microSD cards in eTrex 20/30 etc

user13371

Does class or speed of matter on these? When in use, does the GPS load any faster from it's internal block of memory versus an add-in card?

To directly answer your question: I have not experimented with different brands so I cannot say anything about tolerance to variations of cards. I bought the cheapest "brand" name I could find - Kingston, and have had no problems. I have noticed no performance difference when using the card and that included running the OSM map from the card. I have since moved the map to core memory.

With everything loaded, including a 500MB map I still have > 1 GB free core memory. The only reason I got and used the SD cards was to be able to swap out databases while on a trip when I didn't want to use my hosts' computers to manage caches. At the time I thought the limit on caches was 2K. Now that I know the limit is 5K, I doubt I'll ever use the cards again.

Also since core memory isn't an issue, anything larger than a 2 GB card would likely be a waste. With a being large map around 500 MB and a 1 K cache GPX file at 5 MB you would be hard pressed to fill a 2 GB card unless you wanted to load a bunch of pictures.

Also since core memory isn't an issue, anything larger than a 2 GB card would likely be a waste. With a being large map around 500 MB and a 1 K cache GPX file at 5 MB you would be hard pressed to fill a 2 GB card unless you wanted to load a bunch of pictures.

I don't agree with that statement.

Just the southern half (below 60 degrees) of Topo Canada V4 is over 3gb, toss in City Nav NA 2012 at 1.6gb and a few Birdseye images and you can easily hit 8gb and we have no pictures yet.

I have a 16gb card in my montana, with about 14gb used

Of course it does depend on the expected usage and desires of the owner, but a blanket statement like that is a bit erroneous.

I don't agree with that statement.

Just the southern half (below 60 degrees) of Topo Canada V4 is over 3gb, toss in City Nav NA 2012 at 1.6gb and a few Birdseye images and you can easily hit 8gb and we have no pictures yet.

I have a 16gb card in my montana, with about 14gb used

Of course it does depend on the expected usage and desires of the owner, but a blanket statement like that is a bit erroneous.

Quite correct. Thanks for setting me straight!