank icon_frown.gif

quote:
You could try turning JavaScript off. It'll make things look rather less pretty, but it might get there a bit faster...

Alternatively, if you have a choice, look around for an up-grade. Netscape 4's table-handling is just plain slow, and extremely fussy. One tag out of place and it doesn't bother rendering anything...

Me, I'm stuck for now. Both using IE and installing new stuff are banned for security reasons...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Actually, looking at the HTML source of the pages

from Netscape 4.77 and Netscape 6.2, it appears that Netscape 4.77 isn't getting the entire page. In 4.77 , the page seems to end abruptly near the "PopIt" button at the bottom of the page. So, it appears to be more than just someone forgetting to close the table. A sizable portion of the page is missing in 4.77.

Since I can't see this forum to determine exactly what the problem being discussed is, let me relate mine. I often can't see the forums (as in this case). It will load the page page and say done, and all I see is a blank white page. If I go out and back in, I can sometimes see stuff, but I may have to do it numerous times. I never have this problem when using IE.

Ok here we go..

I tried not logging in with NS 4.7 and viewing the forums. That works. As soon I tried to look at the "Geocaching.com Discussion" it logs me in and all I get are blank pages.

I may just switch to Opera 6.0 It crushes pop-up windows too. No more X-10 pop-ups.

I am so confused.

icon_confused.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

Ok here we go..

I tried not logging in with NS 4.7 and viewing the forums. That works. As soon I tried to look at the "Geocaching.com Discussion" it logs me in and all I get are blank pages.

I may just switch to Opera 6.0 It crushes pop-up windows too. No more X-10 pop-ups.

I am so confused.

icon_confused.gif

I've posted a question to the Infopop folks asking them if they've done any updates recently which would break Netscape's ability to render the forum pages. I'll post back here when I hear back from them.

Can anyone pinpoint about when this problem started? I'm guessing it was around the 23rd given that's when the first post in this thread was created, but let me know if there's a particular date this started occurring.

-Elias

Hello all,

I am the technician from Infopop who is looking into this, I have tried viewing the forums using Netscape 4.78 and I havent had a problem, if those that are having a problem could tell me what version they are using I will try and replicate, then see what can be done to fix.

quote:
Originally posted by katoth:

Alright, thats what I am talking about. I got it reproduced, so now I am going to see if I can figure out what is causing it.

I really hate Exploder and using it just to read the forums is starting to tick me off! icon_redface.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by katoth:

Alright, thats what I am talking about. I got it reproduced, so now I am going to see if I can figure out what is causing it.

I really hate Exploder and using it just to read the forums is starting to tick me off! icon_redface.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help. Now I can browse with my browser of choice.

Hmmmmmmmm....could be a song in there.

Hoorah that you can fix the problem!! I've been using IE to view the forums and sometime the geocaching pages and I now know I REALLY like Netscape better. Will you post a message to this thread when the problem is fixed?

It works somewhat.

You can read the first page of a thread. When you go to the next page it stays blank. Then you can't see and threads.

But that's just me. icon_frown.gif

It works somewhat.

You can read the first page of a thread. When you go to the next page it stays blank. Then you can't see and threads.

But that's just me. icon_frown.gif

I've been using a "new" browser for a couple of weeks. It is MOZILLA. For those of you who don't know, Netscape opensourced their browser a few years ago which became the mozilla project. (If you packt trace or look a t a web server log you will see that IE even calls itself Mozilla).

Mozilla has some really great features. You can turn off JUST popup windows while leaving javascript on. It has a PASSWORD PROTECTED form filling database that will autolog you into a web page if you want.

The neatest feature is the ability to use TAB browseing. I have my middle mouse button (or cntrol-click) set to open a link in a new TAB. These tabs lineup across under the tool bar WITHOUT opening a new window. I've also set the option to open the link in the back ground so it doesn't interfere with the page i'm on.

I come to the forums and middle click each forum I'm interested in. This gives me 3 or 4 tabs. I go to each tab and middle click each thread I'm interested in. When I'm done clicking I have a dozen pages open that I can then go read, reply to etc. I don't have to hit "BACK" and wait for a page to load either.

Another thing to point out is that Moz is cross platform and fully supports all STANDARDS properly, where IE and NS sometimes don't.

MOZ supports profiles so each person can have a profile. It supports skins so if your really sadistic you can make it look like IE!!!

All in all Mozilla has improved my surfing experience 100%

Visit http://www.mozilla.org/ and enjoy!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Check out 'Phoenix 0.5' web browser. Based on the Mozilla/Geko engine, it has most of the fluff stripped out (mail and such), and is a very fast, lean package. Supports tabbed browsing and excellent bookmark handling. It's small size makes it an easier download than the full mozilla package, and it unzips and installes into one directory. Support for Linux & Windows. Time to ditch the old 4.x netscape and move on.

Phoenix icon_wink.gif

I really have to laugh at everybody who says they just hate Internet Explorer. But hey it actually works. And it is the only thing they can use to see certain pages but it is a real pain. Oh boy, then stop your female dogging about it and stay with Netscape.

You want to know why Explorer works and Netscape often times won't? Early on Microsoft made a decision to as fully as possible to support standards, Netscape did not. It is now coming back to bite them in the butt.

It might be a good idea to say what you don't like about IE. To be honest other than the fact that IE works I can't see a difference. But then actually being able to see the web page is more important to me than being PC and bashing a wildly successful company because it is in fashion.